lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
lordvader
Not Yet Wild

Default 1985 club car, 36v solenoid/speed control issue

Hi , new to the forum, and i hope i am playing by the rules. i have a 1985 club car electric (36 volts). When i press on the accelerator, the first click basically gives me whiplash. Also, the other day, the cart had a mind of its own, and would continue to go in forward or reverse, even with the key in the off position. Only way i could stop it was to put the selector to neutral! Scary because i have a niece and nephew that drive it occasionally. I assumed that it was something to do with the solenoids or speed control. Looked under the seat and saw that the number 2 solenoid where it was attached to the first resistor coil had been rotted off. The coil wasn't even touching the terminal. So i replaced the coil bracket. I also cleaned up and put dielectric grease on the switch attached to the forward/reverse selector switch. I also took a hammer and a steel rod, and lightly tapped on the first solenoid.. it immediately worked, and the cart would sit still with the key on and the selector in forward or reverse. I replaced the number one solenoid thinking it was hanging up. The cart is functioning properly now, and seems safe, but what hasn't changed is the fact that it goes straight from nothing to 3rd gear. It goes about half normal speed at the first click. The way i understand it, the cart shouldn't move at first click because the first solenoid is designed to be the master that supplies power to the bus bar that goes across the entire bank. Sorry this is so long, but im trying to include all the information. I decided to test the solenoids, so i looked up a procedure that told me to disconnect the cables from each end of the bank of solenoids, and then proceed to check how many ohms i had between the 2 primary (large terminals) on each of the solenoids. I was under the assumption that on each individual solenoid, i would have no reading of continuity unless the key was on, the gear selector was in forward or reverse, and i pressed the accelerator to the point where that particular solenoid was triggered by the speed control switches. The only solenoid that i do not have continuity on under that circumstance, is the first one, which i have guessed is because there are no resistor coils attached. I am baffled... all of the solenoids click individually as you press the accelerator. I am at a loss. Any ideas?
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2019, 10:50 PM   #2
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1985 club car, 36v solenoid/speed control issue

You had the master solenoid that was bad hitting with a hammer made it work you should have 4 speeds three goes tru resistors 4th is direct battery voltage I would jack it up check your speeds sounds like one isn’t working to me
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
lordvader
Not Yet Wild

it seems like it only has one or maybe two speeds on the ground.. thanks, i will try jacking it up. I just dont know why it starts off full blast if i just replaced the first 2 solenoids.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
EJFleming68
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You have at leaset one stuck solenoid. They can "click" but still be stuck.
You should not have any continuity when the solenoids are off.
From Right to Left you should have Master Solenoid, #1 Speed, #2 Speed, #3 Speed, Full Speed solenoids. I would replace the Master then work from Left to Right. One of your higher speed Solenoids are stuck.
EJFleming68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car