lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
andyleonard
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 Which Way Do the Rings Go?

I just got a G2 rebuild kit from BGW and the top 2 rings have no markings on them and one of them has a tapered profile. Which is the top ring and which way up does the tapered ring go into the piston groove? Thanks.
andyleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
andyleonard
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G2 Which Way Do the Rings Go?

There are no markings on the rings whatsoever and they are identical in color and material. One ring looks completely symmetrical and I'm guessing goes on top. The tapered ring has a 90* face that contacts the wall and a flat bottom (or Top) but the other horizontal is not at 90* to the face and the inside height is .010 smaller than the face height.

Does the tapered side go up or down?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
tjstahly
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Hi Andy the rings go 1.Keystone profile(slants down left to right) and the slant is on the top.
2.is Plain or tapered face (slants from top to bottom)The shorter part of the slant is on top
3.is an oil ring put the wavy part in first then the two steel rings go on top and bottom of the wavy ring ,
And make sure you stagger your gaps on the rings,

top ring 11:00 position
middle ring 5:00 position
oil ring upper rail 7:00 position
oil ring lower rail 1:00 position
Arrow mark on top of piston at 9:00 position
arrow should be pointing towards the left part of the "Y" on the lower part of the connecting rod.
Hope this helps ya. make sure you have your balance shaft timed with all the dots lined up correctly on crank and cam and balance shaft or it will vibrate. Have fun these engines are a real blast.
Tom
tjstahly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
andyleonard
Not Yet Wild

O.K. Tom, so the plain ring is #2 and the #1 ring wants the flat side down on the bottom of the ring land and the tapered side on the top? All ring sealing faces are parallel to the cylinder wall. Is the purpose of the taper to let the combustion gasses in on top of the ring to expand it from behind? Can't be for oil scavenge.

Sure wish BU had included a paper on these rings. They clearly are not from Yamaha.

I've got the cam synced with the crank with nice dots and I have a dot on the balancer and nothing on the crank to match. What I have done is align the cam/crank with the dots ... and then line the dot on the balancer up with the line between the center of the crank and the center of the balancer. That puts the counterweight in 180* opposition to the crank weights, which seems right. Comments? Thanks. Andy
Old 09-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
rib33024

Here's a thread about the timing , which sponsor did you get the rings from, here at BGW

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...tml#post316629
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
andyleonard
Not Yet Wild

As stated in posts #1 and #3, rings are from Buggies Gone Wild. Anyone on the ring positions?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
rib33024

The reason I ask in post #5, is because Buggies Gone Wild has 22 sponsors and I was wondering which one you got then from,

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyleonard View Post
As stated in posts #1 and #3, rings are from Buggies Gone Wild. Anyone on the ring positions?

and for the position of the rings, it was answered in post #3 and here, in your other thread ---- http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-rings-go.html ---- in post # 3
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:52 AM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyleonard View Post
Andy, actually it was 1 and 4, Just for clarification BGW or BuggiesGoneWild.com doesn't sell parts or carts. It is a descussion forum that is supported by donations from it's great members and sponsors.
Those sponsors sell parts, carts and services. Rib was asking which of our site sponsors did you get the rings from. They might be able to shed some light on the question but TJ covered it nicely. The dot on the balancer points to center of crank.

Edit: Oops, Rib beat me to it.......
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
andyleonard
Not Yet Wild

Sorry, Buggies Unlimited - not BGW was the supplier. Sorry, I was referring to MY first and 3rd posts on this page. I appreciate the help. I paid my way through college in the '60s rebuilding motorcycles, I owned a BMW shop in the '70s and I remain an active vintage racer who builds my own engines and transmissions. I appreciate the tips on ring and plug indexing.

What I am trying to find out here is whether the tapered ring is on top or is #2 and which way the tapered side goes...up or down.

This mans seems to be saying it's on top :

Hi Andy the rings go 1.Keystone profile(slants down left to right) and the slant is on the top.
2.is Plain or tapered face (slants from top to bottom)The shorter part of the slant is on top

This man says it's #2:

The one with the tapper is the second ring. With short side up=\ , usually there are some kind of a marking on rings, might just be like a letter like (R) but usually any markings go up and I have heard of a few with no markings that apparently didn't matter witch way ya put them. But that tapper does matter.

So it's either the top ring...or it's #2...and we think the tapered face points up.

How would you put it together? I'll call the supplier and see what they say.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
andyleonard
Not Yet Wild

Buggies Unlimited tech support says this:

Andy;
Tapered ring is installed in top groove.
This ring will fit in groove only one way. Taper up.
If you have any more questions, please let me know.
Andy Kielawa
Tech Support
***-856-8315
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha