lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
rickweidel@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Default High Voltage Readings F1/F2 - Curtis 1206 mx Controller testing

2008 EZGO PDS TXT, 1206 MX Controller, OEM Solenoid, Motor, 18 " Wheels, 36 volt, mild hill plug

Testing controller due to sudden lithium battery pack or controller cutout with 39 volts and around 100 amps. Cutout happens on mild uphill, sounds like motor winds down, then get 3 or 4 continuous uninterrupted beeps. No signal beeps and then code beeps. No codes when running on jacks.

Using EZGO PDS Speed control troubleshooting Guide. Page f 11 step 13. Have a reading at F1/F2 on controller of ~1.5 volts when solenoid kicks in at 1.5 volts and 9.5 volts when at full throttle. Checked wire continuity from f1/f2 to motor f1/f2 - good

Checked ITS function via J4 pins 1.3 volts at solenoid click, 14.2 volts supply, 2.79 at full throttle.

Tested, key switch, F/ R switch/speed sensor/ reed switch - none/ buzzer/ all to specification. Solenoid clicks, motor resistance good.

Is the voltage range for for the F1/F2 Field control abnormal to control the motor or is the Curtis controller bad

Regards Rick
rickweidel@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: High Voltage Readings F1/F2 - Curtis 1206 mx Controller testing

What lithium pack do you have in it? How many Ah?
Lithium packs with a built in BMS will reach shut-off amperage and totally shut down as a protection against thermal runaway.
Usually this is because the pack is undersized for the demand the motor is placing on it.

Not sure what should be normal on the field voltage, but to me that doesn't sound out of the ordinary.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The only specs I've been able to find for the F1/F2 voltage is 2.7V +/-0.5V at full throttle with rear wheels off ground and spinning at max speed. And that is found in step-13 on page F-11.

Varying the field amps (known as field mapping) is how sepex motors are transformed from high-torque/low-speed to low-torque/high-speed during operation. High field amps equals high-torque and low field amps equals high-speed. The condition created by step-13 should be minimum field amps, so the 2.7V or so, should about be the lowest seen if the mother and controller are working right.

The PDS controller is a second generation device and probably only used armature amps to map the field amps, so if very few armature amps were being drawn, the field voltage would be low and if the armature was drawing high amps (IE motor turning slow) the field voltage would be higher.

The trick is if you weaken the field too much relative to the armature's amp draw, the motor overheats severely. Attached are Field weakening limitation maps (curves) for a CC AMD motor (probably similar to the curve for a stock PDS motor) and for the D&D motor I'm running in my PDS.

-------------
I'm inclined to suspect the amp draw is too high the the Li pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Feild weakening for CC AMD motor.jpg (170.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ES-76-51 fld lim map0001.jpg (251.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
rickweidel@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the charts and reples. Any further advice wellcome.

I think the batteries are well sized for my golf application.

Yes those are the voltage specs 2.5 +/- that troubled me in to thinking my controller was not working correctly. It implied that the higher voltage might be overspec.

In terms of the lithium pack the current one I've just installed is 38.5 Volt 104 amp hr, with wifi BMS. It has alarm on pack current 155 Amps, protect at 160 amps with a 1000 ms delay.

Monitoring the amps I see normal draw of about 65 amps, 75 over a entire run. Highest I have seen is 110 amps.

Something cuts out around 100 amps, with over 38 volts on the pack.

Previously I had a 3* 12 volt 72 amp Lithium set up. Did about 60 rounds with one initial cut out failure going uphill with a voltage drop of 5 volts. The second more recent failure on an uphill segment also.

I've checked the brakes, differential, alignment thinking something suddenlly happened to draw more amps. Those 3 batteries had separate BMS, but an equalizer. They were BMS as follows, so gave more amp space.

Discharge
Optimal Current 14.4A (0.2C)
Max Cont. Current 72A (1C) ≤5min
Max Inst. Current 200A (2.78C) ≤5s

Charge

Optimal Current 14.4A (0.2C)
Max Cont. Current 72A (1C) ≤5min

Specs on current pack.

Rated Capacity: 100Ah ± 3 @ (0.2C), 3840Wh
Nominal Voltage: 38.4Vdc
Cycle Life: 2000 @ 0.2C (100% DOD), 6000 @ 0.2C (80% DOD), 10000 @ 0.2C (50% DOD)
Dimensions: L 509 × W 246 × H 236mm (20.06 x 9.67 x 9.31”)
Weight: 34kg (75lb)
Battery Management System: Software: Low Temp Charge, Current, Voltage, Short Circuit, Cell Balancing, Adjustable Set Points, Battery Heating - Optional
Cells: 12S2P Prismatic 3.2V 50Ah LFP
Charging Method: Constant Current - Constant Voltage (CC - CV): (0.2C to 43.2Vdc) - (43.2Vdc to 0.02C)
Voltage Limits: Charge: 43.8Vdc, Discharge: 30Vdc
Current Limits: Charge: 100Adc, Discharge: 100Adc
Temperature Limits: Charge -20 ~ 45°C, Discharge -20 ~ 55°C, Storage -20 ~ 55°C
Connectivity: Series: N/A, Parallel: Unlimited* (38.4Vdc)
rickweidel@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO