lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
iamoldschool
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Updating my 08 Precedent

Just purchased my 2008 Precedent IQ about a month ago. The lady I bought it from didn't know what was wrong with it. She said it probably needed batteries and she didn't think the charger was working. The batteries turned out to be bad (swollen, though they had water above all plates). After replacing the batteries and verifying that the motor was operating as it should, I connected the charger and it would not come on. Took the charger to the original selling dealer and he verified that the charger was working correctly, so the problem was the OBC. Rather than replace the OBC, I ordered an on-board Lester charger and connected directly to the positive on battery 1 and negative on battery 6. Now all is good with the charging system. The cart had been used by an elderly gentleman in his neighborhood to give out ice cream to kids, so had a flashing blue light on top, as well as a box that plays music and animal sounds, along with sirens. Since I didn't want to get a ticket for the blue light, I replaced it with an LED flood light that will most likely come in handy at the campground. My most recent mod was to add a hoop/hitch on the back. Next will likely be a new windshield as the existing one has some cracks and hazing. This carting stuff is turning out to be a lot like my Goldwing. The initial purchase isn't the expensive part; it's the brown truck coming weekly that gets expensive.

This is my first post, but have been reading up and learning here. Thanks to all for that. You may have helped me, but didn't know it.
iamoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Updating my 08 Precedent

Sergio or David may correct me, but I am pretty sure that if you did not do the OBC bypass, your cart will eventually be locked out by the OBC, even though your new charger has your batteries fully charged. Perform the OBC bypass to use the charger.
Here is a sticky on it:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...bypassing.html
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #3
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Welcome to the addiction.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
iamoldschool
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

[QUOTE=PingEye3;1662951]Sergio or David may correct me, but I am pretty sure that if you did not do the OBC bypass, your cart will eventually be locked out by the OBC, even though your new charger has your batteries fully charged. Perform the OBC bypass to use the charger.

Hmmm... Thought I did my research pretty well. This isn't the Lester charger that uses the 3 pin, this is the one that is wired directly to battery 1+ and battery 6-.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The OBC in addition to controlling the charging system also does the Controller lockout function.

Since Your new charger leads are going directly to the batteries, the OBC cannot see the batteries getting charged and will eventually cause issues.

The OBC lockout by-pass is as simple as cutting the Blue and White wires that go into the OBC 6-pin connector and connecting them to each other.

If You would like to have the new charger locking the controller from moving while the charger is connected to the cart, tell us the exact charger model number You bought for specific instructions.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
iamoldschool
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The charger I bought is a Lester Summit II. It doesn't have the three pin connector, but has a hot wire, a ground wire and a blue wire for what I assume is the controller lockout. I'm unsure of the exact model number and the cart is stored on another property so I can't look easily. Where is the connector for the OBC? Computer end or plug end? Also, thank you for your help.

Edit: Found the model number on the web site where it was purchased:

Lester Electrical Summit Series II 36V-48V / 30600E05AKBS00B2 / 30600
Old 10-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is the best model to directly replace the OBC lockout.

All You need to do is to cut the Blue wire that goes into the OBC and connect the Blue wire from your Summitt II to the end of the Blue wire that goes into the harness.

After that the OBC can be removed from the cart entirely or left unplugged, your choice.

The OBC 6-pin connector is located 5 inches from the OBC itself.

Make sure You run the Lester app to verify the charger is configured for onboard use and has the correct battery profile for your batteries.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
iamoldschool
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

On my cart, the OBC is mounted behind a vertical panel at the rear of the battery compartment, as I understand. To disconnect the OBC, I will need to remove the rear body section and 4 batteries. Is this correct or can the connector be accessed without having to remove the cover?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You don't need to remove the batteries, just remove the cart access panel from the back #2 and the Electronics cover #5:

You can then disconnect the OBC #15, cut the blue wire and connect the harness side to the Lester 30600 Blue wire:
Old 10-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #10
iamoldschool
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you for your wisdom and guidance. Kinda wish I'd had this sorted before I installed the hoop/hitch. That hoop is going to make it a pain to get to the access panel. Is the connector with the blue wire on the side of the panel shown or on the other side?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car