lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Default kingpin bushing/camber plate question

Posted this in the for sale section like a doofus, mods - you can remove that thread - many apologies

Howdy all - I've mentioned before that starting last year, I went through my '08 Precedent and replaced all the front end parts, bushings, springs, all of it. I am now chasing what feels like some play/looseness over bumps.

I bought a Precedent manual and started looking - one thing that jumps out to me is that when I replaced the kingpins and the bushings, I did not use a press, as they slid in fairly easily. There are small gaps, so they aren't flush. Could this be my problem? Is there a DIY way to press these in without a proper press?

The other question I had was the camber plate bolts. After I did the HD front leaf spring, I had a bear of a time getting the stock bolts to catch - so much so that I replaced two of them with longer stainless bolts that match the thread but don't want to seem to torque. Are there better alternatives to these?

Thank you for all the help so far! I really want to get the suspension stuff worked out before I upgrade to some go-fast stuff this summer.
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: kingpin bushing/camber plate question

Stainless bolts are generally not strong enough for use in suspension. Those bolts are long enough that it's just stretching the bolts when you're trying torque them. That't not a part that generally moves, but if you hit a bump just right, there's a chance those bolts can shear. You need grade 10.9 Metric hardware to replace those.

The king pin bushings should be a tight press fit, and they are supposed to be reamed to size after pressing them into the spindle. Sounds like either your spindle is damaged or perhaps you got the wrong bushings.

Where did you buy the bushings? Were they OEM Club Car or aftermarket?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Thank you! I can source the correct bolts. I should have known as soon as I typed stainless they’d be too soft. Makes sense.

The bushings were OEM club car replacements that I did not press in, got them in a full set from Revolution - I’m wondering if I pull the kingpins and have the bushings pressed all the way in properly if that would help - in that case is there a DIY way for me to do it - mallet, bench vise, etc or do these need a more professional approach?
Old 05-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Sounds like this cart has a spindle lift kit on it. Even with all new stuff, it's still gonna drive funny. That's the nature of a spindle lift. Is it lifted?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Thanks! There is no lift on the cart - I just went to 12" Onward wheels/tires at 19.5" tall and they rub at full lock. When I did the rebuild early last year, I used the following parts:

(I am not sure how you guys feel about posting links, so I will refrain unless you ask me to)

- Buggies Unlimited deluxe front end repair kit - this had kingpins, bushings, clevis', wave washers and hubs

-Redhawk steering box

-Dr. Accessories tie rod ends

later in the year I replaced the front spring with an HD leaf (a MODZ model from DIY Golf Cart because they shipped it super fast)

so, right now, I am on original spindles and a-arms. When I replaced those bushings a few weeks ago from kit I got from revolution, I did not need to press them into the spindles all that hard and I don't remember using a wave washer.

Basically, it creaks horribly, even when slathered in lube/white lithium spray. I can lean on it and get it to creak. I feel like I'm close, and I'd like to get it as good as I can before I put some go-fast stuff on it.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Quick update - I had my daughter rock it while I laid under it and felt around with my hands - I can definitely feel the friction from the spindle. I don't remember super clearly, but there's a chance it was driven before I lubed them last year (because I am not that bright) - even after lubing these again, sound is no better, and feel just as 'gritty'.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The spindle bushings wont creak with Up/down movement of the suspension.
The control arm bushings and lower spring bushing will.
I'd be almost willing to bet the control arm bushings are shot if you got them from BU.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #8
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Thanks! I will check them this weekend - I won't have time to tear it apart this week.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had the same front end problems. It seemed like I chased them for years throwing all kind of money at it. I finally decided to cut to cut my losses and replace the entire front end with a AllSport 4" lift. The only problem was adapting my disc brakes to the AllSport spindles. But all that took was a little Auto Machine Shop work.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:26 PM   #10
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Yeah, Walter, for all the cash I have in it now I could have just done the 3" all sports a-arm lift and been done with this. I just don't want it to look goofy with 19" tires and big gaps. Cart is used for cruising and golf only so I don't need anything crazy. I love the **** thing, but I'll admit that I'm to the point of looking at local Onward stock! I may try new a-arms and fresh bushings one more time, but after that I'm doing a lift and larger turf tires.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car