lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
Malachi
Not Yet Wild

Default Torque motor options for 88 marathon

I am looking to upgrade the motor in my cart but I am unsure what motor I should pick. I have an 88 ezgo marathon. It has a lift, 23 inch tires and a back seat. The terrain I drive is hilly. I am at 48 volts and have converted to solid state with a 500 amp alltrax controller. All wiring is 2 awg. I would like to be able to go 15-20 mph. Which series motor should I go with? I would like it to be a torquey motor due to the terrain I drive and the load I carry. But I also don't want it to be slower than 15 mph.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Torque motor options for 88 marathon

Well, what axle do you have? If it's the older axle, not much is available. (Axle type determines what motors can bolt up to it).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:29 AM   #3
Malachi
Not Yet Wild

The axle is parrelel with the motor. That is the only question I saw when ordering my conversion kit. I am not sure how to post pics this was my first post. It is also my first cart so I am not the most familiar with the different types of axles these things came with.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
webwarmiller
Not Yet Wild

Have you considered reducing tire size? 23" tires might look great but they also robbed you of about 25% of your torque over stock 18" tires. If your cart is currently running 25mph and you drop to 18" tires you'll still be around 20mph AND the resulting torque increase might be just what you are looking for.
webwarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post a pic of your axle/motor set up. I have a rebuilt motor by Plum Quick that was never installed. It will fit the 86-88 ish model with the weird rear end.
DubK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:50 AM   #6
Malachi
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubK View Post
Post a pic of your axle/motor set up. I have a rebuilt motor by Plum Quick that was never installed. It will fit the 86-88 ish model with the weird rear end.
I am not sure how to post pics. What am I looking for to identify the different types of axles y'all are talking about?
Old 11-07-2020, 07:03 AM   #7
Malachi
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwarmiller View Post
Have you considered reducing tire size? 23" tires might look great but they also robbed you of about 25% of your torque over stock 18" tires. If your cart is currently running 25mph and you drop to 18" tires you'll still be around 20mph AND the resulting torque increase might be just what you are looking for.
The cart is how I bought a couple months ago. It was already on 23 inch tires and they are brand new. They are nice for riding the canefields around my property. I would like to keep this size tire and upgrade accordingly. However it only was capable of about 10 mph. Since I've got the cart I've upgraded to the alltrax 48500 with fan, 2 awg cables, sw202, 400 amp solenoid, and trojan 8 volt batteries. I have not run it at 48 volts yet due to other work I am doing on the cart. The motor that is currently on it has stripped out threads on one of the connections, a1 I think without going look at it. I called plum quick and he stated it was a thin can GE motor that was not worth upgrading. He countered with offering the torque mongoose motor.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
1. I am not sure how to post pics.

2. What am I looking for to identify the different types of axles y'all are talking about?
1. Use the paperclip to attach pictures and other stuff. See attached image.

2. The attached .pdf files are three parts manuals for Marathon (X-444) showing the three rear axle types used in the 1984 through 1988 era.

Prior to 86.5 the motor was perpendicular to the rear axle.
During 86.5 through 87, the motor was parallel to the rear axle and the differential had a vertically split case.
From 88 on the motor was parallel to the rear axle and with a one piece differential case that had a removable oil pan on the bottom.

------------
added:

Forgot to mention, the dates that the changes happened are only approximate.
EZGO most likely made the changeovers when the stock on-hand ran out instead of stopping production of the older style cart on a specific calendar date.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 11-07-2020 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: added comment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #9
Malachi
Not Yet Wild

This is my current axle can you id? I believe it is the final axle assembly posted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201103_052834.jpg (276.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-08-2020, 05:12 AM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You have the more modern 19-spline dana axle, which is perfect, because upgrade motors that fit that axle are plentiful.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO