lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #11
TeXaS29
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Recommendations for TXT 36v

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzIndyGo View Post
It think it all depends on what your budget is as well. Start assigning you value to the increase in use/performance you'd obtain with certain levels of replacements or upgrades.

Sounds like you need new batteries, regardless. So there's $550-$800 depending on your battery of choice. Could be short, simple, and easy to get you back on the road with essentially no downtime.

48V upgrade - Right off the bat, you'll need to spend an additional $150+ for more battery (6x6V now vs 6X8V or 8x6V for 48V). Then, you're going to invest, at minimum $1,200 to convert from 36V to 48V according to Scottyb's website. Then you have a new charger to throw on top of that.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/conversion-kits.html

I'm going to budget high and account for some unknowns, and say you'll be approaching $2,000 for the conversion. Is it worth it to you? Let's not forget the amount of time you're without the cart doing the install. Even if that's only a few days.

Personally, we're not pushing the limits of range and power actually needed with our use. So, the $2,000 would be just "for some extra fun". I'd rather put those dollars elsewhere (cart or not).

Lithium - I'm trying to read up on all the threads about lithium, but it's a lot to take in. This is where I am... Many have made their own packs successfully with car parts. I have neither time nor skill to do this. There are a few mass-produced lithium options, but I think it's still early to really know what the return is for the additional money spent. Again, personally, if I needed batteries today, I'd replace with Flooded Lead-Acid this go around. Hoping that Lithium has matured enough, along with cost reductions, when I'm ready next time.

By the looks of it, you have a really nice cart for the age. I'd stick 6 new 6V batteries in it and call it a day. If your rear leaf springs are stock, spend the $110 to upgrade to dual-action. Looks like the tires may be a year or two out from needing some new tread, so plan on replacing rubber? Could be an optical illusion though and, depending on what you do, maybe the tread is no big deal. I like the flat black, but you could spruce it up with a new paint job and/or seat covers.
Thanks for the response. Seems like we are very much on similar line of thought. Honestly, I was figuring I'd be about $2k in the 48v conversion. Then it's just that balance of whether that is worth it for what you get out of it, or to put that $2k elsewhere. I think where I'm at is that I'm already in $800ish like you said for new batteries, so really it's just another $1,200 not $2k for the full conversion.

I got the cart for $3k. And I really like everything else with it. We use it a lot to take the kids around the neighborhood and to my parents. I think it is an optical illusion, cause those wheels and tires are newer. Still plenty of tread. So it's just balancing what performance add can I get for a little bit more if I'm already having to spend $800+ for new batteries minimum.
TeXaS29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can buy 6/6v batteries now and 500/400 controller solenoid pkg for the smallest investment but beyond whatever small increase in speed new batteries will net I don't predict any speed increase. 12mph stock plus 20% taller tires should put the cart around 15 mph now. And you will have a reliable cart.
Then later on you could add 2 more 6v under the rear seat, more cables, and a 48v charger for about 30% more speed n power or 19.5 mph mathematically figuring. That's still with the stock motor. After market motors and 48v can be a real game changer. PQ has motors to bring the cart to amazing speeds
All at once assuming 6/8 volt batteries (150 pounds lighter than 8/6v is like kicking the passenger out). This will give 48v.
You could do a 500/400 combo
A new cable set and in dash battery meter
with a 48v charger for about $1140
Sell some old stuff controller, charger, etc to recoup some expense.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #13
ikaros70
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Recommendations for TXT 36v

I am pretty sure your cart is a late 90’s or early 2000, which would make it a series cart.
One way to know 4 sure is to look at the top of your speed controller, it’s under your seat, should be passenger side, under a black plastic cover. Take the cover off and check the wiring connection, if it a single plug wiring harness going into your controller (like 4 wire plug/connector), it’s a series cart.
With a series cart, you’re not going to be able to do a lot for top speed at 36v, basically like what scottyb described.
The speed chips do not work on series carts, so that won’t apply to your cart as long as it’s indeed a series cart, looks to be that.
The good news is looks like you have the HD AMD motor, which you can use with 48v, if your interested in upgrading to 48v.
My cart is a 2000, I am basically in the same boat as you for top speed but since my batteries are good, I am concentrating on the needed maintenance and cosmetics, then I’ll worry about upgrading to 48v, cart runs fine so it’s less of an issue for me.
Doing body kit, lift, tires, maintenance (replacing tie rods, worn out bushings, etc) are my priority.
If I needed new batteries, I would have taken a little different approach and upgraded to 48v now, done the maintenance now and worried about body kit later.
ikaros70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #14
TeXaS29
Not Yet Wild

And what is the deal with all this Navitas stuff. How does that fit in to my options here? And what are the relevant costs associated?
TeXaS29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #15
clnorris75
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did this exact exercise last year. Got with Scotty B., an awesome individual that supports his customers 24/7., and bought an Alltrax 400amp controller, SW202 reverse switch, I HIGHLY recommend this, and a 400 amp solenoid along with 2G battery/motor cables and a 12-volt reducer. Then I got a Lester Summit charger so when I went to 48 volts I would be good to go.

I ran 36v in my EZGO TXT series cart after I installed my new upgrades. I am a golfer and neighborhood cruiser so no need for an insane amount of torque to climb hills and winch things out of the mud. I also do not have rear seats. That is why I did not go 500 amp or upgrade the motor.

I stayed at 36 volts because my batteries at the time were only 3 years old. I recently just bought 6-8 volt batteries, the new precharge resistor, and the 2G 8-volt battery cables from Scotty B. because I am now going to go 48 volts.

You will not see any improvement in performance with the new items installed until you upgrade the batteries to 48 volts. However, installing the components is the first thing you have to do when going to 48 volts. You have also future-proofed your cart and are now in a great place to enjoy it for many years.

In the end, it is still cheaper than buying new and your performance in many cases will be better.

Here is the link to the setup I ordered and pic also.

Since you have rear seats and if people use them frequently then you may want to go to a 500 amp setup.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-sr-series--.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 1.22.31 PM.jpg (139.3 KB, 0 views)
clnorris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #16
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is a great discussion, a lot of what I am thinking right now, so thanks for some great insight.
GradyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO