lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
bigdogeasternshore
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default One Battery's state of charge seems low

I have looked through the forums for insight and could not find and answer, so I apologize if this has been already asked. :(

I purchased a 2016 club car precedent in January and have had a flashing battery light after about an hour of running for a while and was told by a dealer that the battery light was akin to a cars idiot light.

Yesterday I used the cart for a several hours and checked the voltage afterwards and had readings for one of the batteries was 2.4 V and the other five were 8.0 or so. I charged overnight and this morning and I had an 8.0 on the one battery and 8.3 on the others. I have not run a load test

Is it safe to assume I need to replace that battery?

BTW this is the battery where the accessories are attached. I have a factory installed USB and a LED headlight I installed.

Appreciate the help!
bigdogeasternshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: One Battery's state of charge seems low

That battery is toast. Get a voltage reducer instead of using 1 or 2 batteries to power your accessories to prevent it from happening again.
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well, I'm by no means an expert on the FLA battery front. However, it is not a good idea to run accessories on part of a battery pack. It is suggested that you utilize a separate battery/s or use a reducer to power accessories.

I'll let one of the experts help you with the question of replacing that battery, or other options.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Based on your voltage readings it looks like all batteries are gone, if that 2016 Precedent came off a golf course in January, that is pretty much all the practical life of the batteries.

Make sure you get the voltage converter installed when you replace the batteries.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
bigdogeasternshore
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks for the help.

I believe there is a voltage converter on it that was installed by the factory. I will double check to see where the negative is connected. I know the positive is connected to the bad battery.

I think I will replace the bad battery for the time being. Cart runs well even with the bad battery,

Any suggestions on replacement battery and where to buy ?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I think ideally most would suggest the same battery of the same vintage if you can find one. But, like Sergio said they are on the way out.

Also, you want a voltage reducer that uses the entire pack. 48-12 volt.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
bigdogeasternshore
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I stopped at a local battery place and they suggested that before i buy the battery to bring the charger in and have it checked out. When they did the reading it was 64.2 volts and apparently it is overcharging and they indicate that is what killed the first battery.

Update, I did some research on this site and i am surmising that 64 is normal for the deltaq charger in the beginning.

I did download the Simple IDAT software and downloaded the data from the charger. How do I read?

thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snap.jpg (89.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

64V is normal for a 48V charger. The ERIC charger can run up to 72V on a 48v pack depending on the battery type and charge profile.

What killed the battery is having the accessories run off of it, and age/use/neglect from being used on a golf course. Original batteries don't last long due to the heavy use they get on golf courses.

It's also very important with the ERIC charger that you update the charge profile to match your new batteries. Different batteries need different charging profiles to be properly charged to prevent under or overcharging. This is based on battery design, and the profile is specific to the battery manufacturer.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #9
bigdogeasternshore
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks. that seems to make sense
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car