lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #1
RXV Lover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2009 RXV Motor and Brake Issue

Hello Buggies!!!!

My youngest son recently had an accident with the RXV. He used the cart on his way to an errand and was driving for about 10 minutes away from home.
On a 20 degree uphill to cross the bridge, the motor and brakes suddenly stopped working sending him to a ditch. Good thing, a tree blocked the cart and kept him safe. We had to push the cart to the nearest road where I had to push then tow it (with a tow rope and not a trailer) to the entry of our subdivision and from there, we push the cart since our place has some downhill.

I raised the rear to check on the cart and during acceleration, I saw that the wheels/tires does not turn at the same time and there is a loud pppprrrrrr (or buurrrrrr) sound on the passenger side rear tire when it spins. When I asked my son to hit the brakes, the wheels does not stop. I have been reading and it looks like some bearing/gear issue or it could be the motor and the brakes. But I am still torn as to why the brakes and motor will suddenly have an issue at the same time (which is why my son had the accident.

Can someone please give me some directions on what to check? I want to work on it if I can, but if I have to bring it to a repair shop, then I would have some assurance and knowledge that the shop will do things right along with correct pricing. Any price point on the DIY repair or thru the shop could help as well. I am in Peachtree City, GA where there are a lot of golf cart shops, but each of the shops have pros and cons with respect to repairs.

I have uploaded two videos on Youtube for everyone to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6daixU8uuPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCCiiv5QJXk

I would appreciate it if someone can help us fix this issue with minimal costs. My youngest will start working next week (for the summer) and this cart will be his ride to work.

Thank you very much in advance.
RXV Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 RXV Motor and Brake Issue

When you say you pushed, then towed it with a rope, had you released the motor brake ? Does your cart have the plugs beneath the seat on the passenger side to cross 1, 2, 3, 4, to release motor brake ? If it's a Curtis Controller it will, but if a Danaher there's a lever on the motor brake to release. The point of the rear wheels not turning at the same time while on a jack, I think is normal. Pretty sure that cart has spider gears and not limited slip differential.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

There is a person here from Peachtree City also his user name is Kernal. Maybe he will read this and can help you out.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
RXV Lover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
When you say you pushed, then towed it with a rope, had you released the motor brake ? Does your cart have the plugs beneath the seat on the passenger side to cross 1, 2, 3, 4, to release motor brake ? If it's a Curtis Controller it will, but if a Danaher there's a lever on the motor brake to release. The point of the rear wheels not turning at the same time while on a jack, I think is normal. Pretty sure that cart has spider gears and not limited slip differential.

Hello Sthreatt,

Thank you for the feedback.

I had the cart in tow mode then it started to move. When the cart is in run mode, we cannot push it at all. There was nothing released, just toggle to the tow position.

I am not sure if it's a Curtis or a Danaher controller unit so I will have to check it out. Not sure if you watched the video, but you will see there that the rear passenger tires wiggled big time when in drive.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXV Lover View Post
Hello Sthreatt,

Thank you for the feedback.

I had the cart in tow mode then it started to move. When the cart is in run mode, we cannot push it at all. There was nothing released, just toggle to the tow position.

I am not sure if it's a Curtis or a Danaher controller unit so I will have to check it out. Not sure if you watched the video, but you will see there that the rear passenger tires wiggled big time when in drive.
Couldnt watch video. Link wouldnt allow access. Says This video is private.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #6
RXV Lover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
There is a person here from Peachtree City also his user name is Kernal. Maybe he will read this and can help you out.
Hello USGICollector - I hope he sees this posting of mine. I am about to go to a repair shop and have them see the videos I posted so I can get some info on what could be the issue and get some ballpark pricing. That will be my gauge if I will do it myself or have it repaired.

Thank you.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:44 PM   #7
RXV Lover
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
Couldnt watch video. Link wouldnt allow access. Says This video is private.
Thank you for letting me know. I just made it public.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #8
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXV Lover View Post
But I am still torn as to why the brakes and motor will suddenly have an issue at the same time (which is why my son had the accident.

An RXV has electric braking, and the motor "IS" the brakes.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check the lug nuts on the passenger side. LOOKS like loose lug nuts. If not, then you have either a warped wheel or a bent axle. I think you'll probably find loose lug nuts , unless it's been slid sideways into a curb or some solid lick to a wheel. I'm betting on lug nuts. That's probably also your burrrr sound coming from the right rear.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:06 PM   #10
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Splines in the hubs go bad sometimes. Easy to check by pulling the wheel and hubs off.
SBIRD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO