lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
Motohead342
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default May have FRIED my Alltrax AXE

I have a TXT fleet, 4 pass, Lifted, 22' Tires, D+D Torque+Speed Mtr. Alltrax AXE, 4 Gauge cables. I got tired of replacing the rotary F/R switch. They burn out every 2 years. The board burns up, Lever gets stiff. Wife HATES!!! So I went with the SW182 Heavy Duty F/R CONTACTORS(CartsUnlimited). Installation was straight forward, instructions and pictures were accurate and helpful. I have had a "Heavy Duty" solenoid that is really just the little silver can on it for 10 years WITHOUT a DIODE across the 2 small posts. The Resistor across the 2 Large Posts is there. I didn't even know what a DIODE was/did. I do now. It's a ONE-WAY check valve. Well my little can solenoid didn't create enough FEILD to create a BIG RUSH back into the controller as the current stopped flowing with foot off the accelerator, and the solenoid clicking open. BUT, with the 2 new HUGE FORWARD AND REVERSE SOLENOIDS collapsing the field,... with no DIODE to stop it? Going for first test drive, it worked GREAT when I stepped on the accelerator to back up, but when I took my foot off the accelerator(and the field collapsed)and I rocked the new switch into Forward position, I get NOTHING! Not even the Solenoid Click, and no LED on top of the AXE. Nothing. I may have fried the AXE. I checked voltage on both sides of the Solenoid, 40 on Batt side, 38 on Controller side. Ideas?
Motohead342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: May have FRIED my Alltrax AXE

The high voltage pulse was also applied to the contacts of the pedal switch, the keyswitch and the reed switch. If any of those were taken out the AXE won't turn on, so it may be okay.

It depends on where the voltage for the reversing contactor coils is obtained, but if it is tied into the KSI circuit, it may be okay also.

Measure the voltage on Pin-1 (Red wire) with key ON, direction selected and pedal pushed. Should be pack voltage. If not trace the circuit back to the reed switch and beyond.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:20 AM   #3
Motohead342
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

That would be great if it was just one of those links. Years ago I took the ign switch out and put a 15amp blade fuse between the 2 wires. It's always in the "ON" position, so to speak. Today I took the 2 wires off of j2 and j3 and put my leads to my multi-meter and got no measurable voltage or ohm resistance,.. nothing. Tomorrow I will check the 2 you suggest.

Last edited by Motohead342; 11-17-2020 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: adding info
Old 11-17-2020, 04:27 AM   #4
Motohead342
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I ordered a set of Resistor and Diode from Scotty. I'm trying to learn about ITS, now that you have suggested that. The CURTIS factory manual for the 1204 and 1205 gives instructions to check it,...I think. The first thing I will check tomorrow is the blade fuse I put in place of the Ign Switch.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
Motohead342
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

THANK YOU JOHNNIE B!!!! You Nailed It!!!! It was the 15 amp blade fuse I had replaced the Ignition Switch with. I replaced it, hooked up the batt pack, and gently pushed the accl pedal and "CLICK" and the LED on the AXE flashed GREEN! I didn't push hard enough to engage the motor yet. I still do not have the DIODE across the 2 small terminals of the main solenoid. Where can I find the Diode....TODAY in my little town in San Diego county? O'Reilly or Autozone? Is it foolish to try it without the diode? It worked for YEARS with just the lil silver solenoid and no diode!!!
Old 11-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We are just 1 day mail away from little ole San Diego... or try Frys or Del City for 1N5408 3amp 1000v
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
Motohead342
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

OK,... I still have a problem. I installed a DIODE 36v 3amp I got from Escondido Golf Carts, thank you, Victor. It backed up in REVERSE again beautifully, but when I put the Rocker in Forward and stepped on the Accel Pedal the Blade Fuse at the Ign Switch position popped ...TWICE. Tried it 2 times. So,... something is wired wrong. I have the system wired as shown in the diagram I got from cartsunlimited. The diagram in the CURTIS Controller manual shows the exact same F/R Albright solenoids installed but shows a different wiring. ????? Something is WAY WRONG!!!
Old 11-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
Motohead342
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

If the Reverse position works well, and the Forward position does not, my issue is in the Forward circuit only. Right? So that should narrow the possibilities. When the Blade fuse pops,.. it is a BIG Flash and Pop! 15 amp fuse.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #9
Motohead342
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Scotty, I ordered the Resistor/Diode set you sell for $19.95 a day or 2 ago, on the weekend. Ramona, Ca. 92065? I did go to the Post Office today and picked up some pkgs. I'll see if yours is in. I'm tackling the short in the FORWARD circuit now. It's gotta be something simple. Something HOT going to ground when the accel pdl is pushed. As soon as the solenoid clicks...POP!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #10
Motohead342
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The BLADE FUSE where the Ign Switch was connects a Blue wire to an GREEN wire right behind the Dash Panel. I believe the instructions have me wiring 36v+ into the Blue wire, which ultimately feeds it into the GREEN wire via the BLADE FUSE(as the Ign Sw would do in the ON position),... and that goes into...IDK??? I need an OEM diagram to see where that GREEN wire goes. It disappears into the harness.

Tags
controller, diode
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO