lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2022, 04:22 PM   #1
Macdoctor56
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1996 G16 fuel issue.

I just sold my G16 a few weeks ago now the new owner is having trouble. It ran perfectly forvthe last 2 years Ive owned it and nowbfor some reason isn't getting enough fuel. I replaced the fuel pump andcfilter and fuel is moving just not enough to keep it running. I checked the pickup tube and I don't see any cracks in it. What size fuel line goes from the tank and pump then from pump to carb?
Someone worked on it before my and tried replacing the fuel lines with that cheap blue see through line, can that cause a problem with pressure?
Macdoctor56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2022, 04:58 PM   #2
SteveCSC
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1996 G16 fuel issue.

I am still early in my learning on carts, but here you go... Cheap line(s) can equal a gummy residue in the carb that tends to make everything... sticky. Ironically enough, just about the only thing I've found for an alcohol gummed carb is high strength rubbing alcohol plus a set of carb cleaning tools that are sized and meant for that purpose. (fine wires and brushes sized to hit the small tubes/orifices). That said, I have used a single strand of fine steel to do the same thing in a pinch.

It is possible for the same gummies to bugger up the fuel pump really well. There are a set of small valves that have to open and close based on the pulses from the crank.

Last but not least, the suction lines from the tank to pump intake need to be 100% tight, any air leaking in, you will not pump fuel.

So in order, checking suction line is tight (can't rotate on any fittings). If that doesn't do it, put the output of the pump into a jar - crank the engine for a few seconds - if you see fuel (enough to fill the carb bowl - 1-2 oz in a few seconds) then I'd move to the carb and see if something is getting sticky.

Oh, and also the fuel filter - if you have one, replace it. Quick and easy way to eliminate one more issue.

Fuel line sizes - 5/16 or 1/4" - 5/16 little loose on some fittings, 1/4" takes a bit more to get on, perhaps drop of lube or two.
SteveCSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:44 PM   #3
Macdoctor56
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

These lines have been on there 2 days and the problem started 3 days ago. This cart ran flawlessly for 2 years and up to the day I sold it to thenm then it sat for 2 weeks. They drove it 10 minutes and it stopped running.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:09 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Start with the basics and confirm it is actually a fuel delivery issue. Take the fuel line off the carb, put it in a mason jar, and crank the engine. It should spurt fuel consistently into the jar. It’s not gonna be like an efi with a steady stream of fuel. There is no “pressure”. It’s just a way it moves fuel from tank to carb, maybe a teaspoon per spurt. One spurt per rpm. It may take a few seconds before it starts to spurt.

If it’s squirting fuel into the jar look elsewhere. Fuel pump is working. If not then it’s on the pumps side.

There’s a lot of things to check based on the results of this test, but I’m an effort to not go completely into a book here let’s find out if it’s squirting fuel or not.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:10 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also you said you replaced the fuel pump. What brand of fuel pump did you buy? A mikuni? Or whatever Amazon had on the shelf?
Old 09-26-2022, 12:44 PM   #6
Macdoctor56
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought the pump from our local Yamaha golf cart dealer, $86.00 which I thought was really steep. What size fuel line goes from the tank to the fuel pump then pump to the carb I want to replace them both.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:57 AM   #7
1arunem
Gone Wild

1/4" is what i use.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:19 PM   #8
Macdoctor56
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

For both, for some reason I thought the line from the tank to the fuel pump was different size than the one that goes from the fuel pump to the carb.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:02 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yes. It will work fine for both.

Since there’s no “pressure” in the fuel line and flow rate is actually relatively low, the fuel line size honestly isn’t super critical. I usually use 1/4” or 3/16” whatever I happen to find that day the clear blue stuff works well too if you suspect a fuel delivery issue as you can see the fuel flowing through the line.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #10
Macdoctor56
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I pulled the line off the carb and I'm not getting any fuel flow at all through the output of the fuel line when I crank it, the pumps brand new.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha