lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
kpauley
Gone Wild

Default Re: What do I need to know about an MPT?

Cart looked good overall. Had some slight rust on the frame rails. He patched the dump bed with some fiberglass where there were a couple holes and it had some scuffs in the green but no major damage. He said he replaced a couple fender flares, seat covers and the batteries are refurbished interstate batteries (just acquired, has the receipt) and he put in all new cables and hold downs. The cables look to be done right too.

He said no programming has been done on it, he picked it up from a used car place that was using it as a lot vehicle, wasn't too sure where it was prior to that but it certainly does not look beat to hell.

It drove real nice, seemed complete. Not an original charger though, that was the only thing I was a little not sure about, I attached a picture of the charger, can't really tell what brand it is but looks like an eBay sort of thing. He said he did just buy that as well. I currently use a DPI charger, not sure where this sits in the realm of chargers and if I should be concerned or not, but it does seem like I could just mount it onboard which would be interesting I guess.

I got him to come down a little in price so I scooped it up, I think it will be a good addition to the farm and become our primary vehicle with the older one being the backup.

Anything I should know about the charger?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6122.jpg (124.2 KB, 0 views)
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #12
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpauley View Post
Cart looked good overall. Had some slight rust on the frame rails. He patched the dump bed with some fiberglass where there were a couple holes and it had some scuffs in the green but no major damage. He said he replaced a couple fender flares, seat covers and the batteries are refurbished interstate batteries (just acquired, has the receipt) and he put in all new cables and hold downs. The cables look to be done right too.

He said no programming has been done on it, he picked it up from a used car place that was using it as a lot vehicle, wasn't too sure where it was prior to that but it certainly does not look beat to hell.

It drove real nice, seemed complete. Not an original charger though, that was the only thing I was a little not sure about, I attached a picture of the charger, can't really tell what brand it is but looks like an eBay sort of thing. He said he did just buy that as well. I currently use a DPI charger, not sure where this sits in the realm of chargers and if I should be concerned or not, but it does seem like I could just mount it onboard which would be interesting I guess.

I got him to come down a little in price so I scooped it up, I think it will be a good addition to the farm and become our primary vehicle with the older one being the backup.

Anything I should know about the charger?
Cheap Chinese 6 Amp charger. Cannot really provide enough current to stir up the electrolyte well to prevent stratification. Your DPI is a better choice.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #13
kpauley
Gone Wild

I was afraid of that, means another expense unless I can find out if he has the original, will check. The DPI that I have now is a 42V, so it won't work for this cart....

If I do go out and buy a new charger, is DPI still the right choice for a 48V cart like this, or are there other ones I should look at (think I saw Scotty's has some different ones)>
Old 12-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #14
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpauley View Post
I was afraid of that, means another expense unless I can find out if he has the original, will check. The DPI that I have now is a 42V, so it won't work for this cart....

If I do go out and buy a new charger, is DPI still the right choice for a 48V cart like this, or are there other ones I should look at (think I saw Scotty's has some different ones)>
ScottyB would be the best one to respond to you on that.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

And be very, very sceptical of "refurbished batteries". Count those batteries as a liability. Starting to sound pretty sketchy. "refurbished batteries" is someone else's junk batteries. There is no real thing of "refurbished batteries", they are just as old/used as their date indicates. Price is too high for what you will be soon sinking in to it. Unless you can negotiate a different NEW set of batteries into the deal, run away. If you cannot negotiate the price way down, and he can keep his refurbished batteries don't do it. As soon as you said "refurbished batteries", the deal goes sour. Thats the sign of a "flipper" who doesn't care later, and the price is too high to get a good deal on that one. Tell him to keep his batteries, and knock $1000 off for the batteries you will be buying. A 8x 6 volt pack ain't cheap (can be done for somewhat less than $1k, keep that in mind while negotiating). Don't get ripped off on a bad deal because of loser batteries. Since they already said "refurbished batteries", negotiate those batteries out of the deal, you don't want that junk anyway. And be sure to tell them, "your batteries are out of the question, they are not a bargaining chip to me, I don't even want those", and don't buy it with their batteries in it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #16
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
And be very, very sceptical of "refurbished batteries". Count those batteries as a liability. Starting to sound pretty sketchy. "refurbished batteries" is someone else's junk batteries. There is no real thing of "refurbished batteries", they are just as old/used as their date indicates. Price is too high for what you will be soon sinking in to it. Unless you can negotiate a different NEW set of batteries into the deal, run away. If you cannot negotiate the price way down, and he can keep his refurbished batteries don't do it. As soon as you said "refurbished batteries", the deal goes sour. Thats the sign of a "flipper" who doesn't care later, and the price is too high to get a good deal on that one. Tell him to keep his batteries, and knock $1000 off for the batteries you will be buying. A 8x 6 volt pack ain't cheap (can be done for somewhat less than $1k, keep that in mind while negotiating). Don't get ripped off on a bad deal because of loser batteries. Since they already said "refurbished batteries", negotiate those batteries out of the deal, you don't want that junk anyway. And be sure to tell them, "your batteries are out of the question, they are not a bargaining chip to me, I don't even want those", and don't buy it with their batteries in it.
+1

Refurbished batteries = used/abused/trashed by someone else.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #17
kpauley
Gone Wild

I'm going today to pick up. I'm going to challenge him on the charger, see if he has the original charger. If not, I'll be buying a DPI.

On the batteries I'm going to look more at the paperwork he has and potentially challenge. I'm pretty sure he said refurbished but I'll dig in more. He did say he knew someone that was an Interstate distributor and he got a deal on the batteries, might be that they are blemished or something. I'll see what I can find out and deal with it. The cart seems to be in good shape overall and hopefully I can work something out.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #18
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Be sure to check the date stamp on all the batteries.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #19
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Put me in the group of extremely suspicious of the batteries. No labels at all--another red flag.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #20
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Not to steal any of Scotty's lighting and thunder.....but he just got in a nice lightweight charger (20amp) for 36V and 48V. It's a "Yewy" (Has to be some pun rhyming words to go with that!) Price is way reasonable!! http://www.cartsunlimited.net/yewy-1...t-charger.html
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO