lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
fishinfart
Not Yet Wild

Default Intermittent issue with 03 Electric Club Car DS

Guys,
I have 2003 Club Car DS, 48v, stock config other than an Alltrax AXE 4834 controller and an onboard charger that is wired directly to the battery pack. Sometimes it simply will not go, other times it will run for seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes will work for days with no issues. Sometimes it is down for days at a time, then starts working again.

Batteries are 2 years old with good voltage and good performance when it runs. I have replaced the accelerator pot (MCOR) out of desperation. When it won't go - the Solenoid activates, controller LED goes thru the six flashes, then stays green, but cart does not move. When it does go, the LED flashes 6 times as it should, stays green, and then turns amber at full throttle, as it should. I have checked wires, voltages, jumped the solenoid contacts when it won't go and have found nothing.

The cart operates perfectly when it will go, but makes no attempt to move (rocking back and forth or rolling it with accelerator down does nothing) when it decides not to work.

Any ideas?
fishinfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #2
smille5291
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Intermittent issue with 03 Electric Club Car DS

I have a 2001 ds that is pretty much word for word today it was cutting out down to 14 mph after it was running 22mph at one point with no issues. I have 3 MCORS swapping them out they all do something a little different but then again the cart does something a little different every time I'm on it. So today I played with the wires tested the mcor wires at the controller the readings were fine I put the wire connector back on pushed extra hard on all the wires to make sure they were making good contact took the cart for a spin PERFECT 20-22mph all over the place. I park it my daughter comes home takes it for a spin it cuts out and goes 14mph again. wth.. I think we both have some wiring issues. I also put a speed magnet in the cart and just got the controller back from being tested. So if you figure it out let me know and Ill do the same with you..
smille5291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Kinda sounds like it's time for a new controller.

Just for giggles, when it wont work, tap the solenoid with a screwdriver handle, or the butt end of a hammer to jiggle the bridge inside. See if it then will go.
You could also check voltage on the large posts of the solenoid. When it clicks you should see the voltage go to 0 to indicate the bridge inside has closed and made contact.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smille5291 View Post
I have a 2001 ds that is pretty much word for word today it was cutting out down to 14 mph after it was running 22mph at one point with no issues. I have 3 MCORS swapping them out they all do something a little different but then again the cart does something a little different every time I'm on it. So today I played with the wires tested the mcor wires at the controller the readings were fine I put the wire connector back on pushed extra hard on all the wires to make sure they were making good contact took the cart for a spin PERFECT 20-22mph all over the place. I park it my daughter comes home takes it for a spin it cuts out and goes 14mph again. wth.. I think we both have some wiring issues. I also put a speed magnet in the cart and just got the controller back from being tested. So if you figure it out let me know and Ill do the same with you..
Totally different cart and setup from what the OP has. Not to downplay your cars issue, but it's not connector or similar in any way in this case.
You have a sepex cart which needs a working speed sensor to operate properly. More than likely your speed sensor is bad.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #5
smille5291
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks I didn't realize the 03 and 01 where diff. I was just saying to myself somewhere in the speed sensor system has to be the problem. I have changed the speed sensor twice so I either have another bad sensor and or I have to check the wires maybe a bad wire..
smille5291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
fishinfart
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Kinda sounds like it's time for a new controller.

Just for giggles, when it wont work, tap the solenoid with a screwdriver handle, or the butt end of a hammer to jiggle the bridge inside. See if it then will go.
You could also check voltage on the large posts of the solenoid. When it clicks you should see the voltage go to 0 to indicate the bridge inside has closed and made contact.
Fairtax4me - So this is odd - The cart will not run now - Battery pack is at 49.2v as I have not charged it in a while. I checked across the solenoid main terminals - 0v, activated or not activated.

I checked the main solenoid terminal that goes to the controller (output) & the pack negative and get 49.2 w/solenoid activated or not.

Could it possibly be a bad diode or resistor on the solenoid causing all these problems?
Old 06-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

No the resistor and diode should be fine, but you can remove them and test them. Be sure to note the orientation of the diode on the small terminals of the solenoid and make sure it is re-installed the same way.

I would also test the solenoid for continuity, it may be welded closed. Remove one of the Large cables, and check continuity on the large posts. With the solenoid not activated you should not have continuity. If you have continuity on the large posts with it Off, the solenoid is welded and should be replaced.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
fishinfart
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I'll just replace the solenoid, it looks like the original one, and then regroup.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:41 PM   #9
m&ksmith
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have the same prob with my 48v 2003 club car. I am putting all new 4 AWG wiring on it this week. and was wondering if I put a new solenoid can I put a 400 amp with stock controller and motor. or do put the stock 200 amp back on it
m&ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:08 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&ksmith View Post
I have the same prob with my 48v 2003 club car. I am putting all new 4 AWG wiring on it this week. and was wondering if I put a new solenoid can I put a 400 amp with stock controller and motor. or do put the stock 200 amp back on it
to BGW

Yes, you can always go bigger, the 400 amp solenoid will be just fine.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car