lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #11
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 CC DS IQ not charging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Not quite, but if you’re hankering to replace the charger with a newer one then it’s a good excuse. It’s like a 12 step process on these to track down what’s wrong when the charger doesn’t work. Most of the time if you get no click and no noise from the charger, it’s a bad connection on the cart, or a bad OBC.
If the charger makes some kinda noise, but doesn’t output anything or the ammeter needle is all over the place then it’s usually internal to the charger.

Check the other wires on the back of the charge receptacle. The Grey wire especially likes to corrode inside the pin and break off. Give it a light tug and see if it pulls out of the back of the receptacle. If that’s good check the fuse in the yellow inline fuse holder.
While the fuse is out, charger unplugged from AC power, plug the charge cord into the cart. Check the grey wire from the receptacle for pack voltage. This checks the wiring in the charger cord and the receptacle pins, as well as the relay coil for continuity and good connection.

After that, find a jumper wire and jumper the grey wire to the pack main negative. The relay should click. Plug the charger AC cord into the wall and it should then charge and you should see the ammeter read about 16-18 amps. If this makes the charger turn on, then we have a dead OBC.
If nothing happens, then we focus on the charger.
Thanks!!
Hkspwrsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #12
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Not quite, but if you’re hankering to replace the charger with a newer one then it’s a good excuse. It’s like a 12 step process on these to track down what’s wrong when the charger doesn’t work. Most of the time if you get no click and no noise from the charger, it’s a bad connection on the cart, or a bad OBC.
If the charger makes some kinda noise, but doesn’t output anything or the ammeter needle is all over the place then it’s usually internal to the charger.

Check the other wires on the back of the charge receptacle. The Grey wire especially likes to corrode inside the pin and break off. Give it a light tug and see if it pulls out of the back of the receptacle. If that’s good check the fuse in the yellow inline fuse holder.
While the fuse is out, charger unplugged from AC power, plug the charge cord into the cart. Check the grey wire from the receptacle for pack voltage. This checks the wiring in the charger cord and the receptacle pins, as well as the relay coil for continuity and good connection.

After that, find a jumper wire and jumper the grey wire to the pack main negative. The relay should click. Plug the charger AC cord into the wall and it should then charge and you should see the ammeter read about 16-18 amps. If this makes the charger turn on, then we have a dead OBC.
Done-So far gray wire is solid, fuse in yellow holder good. Also checked continuity.

To do-I guess I check the gray wire from the inside with the charger plugged in the cart but not the wall to see if it loops through the charge cord?

I’ll try that next and then find a jumper wire and I assume I should do that with the fuse back in from the front side of the receptacle direct to the pack neg.

Would you recommend the lester summit if the obc turns out to be dead?
Old 03-06-2021, 08:53 PM   #13
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Talking Re: 2004 CC DS IQ not charging?

Quote:

Relay did not click. I had already gambled ordering the Amazon rebuild kit including relay, rectifier and breaker. Arrived today.
Installed new relay and it’s all working.
Charger is running the test cycles etc. 15 amp charge and cycling down to under 5 amp charge when I last checked 30 min ago.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2021, 09:38 PM   #14
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Now charging. Been running and cycling ever since!

Old relay cut open. Wasn’t clicking. Contacts a bit burned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1CD6A1BE-A0F3-4F23-BF7D-B07B7033E411.jpg (56.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DBA46CFE-A23A-46E1-8B07-7E9FCDC60192.jpg (131.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-06-2021, 11:05 PM   #15
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

How often is it cycling? Should cycle once when the charge starts, then again only every few hours. How quickly did it drop down to 5amps? A pack that is low should charge at 15-17 amps for a few hours before it starts to lower the amperage.

Now that the charger is working, reset the OBC by disconnecting the pack negative cable for 15-20 minutes. Reconnect and then plug in the charger.

Normally I don’t like to see the ammeter under 5 amps. That tends to indicate the OBC is failing. It should settle around 5-7 amps depending on battery condition. Try the reset, and make sure the amperage stays up around 12-15 amps for a while.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:32 PM   #16
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
How often is it cycling? Should cycle once when the charge starts, then again only every few hours. How quickly did it drop down to 5amps? A pack that is low should charge at 15-17 amps for a few hours before it starts to lower the amperage.

Now that the charger is working, reset the OBC by disconnecting the pack negative cable for 15-20 minutes. Reconnect and then plug in the charger.

Normally I don’t like to see the ammeter under 5 amps. That tends to indicate the OBC is failing. It should settle around 5-7 amps depending on battery condition. Try the reset, and make sure the amperage stays up around 12-15 amps for a while.
First plug in at 1-2pm it started the first cycle. Wide open, off, then charging at full power. Normal start up cycle. Good sign.

I stepped in to check on it maybe 4 pm between cutting trees and working in the yard. It was silent. I’m concerned and feel the charger and it’s slightly warm but not hot. I glance under the seat. Nothing melted or smelling burned. I glance towards the charger then it switched on and I hear a buzz. It’s running at 15amps. I apparently came in during an off cycle.

At 830 pm I check on it. It’s running but now at 5 amps. Maybe the angle on the photo. It’s probably right at 5amps when I snapped the photo at a weird angle. It’s actually from a distance with a flashlight on it and I zoomed in/cropped it.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:46 PM   #17
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Would some of this diag be easier with hooking up to the alltrax?
Old 03-07-2021, 12:00 AM   #18
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkspwrsche View Post
First plug in at 1-2pm it started the first cycle. Wide open, off, then charging at full power. Normal start up cycle. Good sign.

I stepped in to check on it maybe 4 pm between cutting trees and working in the yard. It was silent. I’m concerned and feel the charger and it’s slightly warm but not hot. I glance under the seat. Nothing melted or smelling burned. I glance towards the charger then it switched on and I hear a buzz. It’s running at 15amps. I apparently came in during an off cycle.

At 830 pm I check on it. It’s running but now at 5 amps. Maybe the angle on the photo. It’s probably right at 5amps when I snapped the photo at a weird angle. It’s actually from a distance with a flashlight on it and I zoomed in/cropped it.
Ok, that sounds like it’s working as it should.

Charger diag with the alltrax? Charger and OBC are their own separate system. No communication between them and the controller except for interlock function, and that’s just an On/off signal.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:21 AM   #19
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

Charger diag with the alltrax? Charger and OBC are their own separate system. No communication between them and the controller except for interlock function, and that’s just an On/off signal.
OBC diag is what I was thinking. Ok I recalled some obc function but, I guess not anything but a signal to it. Wasn’t thinking charger diag just obc.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:07 PM   #20
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

Unplugged just now. Backed out. No “under-charged” lights. All seems well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car