lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
Mike Dunlap
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default can i ground my batteries ground to the frame for accessories?

I have a 2001 Club Car DS and am adding electric accessories. it seems like i read that the batteries ground shouldnt be sent to the frame. is that correct and how would it affect the system if it was grounded to the frame. im new to all of this and i really do appreciate that there are people here who are not only very knowledgeable but willing to share their knowledge.
Mike Dunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: can i ground my batteries ground to the frame for accessories?

No sir. Biggest No-No in electric carts.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

DO NOT ground to frame on electric golf cart or any electric vehicle. The voltage is high enough to KILL. Even if you are using a voltage reducer for light etc, it feeds back to the high voltage. Be safe.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

The negative is thru the pack and the controller and other accessories you its Neg (-). There are terminal strips or Negative buss bars that can be utilized for completing the circuit for your 48v accessories (or reducer if applicable). You DS should have a Neg strip under the seat and another behind the dash. They will come from the back of the cart at B- or a tap there to allow for the energy units to be captured by the OBC and then returned to the pack during the re-charge process.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Short answer: DO NOT GROUND THE BATTERY PACK TO THE FRAME! All kinds of odd things, up to and including melting drive components can result from it. Use a DC to DC power converter suitable for the voltage of your cart and a bit beyond the amps of the accessories you intend to install. Ground all your accessories through that power converter.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
Mike Dunlap
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thank you sir for the quick reply. i am upgrading my ds series system and smoked my new controller and for the life if me couldnt figure what caused it and why it wouldnt turn the rear wheels. i sucked it up and have another one coming. im very greatful that if this is what caused it i will definately remove that ground to the frame. "live and learn i guess" hopefully if anyone sees this thread and is tempted to do what i did they can save the same results i got. thenk you again
Old 10-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #7
Mike Dunlap
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Short answer: DO NOT GROUND THE BATTERY PACK TO THE FRAME! All kinds of odd things, up to and including melting drive components can result from it. Use a DC to DC power converter suitable for the voltage of your cart and a bit beyond the amps of the accessories you intend to install. Ground all your accessories through that power converter.
thank you very much for your response. i have removed the ground to the frame and will send ground to each unit needing it seperately. i do have a dc to dc downconverter for 48 to 12 volt set up and am going from first battery to the last one. you guys have answered with some great responsed and answered more than a few questions in thei post. im very greatful
Old 10-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #8
Mike Dunlap
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
thank you sir for the quick reply. i am upgrading my ds series system and smoked my new controller and for the life if me couldnt figure what caused it and why it wouldnt turn the rear wheels. i sucked it up and have another one coming. im very greatful that if this is what caused it i will definately remove that ground to the frame. "live and learn i guess" hopefully if anyone sees this thread and is tempted to do what i did they can save the same results i got. thenk you again
Old 10-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #9
Mike Dunlap
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
The negative is thru the pack and the controller and other accessories you its Neg (-). There are terminal strips or Negative buss bars that can be utilized for completing the circuit for your 48v accessories (or reducer if applicable). You DS should have a Neg strip under the seat and another behind the dash. They will come from the back of the cart at B- or a tap there to allow for the energy units to be captured by the OBC and then returned to the pack during the re-charge process.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #10
Mike Dunlap
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
thank you noelfanforever. "im still getting used to usinf this forum so please forgive me if i have replied in the wrong places " i have seen that strip and wondered about it. i shall make use of it and will use the ground off of the converter on 12 volt side or 48 volt side where applicable. i really do appreciate this info
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car