lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
OilfieldHand
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 2008 Club Car Precedent NO REVERSE & controller gets hot

2008 Club Car Precedent. Controller was getting hot while riding slow and would golf cart would stop, after letting controller cool down for a little while, cart would operate properly. Changed out controller with rebuilt, still gets hot and no reverse. Checked forward/reverse switch, switch good. Any ideas?

Last edited by OilfieldHand; 01-12-2020 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: 2008 Club Car Precedent NO REVERSE & controller gets hot
OilfieldHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2020, 07:45 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2008 Club Car Precedent NO REVERSE & controller gets hot

There is a safety in the controller to shut it down. If you are riding slow (woods or trails or lift kit/big tires, etc.) an stock IQ system does not handle that as well as a Series.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
OilfieldHand
Not Yet Wild

How can I change/correct this issue?
Old 01-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Several options. A lower RPM torque motor is designed to dissipate the heat better, but generally require an upgraded controller. And Alltrax makes an XCT controller (https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/a...ct-controllers) you can bolt on and have a cooling fan to help. The XCT300 is Plug&Play and you can add the fan, OR you buy the XCT500 that comes with the fan and it can be programmed for your factory set up and no other changes required, then if down the road you upgrade the motor, you can then add on the solenoid and cables at that time.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The "No Reverse" symptom may indicate a short in the Motor or bad/incorrect wiring.

While is still possible You got two bad controllers in a row, make sure the F1 and F2 cables to the Motor are properly connected and in good shape.

If So, disconnect all cables from the motor and make sure no post has continuity to the motor frame.

Also verify the F1 and F2 posts do not have continuity to the A1 or A2 posts.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Oh by all means check the motor and cabling. I completely missed the edited "No Reverse" part as I had read this earlier in the day and had to leave and then answered it later on when I returned. I was still focusing on low speed heat generation....
Old 01-13-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree on everything You said about reducing the heat if it is being caused just by excessive low speed driving, but that symptom could possible indicate a bad motor.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:10 AM   #8
OilfieldHand
Not Yet Wild

Thank ya'll for the input. The over heating only happened when were driving slow with four people on cart. I had a guy that worked on golf carts tell me that it was possible my controller was getting weak. So I had him order me a new controller (he got me a remanufactured controller). After installing controller, no reverse. I got back with the same guy I bought the controller from and he had me test the forward/reverse switch, still no reverse. Cant get back in touch with him anymore, no answer, go figure.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If your reverse was working before the replacement, and there is no problem at the switch, then while checking the motor you can swap the F1/F2 cables at the motor (In Tow and batteries disconnected - double wrench all motor posts!) and if see if you gain Reverse and lose Forward. If that happens, you have a bad FET in this current controller.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #10
OilfieldHand
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I will try this. If there is a bad FET in my current controller, how can I fix that?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car