lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2020, 06:39 AM   #1
charles.tinsley
Not Yet Wild

Default 92 EZGO MARATHON 36v 20" tires

Having a problem with my ezgo 36v marathon. Basically when I push the throttle it doesn't want to go anywhere. I have replaced the brushes on the motor and after I hooked it back up it ran great. The next day it wouldn't move it all.

I then replaced the pendometer. When I hook the back up again it ran great then the next day nothing. It wouldn't move at all.

So it seems when I work on it and I leave the battery disconnected for a couple hours it runs pretty good afterwards and then reverts back to its old self.

It is a series cart I have three 12-volt marine deep cycle batteries in it. They are rated at about 115 amp hours. It ran fine like this for the first year I owned it but the last two years it has been undependable.

I'm starting to question whether using only three 12-volt batteries is depriving the cart of amps therefor e keeping it from moving.

I have replaced the three batteries with new 12 volt batteries and again it ran fine and then the next day nothing.

I might also add it was doing this before I added the bigger tires.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
charles.tinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2020, 07:12 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 92 EZGO MARATHON 36v 20" tires

I've used 3 x 12V Trojans (150amps) in a '99 TXT cart some years ago, less range but less weight as well. Worked absolutely fine and 20' tires should not prevent the cart from running.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:18 AM   #3
charles.tinsley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
I've used 3 x 12V Trojans (150amps) in a '99 TXT cart some years ago, less range but less weight as well. Worked absolutely fine and 20' tires should not prevent the cart from running.
Thanks for the reply. Since the car worked for a year fine with the three 12-volt batteries I have to believe that that's not the problem. So now I'm down to the controller or the Forward reverse switch.
I'm looking for a troubleshooting guide so I could go through the steps to find the problem once and for all

Old 12-01-2020, 02:18 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

While 3 "deep cycle marine batteries" is a poor choice for a golf cart (that's been proven again & again), that's not likely the problem at all. They work, but dont give long lifespan or range, but doesnt at all add up to "it just stopped working" unless one or more batteries have totally failed. I'd say check what happens to "total pack voltage" at the time of failure (when you step on the pedal).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
charles.tinsley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
While 3 "deep cycle marine batteries" is a poor choice for a golf cart (that's been proven again & again), that's not likely the problem at all. They work, but dont give long lifespan or range, but doesnt at all add up to "it just stopped working" unless one or more batteries have totally failed. I'd say check what happens to "total pack voltage" at the time of failure (when you step on the pedal).
It goes down then comes back up.

What is interesting about the problem is that if I disconnect the batteries for a few hours it runs excellent for the rest of the day of intermittent use.( It's as if I reset it) But the next day it's back to not moving, although if I give it a push it will go but with less power.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Are you still using marine batteries? Indeed, they're for Boats, RV's, not designed for golfcarts...
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:16 AM   #7
charles.tinsley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Are you still using marine batteries? Indeed, they're for Boats, RV's, not designed for golfcarts...
Yes and they are all 3 brand new. The previous set worked fine and the cart doesn't really get driven much at the campground.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:51 AM   #8
charles.tinsley
Not Yet Wild

Jacked up the golf cart this weekend.
The motor turns the wheels pretty good however when I set the golf cart down it won't move it. Acts almost as if doesn't have enough battery power. I troubleshooted it. I found the resistor across the small post on the solenoid to be bad. Will replace and see if that's the problem.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #9
jr5018
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Look at your solenoid hard. I had a bad one and it was barely noticeable until I removed it.
jr5018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #10
charles.tinsley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr5018 View Post
Look at your solenoid hard. I had a bad one and it was barely noticeable until I removed it.
Ok. I will recheck it

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO