lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #1
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Powerwise Charger Sense Wire Melted

I just bought a 2001 EZGO TXT (Shuttle 2+2?)(Series) 36v Cart to rebuild, which didn't have batteries. It came with a Powerwise Onboard charger, which I 'removed' from cart and bought and installed an EZGO charger plug. I bought new batteries, and connected all the basic wiring to the cart. Everything on the cart works great and I was able to drive it around the block.

Problem comes when I connect my charger plug to the cart's charging receptacle, it immediately burnt up the sensing wire within my charger's plug (the little flat, bent piece of metal). I didn't have the charger plugged into the wall yet, as I wanted to see if my cart would move forward or back with just the plug attached to the receptacle (from another video, it was supposed to disable the motor from moving while just being connected).

Not sure where to go from here. Any ideas what would cause the burnt wire/connector? I have no idea if the Powerwise charger even works yet.

Thanks.
Kookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powerwise Charger Sense Wire Melted

The battery sense contact circuit for the charge and the circuit that disables cart when a charger is plugged in are two separate and electrically unrelated circuits

The charger interlock (reed switch) connects to the positive terminal inside the receptacle and the charger's battery sense circuit to the outside of the negative terminal via the auxiliary contact.

Here is an image of how the receptacle can be wired. (Reed switch is bypassed and insulator sleeve on positive terminal is missing)

What is the model of the PW charger????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2460.jpg (157.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:50 PM   #3
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Model is a 28115-G03. Attached is a pic of the charger and the melted red lead on the charger plug. The cart receptacle seems to be fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powerwisw 28115-G03.jpg (221.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Terminal.jpg (234.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookster View Post
Model is a 28115-G03. Attached is a pic of the charger and the melted red lead on the charger plug. The cart receptacle seems to be fine.
Something has got to be cross-wired someplace to get that amount of melting.

Pictures of the battery pack showing both main positive and main negative terminal with high amp and charging cables attached, charge receptacle with top off and PW "D" plug opened and showing more of all three wires, would help.

Here is a schematic for that charger showing how to bypass the melted auxiliary contact and a manual for the PW-28115 charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW Charger Schematic - Aux contact bypassed.JPG (72.9 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PW Charger manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, JohnnieB. Here’s some pics you asked for. Battery pack, charger receptacle top off, PW “D” plug wires (with melted contact).

I’m not sure what the PW auxiliary contact is for, would you recommend I just bypass it? Remember, I didn’t even have the PW charger plugged into the wall yet, only connected it to the cart receptacle when it melted the aux contact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart 3.jpg (232.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart1.jpg (224.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart.jpg (250.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart2.jpg (162.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200428_132742.jpg (195.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Battery pack, cart's charge receptacle and charger's output plug all appear to be wired correctly, maybe the battery sense wire isn't connected correctly inside the charger.

It is a bit tricky since the cable has Black, White and Red wires and Red is often used as positive. If the red wire in that cable was connected to any of the red wires inside the charger or the heatsink, you'd get a dead short between B+ and B- when you plugged charger into cart.

Open the charger and disconnect the output cable's red wire from whatever it is attached to (after taking pictures of it) and insulated it with shrink tubing or electrical tape.

Then connect the black wire coming off the control board (it's the smaller black wire adjacent to a similar sized red wire that connects to the heatsink) to the centertap of the transformer. The centertap will be two wires coming out of the transformer connected to a black wire going to the output cable. Just add the black wire from the control board the the three wires fastened together with a screw and nut. The centertap wire are in the red circle on the attached picture. the black wire to the output cable is hanging in midair on the left.

----------
The auxiliary contact was an EZGO/Powerwise attempt to move the battery sensing closer to the battery pack. Basically 1/2 of a Kelvin or 4-wire test lead arrangement. Works as well, if not better, when control board's negative sense lead is connected to transformer's centertap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powerwise charger 005 - edited.JPG (209.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok, I'll give that a try. Here's a couple pics of the inside of my charger (before your recommendation). It looks like the small black wire from control board is already connected to the centertap of transformer. All I need to do is disconnect and insulate the red wire from the output cable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pw2.jpg (238.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PWcr.jpg (123.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the red wire that is connected to the yellow wire at the top of the second picture, is the red wire coming from the output cable, that is why the all of the POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN occurred.

That appears to be a relay so it can be used as an onboard charger, so it is no longer needed if you are using it as a standalone.

Pull the bluer wire off the heatsink, the remove the red wire from the "On-Board" relay that goes to the control board and connect it where the blue wire was. That should reconfigure it for standalone use.

It appears the black wire from the control board is already connected to the transformer centertap.

Probably better check the diodes and fuse. They got hit pretty hard when the aux. contact was vaporized.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #9
Kookster
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes, the red wire from the output cable is connected to the yellow wire at the top of that black box looking thing (onboard relay?). I disconnected both of those. Do I terminate both of those, even the red wire going to the output cable?
I then took the blue wire off the heatsink. I unplugged red wire from the onboard relay (other end is control board) and connected it to the heatsink.

I now have a disconnected red wire (going to the output plug), a yellow wire going to the Onboard Relay box, and a blue wire from the heatsink. What should I do with these?
Pictures are provided.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fix1.jpg (183.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Fix.jpg (238.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookster View Post
Yes, the red wire from the output cable is connected to the yellow wire at the top of that black box looking thing (onboard relay?). I disconnected both of those. Do I terminate both of those, even the red wire going to the output cable?
I then took the blue wire off the heatsink. I unplugged red wire from the onboard relay (other end is control board) and connected it to the heatsink.

1. I now have a disconnected red wire (going to the output plug),
2. a yellow wire going to the Onboard Relay box, and
3. a blue wire from the heatsink. What should I do with these?
Pictures are provided.
1. Insulate the exposed metal of the push-on connector from touching anything, or cut wire off as close as possible to where output cable enters charger face plate.

2. & 3. Remove other end from on-board relay and toss in waste basket or junk drawer.

Looks like you have it wired to run as a stand alone with a two wire output cord.

Check the diodes and fuses.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO