lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
Sabinaman
Not Yet Wild

Default pds problems

I have a 2003 pds with a 6'' lift and 22'' tires. Everything else is stock except I upgraded to 4 gauge wires and it has the red plug in it. Ill be cruising along about 15mph and all of a sudden it feels like the Regenerative Braking kicks in but its disabled. Ill let out of it and press the pedal and its fine for a few more minutes. Can anyone think of whats causing this issue...thanks so much.
Sabinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: pds problems

The regen braking isn't disabled in the Freedom mode, it simply isn't activated when you lift your foot on the pedal. It still activates when cart is pushed or towed while in Run and when max speed for the mode it is in is exceeded going downhill.

Put the controller in diagnostic mode and listen for error codes being beeped. (Text at bottom of attached PDS label tell you how.)

------
Oversized tires are rough on stock PDS controller, so it may be on its way out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

So JB you are saying a bad speed sensor could be causing this problem?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:21 PM   #4
Sabinaman
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much. First ill try to listen for the error codes and see what comes up.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
So JB you are saying a bad speed sensor could be causing this problem?
Not specifically, but a bad speed sensor might be a possibility.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:35 AM   #6
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Not specifically, but a bad speed sensor might be a possibility.
Similar to the issue I just diagnosed and resolved on my recently acquired 2004 PDS. The F1 cable and the speed sensor cable had chunks out of them in the same spot in the wire run that my DCS cart had chunks out in the motor wire.

Speed sensor wire was making contact to frame and F1 too. It would be going along nicely and then konk out in a similar pattern.

That 90-degree turn with the ring attached to the battery box seems to eat wires on EZGO TXTs.

Here is a photo of what I am talking about on my cart. The arrow points at the ring that seems to eat wires but, you can see the chunk out of the grey wire just behind it. (The grey wire is the speed sensor.) I moved the ring forward to expose the chunks as it not connected to the battery box as I removed it.

PDSWireIssues.jpg

Check to make sure the wires in that area are not damaged. Seems to be a common spot for issues on the TXTs.

Cheers,
Impaled
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:23 AM   #7
Sabinaman
Not Yet Wild

I will definitely check that as well. I’ll let you know what I find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The motor moves forward and back quite a ways during braking and acceleration, so the four or five cables attached to the motor that are tied together in a bundle, move quite a bit also.

I rerouted the cables from controller to motor over the heatsink instead of under it to get more slack and moved the gained slack into the motor area.

----------------

My cart only has two seats, but sometime a third person will stand on rear bumper and hold onto the roof supports. My wife was driving, our friend in the passenger seat and me in back as we went to a nearby park. Because my motor gets hot, I removed the center cover and left it off, so the motor was visible and I was amazed at how much it moved even though my wife was babying the cart.

Later, I got a friend to drive the cart while I held on for dear life and my best guess is my motor will shift as much as 4" forward or back during hard braking or hard acceleration.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO