lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
Musthang
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Limp Mode! Speed Sensor? Magnet?

My 2007 Precedent is in Limp Mode (8mph top speed)! I pulled the sensor today and the magnet has about an 1/8” of play to it almost like the bolt isn’t tight.
Is this normal or should it be pressed all the way against the motor with no play at all?
Not sure if I should order both the high speed magnet and speed sensor or just the magnet in hopes that the sensor is still good?
Any thought or suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAB48942-6AD8-4058-9B53-D29D80856585.jpg (110.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 41594D94-78B9-4DF1-AB49-C446800D83DE.jpg (45.5 KB, 0 views)
Musthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: Limp Mode! Speed Sensor? Magnet?

Magnet shouldn't move or spin like a fidget spinner at all.

Often if the magnet isn't cracked the sensor is what fails. Is your car lifted? That seems to be what I see on lifted cars. Not sure why though.

If the magnet fails and you have the Curtis handheld, it won't show a fault but car goes to limp mode anyway. we had one with a cracked magnet doing this. the fault shows for sure if you unplugged the sensor or it was bad. I don't think the fault is logged for a bad magnet, it seems to be a 'speed sensor not present/open circuit to sensor' that causes the fault to show up. But still good to rule out the sensor or the magnet.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:21 PM   #3
Musthang
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Magnet shouldn't move or spin like a fidget spinner at all.

Often if the magnet isn't cracked the sensor is what fails. Is your car lifted? That seems to be what I see on lifted cars. Not sure why though.

If the magnet fails and you have the Curtis handheld, it won't show a fault but car goes to limp mode anyway. we had one with a cracked magnet doing this. the fault shows for sure if you unplugged the sensor or it was bad. I don't think the fault is logged for a bad magnet, it seems to be a 'speed sensor not present/open circuit to sensor' that causes the fault to show up. But still good to rule out the sensor or the magnet.
Thanks for responding Nick!
I tightened the bolt to prevent the magnet from spinning like a fidget spinner and that didn’t help. The magnet did not appear to be cracked at all so I’m gonna assume it’s the sensor.

The car is lifted but has smaller tires on it.

Would it be worth the extra $40 to put a High Speed magnet on this thing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0AFE130B-7A81-41EE-AF41-BFFE1EF7BF64.jpg (155.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-28-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

the high speed magnet just avoids having to shell out $$$ to get Club Car to set your controller to speed code 4, which would unlock 19.5 MPH on a non-lifted car (lifted gives you roughly 2-3 MPH more due to larger tires). The high speed magnet is a budget method to basically fool the controller to assume you're going slower which makes the same result--19.5-20 MPH without the price Club Car charges.

But you should really get a handheld to properly diagnose the faults. the more computerized golf carts become, the more it becomes necessary
Old 10-28-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

If the magnet isn't cracked, then the magnet is fine. Have you tried the speed sensor push test? It's an easy way to tell if the sensor is communicating with the controller.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...nsor-test.html
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #6
Musthang
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
If the magnet isn't cracked, then the magnet is fine. Have you tried the speed sensor push test? It's an easy way to tell if the sensor is communicating with the controller.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...nsor-test.html
I did try the push test and there was no buzzer or resistance at all. I went ahead and ordered a high speed magnet just for the extra speed and a new sensor today so hopefully that fixes my problem.
I will report back as soon as they come in and I try them out.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

That's the sensor.

BTW when the magnet is the issue (i.e., cracked) you will get the resistance and buzzer and no fault would show up on the handheld but the limp mode still happens.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
Musthang
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
That's the sensor.

BTW when the magnet is the issue (i.e., cracked) you will get the resistance and buzzer and no fault would show up on the handheld but the limp mode still happens.
Thanks Nick, That’s good to know! I have a gas Yamaha that I use at the drag races but I picked this car up to fix and sell later on. It’s been a challenge but I think I’ve just about got it fixed up.
This forum has definitely been a life saver though! You guys are awesome!
Old 10-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
Musthang
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just installed a new speed sensor and high speed magnet and I’m still in limp mode at 8mph.
What am I doing wrong?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure someone did not replace the magnet screw with a longer one, it should be 1/4-20 x 0.5" and torqued to 65 IN-LB.

It should not bottom out without pressing on the magnet.

If the cart passes the "push" test, You have a welded Solenoid.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car