lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2021, 11:27 PM   #1
Carts Plus
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 2009 EZGO RXV Troubleshooting

After all the forums I've read on this wonderful website, I have reached the point where I am not making any progress. I have a customers 2009 EZGO RXV. Customer claimed he brought it home from a cruise, plugged it in for the night, went for a drive the next day and the cart was locked up. He tried to put the cart in R, N, & F, but nothing would happen, not even a solenoid click. After countless hours into the cart already, I am reaching out to you master Technicians!

I have replaced the solenoid, motor brake, and charger port. When I replaced the brake and solenoid, nothing at all changed. However, today I decided to throw the charger on to see what happened (Even though it was just recently fully charged). The charger was flashing fault and would not charge the cart. Assuming the charger port was OEM, it was time for a new one anyway from years of abuse. Well, a step in the right direction, the new charger port/wiring that I installed woke the cart just a little. I now get a click from the solenoid, and a 1/4 turn from the motor brake, but still nothing as far as movement goes. I have cleaned around the pedals, made sure no debris was forcing the accelerator/brake in either direction. I do notice with the key on R, N, or F and Tow/Run in Run, you can hear a high pitched electronic sound coming from the solenoid/controller area. It sounds like the cart is in motion even though it won't move (could just be coincidence?). The cart was always very fast. To my knowledge, all parts are stock. The cart would definitely hit mid 20's if I had to guess. It is lifted with bigger wheels/tires. Could this have been a sign of a bad controller all along?

I do not want to keep throwing money at it at this point. I am new to the golf cart game and I am learning as I go. So my questions are, is this a controller issue, motor issue, or some other electronic issue? Are there further tests I can try to rule out the controller or motor? Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, all!

The Cart has (x4) Trojan 12v batteries (not new) that have a pack reading of: 52.7v
Each individual battery reads: 13.1v
Carts Plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2021, 05:02 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 EZGO RXV Troubleshooting

Each time you turn it on, the controller is performing a self test - solenoid, parking brake etc. If one thing is failing, the cart won't go. The high pitched sound you describe probably coming from the reverse buzzer, which is part of the self test sequence.

The 2009 RXV is equiped with a Danaher controller, the Troubleshooting Guide may help you a lot.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/attachme...4&d=1397903747
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:44 PM   #3
Carts Plus
Not Yet Wild

Appreciate your reply and the handy guide. I have read it over and over with lots of new tests I have performed. I’m still leaning towards a controller as a betting man, but still not certain on it. After investigating the 5 volt (high or low) section of the troubleshooting, I’m hoping I’ve crossed some information to lead me to a firm solution. Here is more information I have gathered with further testing:
As stated in the troubleshooting guide, I unplugged the 23 pin controller harness to test my accelerator and brake pedal sensors for continuity less than 10k ohms. Accelerator showed 7.3 ohms (unplugged testing orange(+) and black(-), brake sensor did not show a reading on my multimeter. I then reconnected all plugs including the 23 pin controller harness. Next, I tested the orange wire (+) at pin #3 and black (-) at pin #4 and get 5v like it says I should get with key ON and still in tow.
Moving forward, I tested the accelerator pedal with my positive lead on yellow, and black to black ground and got a voltage of .17 and depressing the accelerator did not change the value. I then tested the brake pedal with my positive lead on green and my negative lead on black to get a reading of .19v. If I press hard enough to activate the brake, it jumps up to .33v and clicks the brake. Voltage does not steadily climb to 5 volts on either the brake or accelerator like it should, according to my understanding of the guide.
Does this lead anyone to believe this is a controller issue? I just don’t want to spend the $400 to guess if it is.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:55 PM   #4
Carts Plus
Not Yet Wild

Tested the accelerator once again, but this time with the brake sensor unplugged (tested it this way by accident by forgetting to plug in the brake sensor). It reads .5v with key on (tow mode) and climbs to roughly 4.2v when depressing the pedal. Same test to brake pedal with the accelerator sensor unplugged, and get a reading of .2v and it will jump to .3-.4v when park brake plunger is depressed but does not climb voltage like it should.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

.17v on the yellow/black at accelerator and it should be .38 - .56v? Maybe try with both sensors new, they're not expensive and you'll see if that change anything or try with a known good controller but that's difficult as the Danaher controller is obsolete.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:25 AM   #6
Carts Plus
Not Yet Wild

Ojo, really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. This actually solved my case.

Tried brake sensor first just because I thought that would be the bad one out of the two. Same issue with new brake sensor. Thought I was running out of luck until I replaced the accelerator sensor. FIRED RIGHT UP AND I WAS STOKED! Again, thank you. Blessings your way!
Old 07-30-2021, 05:13 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wonderful to hear, sometimes you'll need a little luck to start at the right point.

Tags
bad controller, rxv troubleshooting, won't move
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO