lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
SoFLCart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Smile Curtis Battery Meter

I recently purchased a battery meter which I do not believe is working correctly. Yes, it is a Chinese knock-off I am sure. The bottom LEDs flash alternatively between red and orange. I read elsewhere in the forums that it may start working after charging the battery to full a couple of times or driving the cart for 6 minutes before it "resets" itself. Both have happened and the meter is still not working. I have also read that buying a Curtis meter was a good way to go. I am looking at the Curtis 906. I am reluctant because the meter is almost 4 times what I paid for the one that doesn't work (lol, I get it). Has anyone used this meter before and had good luck with it?
SoFLCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Curtis Battery Meter

Get this one, many people (me included) have bought this one from site sponsor and has worked great for years....
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure the meter is wired properly as any of those meters that show "capacity" need to see charging voltage in order to reset to Full.

Make sure the meter is always connected to the battery pack and not behind the key switch.

Some of those meters have three wires (two positives: one to battery positive and one to key switch) in case you want to Leds to be OFF when the key is OFF.

Even if it works properly you should always add a real voltmeter as suggested as that is helpful in determining the health of the pack.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

^ Thats the one i have as well!

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:41 PM   #5
SoFLCart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
Get this one, many people (me included) have bought this one from site sponsor and has worked great for years....
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
I have seen others here use this as well. I was worried I would not know how to read it properly when out and about. I am assuming the instructions will tell me how to read it so I do not get stranded somewhere? Also, I know that I need to attach it to the battery positive where it reads 36V correct? The negative connection only needs to be on a negative terminal correct? I am a complete newbie with these carts and I do not want to screw something up out of the box. I am using a test light to find the voltage output. Maybe a good multimeter suggestion too?

EDIT: Ok, some of my questions got answered by looking at the website and meter. So I guess before I buy this, which color is easiest to see in the blinding Florida sunshine?
Old 02-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #6
SoFLCart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Make sure the meter is wired properly as any of those meters that show "capacity" need to see charging voltage in order to reset to Full.

Make sure the meter is always connected to the battery pack and not behind the key switch.

Some of those meters have three wires (two positives: one to battery positive and one to key switch) in case you want to Leds to be OFF when the key is OFF.

Even if it works properly you should always add a real voltmeter as suggested as that is helpful in determining the health of the pack.
Dang did you hit the nail on the head with behind the key switch!
Old 02-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

[QUOTE=SoFLCart;1804074]I have seen others here use this as well. I was worried I would not know how to read it properly when out and about. I am assuming the instructions will tell me how to read it so I do not get stranded somewhere? Also, I know that I need to attach it to the battery positive where it reads 36V correct? The negative connection only needs to be on a negative terminal correct? I am a complete newbie with these carts and I do not want to screw something up out of the box. I am using a test light to find the voltage output. Maybe a good multimeter suggestion too?

Yes, I wired it straight to the positive and negative of the pack. It doesn't use enough power (stays on all the time) to make any difference. I printed and laminated one of these to my front dash near meter so I could see when I need to head back to the charger. attachment-1.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.gif
Old 02-04-2021, 02:26 PM   #8
SoFLCart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Cool thanks for the chart and idea to laminate!
Old 02-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #9
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I've been told that if you run the batteries down past the 50% SOC very often that it will degrade them. So as rule of thumb for me, you hit 50%, head to the charger. And I always put mine on charger everytime I use it.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:15 PM   #10
SoFLCart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
I've been told that if you run the batteries down past the 50% SOC very often that it will degrade them. So as rule of thumb for me, you hit 50%, head to the charger. And I always put mine on charger everytime I use it.
I see that 50% on 36v is 36.3. Is the meter that accurate? It does not seem that far from a full charge. I have learned to put the charger on every time thanks to the forum!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car