lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
GatorB877
Not Yet Wild

Default Solenoid not clicking but batteries fully charged

I have a 1997 club car ds. Just got new batteries about six months ago. My son was driving it on a flat street and it suddenly lost running power. I checked batteries with multi meter and it was fully charged. 48v cart. Solenoid does not click but I checked with meter and it appears to be working properly. Is my problem the controller or OBC?
GatorB877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2021, 04:41 AM   #2
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid not clicking but batteries fully charged

Put your meter on the small solenoid terminals....Key on...In forward...Step on go pedal...You should see pack voltage on your meter...If you do replace the solenoid..If you don't the problem is elsewhere (key switch..Foot switch etc)...Might want to jack up rear of the cart for safety.....
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:21 PM   #3
GatorB877
Not Yet Wild

Not sure what you mean by pack voltage. Small terms on solenoid show 337 and do not change when pressing accelerator. I pulled the solenoid out and jumped it and it clicked. It does not click with all wiring connected to terminals. Any ideas?
Old 06-16-2021, 03:39 PM   #4
biphase
Gone Wild

When you step on the pedal with the cart in FWD, you should get 48 volts on the small terminal of the solenoid that has the RED wire on it. With the pedal down, you should see zero volts on the other small terminal with the YELLOW wire on it. If you see 48 volts on the YELLOW wire, the OBC is locking out the solenoid. Try jumping the small terminal with the YELLOW wire to B-. That should bypass the OBC and allow the solenoid to operate.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #5
GatorB877
Not Yet Wild

I got 48 volts on both small terms. So you think it is OBC or controller? I have a Curtis 300A model 1204-412. Do you think that is the issue? Not sure what you mean by jumping small term with yellow wire to B-. I see the B- on the Curtis but not sure how to jump it. I may not have correct tools as I am a newbie. I have car jumper cables. Where should I attach each cable to jump small term if possible?
Old 06-17-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
biphase
Gone Wild

It is not the controller. The OBC is preventing the solenoid from activating. The OBC is supposed to connect the yellow wire to ground (B-) whenever you do NOT have a charger plugged in. You can bypass the OBC by using a jumper to connect the small terminal with the yellow wire to ground (B-). You can pick up B- on the controller or on the battery pack negative. You do not need car jumper cables because only a small current should pass through the jumper. You must be careful that your jumper does not touch any other terminal. All you need is a small clip-lead from the yellow wire to B-. When you step on the pedal, the solenoid will click and the cart should run.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
biphase
Gone Wild

Question: When you measure the voltage on the yellow wire, where are you placing your meter leads? You should place the red lead on the terminal with the yellow wire and you should place the black lead on B-
Old 06-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #8
GatorB877
Not Yet Wild

Now I understand. You are correct I got 48 volts on the red and yellow so OBC is locking out solenoid. My next question is a dumb one but this is my first golf cart. I think I am confusing OBC and controller. I thought the controller had the B- on it. Is it the OBC with B- and all of the other connected wires? Do I need to replace it? Curtis 300A model
Old 06-17-2021, 05:38 PM   #9
biphase
Gone Wild

The controller has the B-, B+ and M- blades with the heavy gauge cables connected. It also has three smaller push-on terminals.

The OBC has a hole in the middle through which the B- cable passes. The only function of the OBC is to control the battery charger and disable the cart when a charger is plugged in. The OBC can prevent the solenoid from clicking by disconnecting the yellow wire on the solenoid from ground. You can bypass the lockout function by connecting the small terminal with the yellow wire directly to ground (B-).

You might have to replace the OBC but you should try bypassing it first to see if the cart will run.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #10
biphase
Gone Wild

If you use a jumper to connect the yellow wire to ground be very careful not to let the jumper touch the red wire.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car