lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Possible bad F/R Switch? What to replace with?

Cart info:
2003 TXT Series, Alltrax 48500 controller, 400 Solenoid, 48v system

I installed my Summit 2 onboard charger over the weekend, plugged everything in and have no reverse (forward works fine).

I'm suspecting with having forward means the controller is working properly. When I press the pedal in reverse, I get no solenoid activation and no lights on the controller. In forward I get solenoid activation and a green light on the controller.

I ran some tests based on past "no reverse" posts, and have the following results.

Pack voltage through the solenoid activation wire that goes from the charger through the orange wire that connects to pin 4 on the controller. When I measure between the M- and B- on the controller (in reverse) I get 0 (zero) volts.

At the F/R switch I get just below pack voltage on all large gauge wires when in forward, but nothing when I'm in reverse.

Are there any other test that I should run to determine what I think is the F/R switch being bad?

If the switch does need to be replaced should I go with the HD F/R switch from ScottyB, or the Reversing Contactors? What are the advantages (and dis-advantages) of them?

I'm not worried about the cosmetic side, but the functionality side. The cart is driven on neighborhood paved streets, and doesn't see off-road (unless you consider driving on about 10' of grass off-roading). It's got the EZGO lowering kit on it, and 19" tires (12" wheels).
2K6TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Possible bad F/R Switch? What to replace with?

If the solenoid activates in forward but not reverse the F&R micro switch may be bad?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
SC_BAX
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Those Micro switched are a weak link. I went through three of them.

I installed the reversing contactor and a rocker switch from Scottyb and couldn't be happier.

The wife is happy too! That lever doesn't hurt her hand when changing directions.

Also hearing both contactors engage is cool
SC_BAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:33 PM   #4
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If the solenoid activates in forward but not reverse the F&R micro switch may be bad?
Is there something else I need to look at?
Old 11-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K6TBSS View Post
Is there something else I need to look at?
Is the F/R lever going all the way in to the mechanical stop?

Is the detent on the edge of the cam that the roller on MS-2 drops into when in reverse filled with debris?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F-N-R with microswitches on cam.JPG (60.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Is the F/R lever going all the way in to the mechanical stop?

Is the detent on the edge of the cam that the roller on MS-2 drops into when in reverse filled with debris?
Thanks for the help JohnnieB!

It looks like the lever is not going all the way to the mechanical stop. I have the Jake's Sport Shifter, and it seems like the shifter isn't traveling far enough anymore. Didn't think that would be the cause, since I've had that shifter on for about 18 months and had no issues. I was under the impression that when the reverse buzzer started the reverse switch was fully engaged.

I was thinking that maybe something in the switch fried when I was hooking batteries back up after installing the charger.

For now I'm going to just manually push the F/R lever the rest of the way when I need to get into reverse. I want to upgrade to the reversing contactor, but would rather wait until after the holidays to do that.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The mounting holes on the F/R switch assembly's mounting bracket has oblong holes, so it can be moved side to side a bit and some adjusting may be all it needs to work right.

The thing to remember is MS-2 is the RUN switch and the roller on the lever has to drop in the detent on the cam edges in both F and R.

BTW: The switch drawing I posted is for a Marathon, but EZGO used the same switch in the Medalists and TXTs. They just moved it to the passenger side, inverted it and connected it to the direction selector lever with bell cranks and a connecting rod.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I will have to take a look at the mounting location, and make some minor adjustments.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #9
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

So I decided to try and slide my F/R switch over a bot to get the reverse to fully engage. Long story short, my dumb *** didn't disconnect the positive wires and I got a good size spark when I dropped my wrench and it came in contact with the switch. Big spark, burnt electrical smell, and no power anywhere.

I'm guessing I fried the F/R switch. Anything I should check prior to ordering a new one?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO