lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2020, 02:47 AM   #1
1ton
Not Yet Wild

Default Installing Speakers - Separate 12v, Reducer, or Direct to 12v?

Ive had so much help on this forum. You guys are great.

I’ve read so many different options to installing a stereo into my 2016 RXV. I bought a unit with 2 speakers and one controller (marine system).

I understand it’s a no-no to install power to the ignition. So I have to manually turn it on every time. Is this correct? Any workaround?

If I install to my 48v battery system, I don’t think I need a reducer bc the system has it. Is this correct?

If I install straight to one of ther 12v batteries in the system it would cause uneven drain. Is this correct?

If I get a separate 12v battery just for the speakers and maybe future LED ground lights, do I need a On/Off switch? Or can I simply turn off radio?

Debating what’s the best option. Been reading so much and want to make sure I understand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96C38AEE-D287-43B3-8B48-470073E768A4.jpg (191.5 KB, 0 views)
1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2020, 05:55 AM   #2
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Installing Speakers - Separate 12v, Reducer, or Direct to 12v?

I personally run a separate 12 bolt battery. I also installed a little charge port right below the main charge port. So I just plug in two chargers all the time no big deal. I like the idea of having the main batteries just for the motor. I run my lights, stereo, acc., off of the separate battery.
Nsmustang55ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:33 AM   #3
1ton
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsmustang55ol View Post
I personally run a separate 12 bolt battery. I also installed a little charge port right below the main charge port. So I just plug in two chargers all the time no big deal. I like the idea of having the main batteries just for the motor. I run my lights, stereo, acc., off of the separate battery.
Thanks. I’m leaning that way. Was just looking at a post about the cigarette port but was confused on how to charge it. I don’t see a male cigarette to a wall plug. Could I do USB?
Old 10-11-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I've done it both ways, using a reducer and using an aux 12V battery. Hard to say which is better as both have pros and cons. The cons were on the reducer (I used the factory one that is triggered by keyswitch), the cart must be on for it to have power. The cart will time out after about 20 minutes of inactivity and it goes off. It also didn't hold the radio station memory. The cons of the extra battery is placement, weight, and having to charge separately. I used a trickle charger I had on hand and it seems to work fine. Have never had an issue with a dead battery under our normal use (campgrounds).
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #5
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Jneubig has some valid points, but just so you know, you can avoid both of those issues.
You can get a reducer that has a memory wire for your stereo. Also, so radios now don’t even need it. My Jensen marine head unit doesn’t. Also, you can wire it to come on when the cart does or have it completely independent. The advantage of a reducer is not having to worry about another batttery and keeping it charged separately from your pack.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
1ton
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Jneubig has some valid points, but just so you know, you can avoid both of those issues.
You can get a reducer that has a memory wire for your stereo. Also, so radios now don’t even need it. My Jensen marine head unit doesn’t. Also, you can wire it to come on when the cart does or have it completely independent. The advantage of a reducer is not having to worry about another batttery and keeping it charged separately from your pack.
I have an RXV and so many posts say not to wire it to the ignition. Any idea why that is? Also, did you need a reduced?
Old 10-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don’t have an rxv but the rule of thumb is to not mess with any of the electronics; don’t even probe around in some places. Apparently it’s very easy to fry a controller, if you touch the wrong thing.
From what I’ve seen from the experts here, they trigger the reducer from the solenoid, not actually the key switch.

I have separate switches for my reducer and accessories.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:59 AM   #8
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
I don’t have an rxv but the rule of thumb is to not mess with any of the electronics; don’t even probe around in some places. Apparently it’s very easy to fry a controller, if you touch the wrong thing.
From what I’ve seen from the experts here, they trigger the reducer from the solenoid, not actually the key switch.

I have separate switches for my reducer and accessories.
This is correct. It is wired to the switched side of the solenoid. It is a best practice never to mess with the wiring harness on an RXV. Touch the wroong thing with multimeter probes or cut the wrong wire and you might let the "magic smoke" out of the controller. Happened to me years ago on my first one trying to hook up a battery meter to the key switch. Expensive lesson. I've only used the EZGO OEM reducer on mine, but any quality reducer can work just the same. The factory does not have an always 12V lead for radio memory though.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #9
Padencarter
Not Yet Wild

What kind of port did you use to have a charger for the 12v you have any pictures working on adding one to my cart?
Padencarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
jr5018
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 2017 RXV and use the switched side of the solenoid. I have been using it this way for a month or so. You have to turn on the radio manually every time since the memory wire is not hooked up. I have found that my pack drain is much faster when doing it this way. I don't know why. With the reducer hooked up to straight pack power (not the switched side of the sol) I can go about 10 miles before I show the cart needing to be charged. With it hooked up to sol I can go about 7 miles before needing a charge. So I am thinking about going back to the full pack power to reducer then toggle switch from the 12v side of the reducer to cut power on and off to lights and stereo.
jr5018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO