lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
R Dolph
Not Yet Wild

Default New Batteries and Golf Cart Still dies fast

I have a 1998 TXT Marathon EZGO that I just put new batteries in and it dies after about a mile and a half.

Any recommendations where to look first?

Background info:

New speed controller 1 year ago
Original Electric Motor
Golf Cart has been stuck in ditch and user tried to get out of ditch with throttle with wheels not spinning
Golf cart no longer has good pickup, pretty good delay in the pedal.

I was suspecting the motor is bad and has high resistance?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Randy
R Dolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: New Batteries and Golf Cart Still dies fast

Can you post what kind of batteries (brand & voltage of each)? What shape are the cables in. Do they (are anything else) get hot? First thing to do with any problems is to check/clean or replace all connections. You can end up spending big bucks replacing componants and it be a bad cable or connection.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #3
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

What you tried anything to find/fix this issue?

Check water in the batteries. Load test the batteries. Check and clean battery terminal connections. Check each batteries voltage and entire battery pack voltage after charging. Clean connections at the controller and motor. Check to see if the wheels spin freely when the cart is lifted off the ground. Etc....

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:03 AM   #4
R Dolph
Not Yet Wild

Thank you everybody for the replies!

So to update, I am still having the problem.

1. Batteries are topped off with distilled water (They were not low when checked)
2. Battery cables are new and tight
3. Cart dies after about 1.5miles after fully charge
4. very delayed pedal response after full charge

I have attached some pictures showing the battery type and condition of motor terminals and terminals that go to the speed controller

I do not have a battery load tester. The batteries are under warranty untill May 2021. They were purchased from batteries plus. Would you recommend I take the golf cart up there just to ensure I dont have a bad battery as the next steps?

Thank you again everybody!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210305_064826.jpg (201.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210305_064829.jpg (219.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210305_064839.jpg (205.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210305_064855.jpg (222.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210305_064902.jpg (205.8 KB, 0 views)
R Dolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:04 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

First of all, it looks like have a 1998 TXT DCS. The S2 cable being smaller than the A2 cable was the first clue, then I looked up out the part# on the motor - it is a sepex, so a 1998 with TXT body style with a sepex drive was called a DCS, which had a decent motor, but a lousy controller.

Powering it out of the ditch as described in pos#1 in this thread, more than likely damaged the controller, or the motor, or both.

Not going very far on a single charge means the batteries are running out of juice quickly, or there is an abnormally high amp draw from them.

You already have a load tester, the cart.

Charge battery pack and about 12 hours after the charger shuts off, measure the battery pack voltage. It should be in the neighborhood of 38.2V, but might be higher since they are relatively new batteries.

If you don't get 38.2V, we need to troubleshoot the charge and battery pack.

If you do get 38.2V, we need to troubleshoot the battery pack under load and the drive system.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Also noticed your batteries have both stud terminals and post terminals and the main positive terminal pictured has has high amp cable to solenoid on it plus the white wire from the charger and a red wire on it.

You can shift the smaller cable and wire to the post terminal so the high amp cable has better contact.

The battery post clamps pictured in attachment is one example of the dozens of battery post clamps available that would do the job. Of course, the wing nuts need to be replace with hex nuts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7175MyojreL._AC_SL1478_.jpg (111.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-06-2021, 07:31 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

You're not going to get very good if any ride time out of a set of Duracells (which are Duracell in name only--they're no better than Rural Kings) and if this is a DCS cart, you can't go cheap with batteries without EOLing the controller (which lacks low voltage protection).
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:18 PM   #8
Sideways
Gone Wild

Listen to what Johnnieb is saying, he is the man!
What charger are you using?
Is the charger profile correct for Duracell's?
I have had my Duracell's (made by Deka) in my cart for over 3 years now, without any issue other than using alot of water in the summertime.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:28 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW:

Duracell GC batteries are made by East Penn (Deka) and the Exide batteries I got at Rural King have lasted 3,035 days (which is 99.7 months or 8.3 years).

My next set of batteries will likely be Duracell, if I can find them locally.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #10
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I still say go with US or Trojan. We've had far too many EOL'd controllers (especially DCS and a few RXV) due to cheap batteries and I don't recommend any Duracell, Rural King, Blems, Super Starts, Econo-Power, "Energizer", etc.

You truly get what you pay for. I have no more sympathy for anyone cheaping out on batteries; Just had to re-wire a Yamaha G9 that caught fire due to using garbage Rural Kings (it ran low on volts, melted the contact board for the accelerator at WOT and he jumped off the instant he smelled smoke. It's not fun to undo that kind of damage that could be saved by getting proper batteries.

I especially hate Rural Kings. Still rebuilding a 36V Club Car that had a meltdown as well. They're so common it makes me sick. The only thing they're good at is making resistors out of the cables and wiring.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO