lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
LicEngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2004 EZGO 36v TXT Series - Intermittent Stop and Go

Long time reader, first time poster.

Alltrax AXE 4844 - 200A Solenoid - Scotty B. 2 ga. cables and SW202 Reversing Contactor - 22x11-10 tires on Evader aluminum wheels - SoC DVM - Stock Curtis 2.0 hp motor

I have had intermittent stop and go issues with this cart for a couple of years, and have not been able to solve the issue.

When cart is misbehaving, solenoid clicks when pedal is pushed and I have pack voltage (38.4v) at B- and B+. Pack voltage at B- to solenoids small terminal with banded diode end.

With cart on jack stands, B- to M- reads full battery pack voltage when solenoid is activated. B- to M- goes to near zero volts when pedal to floor.

When cart misbehaves, B- to M- reads full battery pack voltage when solenoid is activated. B- to M- stays at full pack voltage when pedal to floor.

Pin #2 and Pin #3 at controller, 8.8v at solenoid click. 5.4v with pedal to floor.

Pin #2 to Pin #3 at controller, wires disconnected, 13.7v at solenoid click. 13.7 v with pedal to floor. Wires disconnected from ITS, 13.7v at solenoid click.

I have replaced my HD F&R switch and ITS. Eliminated Molex plug in favor of soldered and shrink wrapped connections (with dielectric grease).

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for reading this long thread.
LicEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 EZGO 36v TXT Series - Intermittent Stop and Go

There's no need for any connectors where the Molex was eliminated. This was simply a manufacturing/fabrication thing. It serves no purpose, other than another point of possible failure. I wouldn't hold my breath about that being your problem, but it's easy to eliminate.

Solenoid clicking but no go can only be a problem in the ITS circuit as far as wires.

Beyond that, it's cables. You replaced the FNR, which is the next place I'd look. A bad ITS circuit could explain B- to M- readings when it's misbehaving. I'm thinking an intermittent solenoid might, but wait for confirmation.

If you wanna check something fast and can't wait, when it misbehaves, try same B- to M- reading with no resister.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc100-043-B_DWG-AXE-EZGO-Wire-Dia.pdf (174.3 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
Dwalls
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mis read previous post

Last edited by Dwalls; 06-08-2019 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Mis read previous post
Dwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
LicEngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Roger that Yurtle, thanks.

What does eliminating the resistor do regarding the B- to M- reading?

Have not checked the solenoid in some time, may do that.

Have already eliminated the molex connector.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You replaced the Molex with other connectors, if I read you correctly. Those connectors serve no purpose.

I've never had to do troubleshooting anything on my stock, AXE4855, or my SR48500. Just glancing, I can see a path around the solenoid, if it fails to close, through the resister. I'd have to spend more time studying it, and don't really have time tonight. Have you gone through the http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-testing.html yet? It will only help you when it's not working though.

Finally, does your AXE throw any codes? LED blink codes? For ITS throttle, you'll get four green flashes, then solid green with throttle pressed to click solenoid. As you press throttle further, do you get a code?
Old 06-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
LicEngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I misspoke; when I removed the molex connection, I soldered the wires together and used heat shrink tubing - not added connectors. I also miswrote; it is not a Curtis motor but Advanced D.C. Motors.

I did go through the throttle testing some time ago, prior to replacing the throttle sensor when it looked like that might be the problem.

The AXE gives me the proper codes; 4 green blinks and solid green when pedal pushed (probably getting time to upgrade controller-its a 2011).

The solenoid is food for thought. Can I jumper that with just a 14 ga lead?

Thanks, I'll check back tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicEngr View Post
1. With cart on jack stands, B- to M- reads full battery pack voltage when solenoid is activated. B- to M- goes to near zero volts when pedal to floor.

2. When cart misbehaves, B- to M- reads full battery pack voltage when solenoid is activated. B- to M- stays at full pack voltage when pedal to floor.

3. Pin #2 and Pin #3 at controller, 8.8v at solenoid click. 5.4v with pedal to floor.

4. Pin #2 to Pin #3 at controller, wires disconnected, 13.7v at solenoid click. 13.7 v with pedal to floor. Wires disconnected from ITS, 13.7v at solenoid click.
1. Normal

2. This tells me the high current cables, connections and contacts are okay and either the throttle or controller isn't working.

3. Should be 10V at solenoid click and 6V with pedal on floor. Do you get same voltages when cart is working normally?

4. Not sure what this should be. Contact Alltrax.

Since you've already replaced the ITS sensor and eliminated the in-line connector, it's not looking too good for the controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I misspoke; when I removed the molex connection, I soldered the wires together and used heat shrink tubing - not added connectors. I also miswrote; it is not a Curtis motor but Advanced D.C. Motors.

I did go through the throttle testing some time ago, prior to replacing the throttle sensor when it looked like that might be the problem.

The AXE gives me the proper codes; 4 green blinks and solid green when pedal pushed (probably getting time to upgrade controller-its a 2011).

With pack voltage between B- and M- after solenoid click, the solenoid is very likely to be good.

Are you getting the 4-blinks and solid green while cart is misbehaving?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:

OK.

This would only help while it was misbehaving.

This would only give an error code while it was misbehaving.

If you want to bypass it, you would bypass the large lugs, and would need a 2 AWG cable. For a quickie test when it fails to go, this could be done on jack stands using car jumper cables. If you can connect them safely, you could try driving, then remove, connect, remove, to see if it reliably corrects the problem.

Intermittent problems are often the hardest to troubleshoot.

Just thought about one more thing that can cause a no go. The red power wire to the controller could be bad. It goes from the solenoid to controller pin 1.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
LicEngr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. Normal

OK.

2. This tells me the high current cables, connections and contacts are okay and either the throttle or controller isn't working.

OK.

3. Should be 10V at solenoid click and 6V with pedal on floor. Do you get same voltages when cart is working normally?

Yes, Pin #2 and Pin #3 at controller, 8.8v at solenoid click, 5.4v with pedal to floor when cart is working normally.

4. Not sure what this should be. Contact Alltrax.

Should be 12v -14v at controller pins 2 & 3 with wires disconnected, full throttle according to Alltrax technical support.

Since you've already replaced the ITS sensor and eliminated the in-line connector, it's not looking too good for the controller.
That is what I am thinking.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO