lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
Ajaysummer
Not Yet Wild

Default RoyPow 48v with AC conversion bottleneck?

OK all. I bought (another) junker at auction and the bones are good, but that is all it has haha. It was gutted (no controller, no batteries, no solenoid, etc). I am going to use the opportunity to get a LiFePO4 (avoiding lithium ion due to fire/explosion risks) 48v battery and perform the DC to AC conversion using Navitas 600a controller and 5kw motor. I am not an electrical genius, but I started wondering a few things.
- The RoyPow LiFePO4 battery has a max discharge amperage of 200a for 10 seconds and 100 amp continuous discharge rating.
(1) Is this going to bottleneck or impact my carts performance given I have a 600amp controller (I understand that it is rated UP TO 600 amps and 300 amps continuous).
(2) I am seeing on the site that the 5kw motor has a rated current of 113 amps, is this the max that it will pull?
(3) what is the point of pairing a motor that will pull 113 amps with a 600 amp controller?

I am not seeing much better max discharge amps for other LiFePO4 batteries, is this much worse than the standard SLA batteries discharge amperages (can't seem to find that info).

My main question is that since I am dropping a decent amount of money on this build, is this battery going to get me the amperage I need/want with the rest of my build? Is there other lithium battery options out there that will if not? Will SLA batteries? I'm not trying to build a race cart, but I also don't want to spend over $2K on a battery that is going to bottleneck the performance of the rest of my carts capabilities.
Ajaysummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RoyPow 48v with AC conversion bottleneck?

You'd probably have better luck with your questions over in the Lithium EZGO forum, and I don't know much about AC traction motors or AC controllers, but the laws of physics and advertising still apply.

At Zero RPM, an electric motor (AC or DC) is capable of drawing a number of Amps approaching the maximum Amps that can be supplied by the power source and Amp delivery system and the faster it spins, the fewer Amps it is capable of drawing. In other words, the max Amps the motor can draw when accelerating from a standstill is more limited by the max throughput of the controller and the cables connecting the battery to the controller and from the controller to the motor.

As the motor's RPM increase, the number of Amps it can draw is limited by the number of Amps it is capable of drawing at the RPM it is spinning at. In other words, the motor in and of itself becomes its own bottleneck.

The AC motor in a cart is a 3 phase motor, as is the controller that feeds it. So is the 600A rating mean 600A per phase or 200A per phase with a total of 600A for all three phases? (Advertising often uses max possible numbers rather than true numbers.)

You might get some better specs for the motor and controller from Navitas. The 5kW and 113A don't mean much of anything by themselves.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:03 AM   #3
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: RoyPow 48v with AC conversion bottleneck?

Subbed
ACHiPo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48v, ac conversion, amp draw, bottleneck, roypow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO