lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2020, 10:01 PM   #1
DrewATL
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo L6 elite turtle rabbit switch

I just bought a 2020 Express L6 Elite. The turtle/rabbit switch appears to do nothing. My dealer said it’s because I asked them to set the cart to the higher speed setting when they delivered it. Does this sound right? I am guessing my dealer programmed the cart to run faster- which made the turtle setting not work.

Thanks
DrewATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2020, 12:32 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo L6 elite turtle rabbit switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewATL View Post
I just bought a 2020 Express L6 Elite. The turtle/rabbit switch appears to do nothing. My dealer said it’s because I asked them to set the cart to the higher speed setting when they delivered it. Does this sound right? I am guessing my dealer programmed the cart to run faster- which made the turtle setting not work.

Thanks
When dealers go in there with their handset and attempt to increase the speed, they corrupt the controller. This disables the functionality of the turtle/rabbit mode switch. I have attempted to correct this on a few 2020s that this was done to and have not had much luck because the files to reflash the controller back to stock are just not available on these new ones. I have had success with the older ones however. If you trust the dealer enough to let them mess with the controller settings, you are stuck with the results. Or you can buy a brand new controller and never let the dealer mess with it!

Once these controllers are corrupted, they cannot be unlocked in order to be properly reprogrammed for increased speed and performance tuning. I have warned members about this before, but most ignore the warnings and end up in your shoes...

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
DrewATL
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for reply. Yeah- I just joined the site. Didn’t realize they were gonna mess with the controller. He just said I had the option of slow or fast speed so I chose fast. I’m sending it back for the roof to be replaced since ezgo website specs got the roof height wrong with the longer roof. I may ask him to fix the rabbit switch since it’s under warranty and was delivered to me without a working switch.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
DrewATL
Not Yet Wild

In case I can’t get the dealer to set it back to how it was so the turtle rabbit switch works again, under a warranty repair, does anyone have recommendations on what speed controller I should replace it with? Just the factory one?
Old 01-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for reply. Yeah- I just joined the site. Didn’t realize they were gonna mess with the controller. He just said I had the option of slow or fast speed so I chose fast. I’m sending it back for the roof to be replaced since ezgo website specs got the roof height wrong with the longer roof. I may ask him to fix the rabbit switch since it’s under warranty and was delivered to me without a working switch.
Good luck getting it fixed by the dealer. Once a controller is corrupted like that, even undoing what was done will not uncorrupt the controller. Curtis/E-Z-GO created the new routine to leave proof that someone has messed with settings that they know that they are not allowed to mess with. It voids the controllers warranty. I wrote OS for these controllers, so I know how to unlock them, if they have not been messed with. Once corrupted, it takes a reflash with the original OS/VCL to restore it back to original before it can be unlocked. Dealers cannot do that, they can only replace the controller with a new one that has not been tampered with. Once unlocked, changes can be made without leaving evidence of tampering, then the controller is relocked.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
In case I can’t get the dealer to set it back to how it was so the turtle rabbit switch works again, under a warranty repair, does anyone have recommendations on what speed controller I should replace it with? Just the factory one?
Unfotunately, with the Elite versions of that cart, the controller must be replaced with the exact same model controller so that the lithium packs BMS can integrate and communicate with the controller.

Bob
Old 03-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
fulltilt06
Not Yet Wild

I am looking to have my controller worked on with my new 2020 Elite. Very slow compared to my older versions. I am trying to get my few posts in so I can PM usgicollector about sending the controller in.
fulltilt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltilt06 View Post
I am looking to have my controller worked on with my new 2020 Elite. Very slow compared to my older versions. I am trying to get my few posts in so I can PM usgicollector about sending the controller in.
They cannot be done via mail. With Elite models of all types, it requires the BMS and lithium battery connected for the controller to operate, they have to communicate.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:08 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

"Interesting" that Textron has built a controller that can't (at this point) be replaced with an aftermarket controller.

Also interesting that the factory controller has been programed to be "impenetrable" by tech guys.....at least at this point.

Maybe Textron will see the errors of their ways and release software that will at least put the settings back to factory ones.....or maybe just sell more controllers when this happens.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
"Interesting" that Textron has built a controller that can't (at this point) be replaced with an aftermarket controller.

Also interesting that the factory controller has been programed to be "impenetrable" by tech guys.....at least at this point.

Maybe Textron will see the errors of their ways and release software that will at least put the settings back to factory ones.....or maybe just sell more controllers when this happens.
It just has to be done right. Dealers have been corrupting the controllers lately. Thank goodness fulltilt06s carts are now enjoying enhanced speed and performance.

I have not heard back from DrewATL to see if his can be uncorrupted. If it has been operated for too long with the dealers corruption, it will burn out the turtle side of the controller. Only a new controller will fix that. I now have the files to uncorrupt the 2020 controllers. As long as they have not yet burned out, I can uncorrupt them. Even if burned out, I can speed them up and enhance the performance, I just cannot restore the burned out side of the controller.

Tags
elite l6, lithium, rabbit, speed, turtle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO