lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Harlmolla001
Not Yet Wild

Default Wont start, backfiring out of carb, 2 days in.

89 G2. I pulled the motor to do rings and a valve guide. Put it all back together,(lined up the dots on the cam and crank pointed the balancer at the center of crank). It wont start. It is getting good spark, and plenty of fuel is getting to the carb(I know cause it is blowing it back out of the intake end). It will not start on ether, it blows it out of the carb. If I partially block the intake of the carb with my fingers it starts really blowing lots of gas out, but then when I pull my fingers out it starts letting what looks and smells like exhaust out of the carb. It has backfired flames out of both the intake and the exhaust. The plug doesnt seem to be getting wet though. I cranked it for a solid minute and it no gas on the plug. Im lost. I pulled the side cover and rechecked the timing, I pulled the valve cover and checked the valve movement. Ive checked my wire placement 20 times, checked vacuum line placement 30 times. Pulled the carb and soaked it in gas for a day and reinstalled. The flywheel/fan is centered on the keyway. I dont know what else to do. I read tons of posts and cant chase down anything that has helped others. Smallblock posted one about a ground connection being bad, I check my neg. battery connetion and my neg. starter connection and they are both tight. Is there a chassis ground? Would a back connection cause this, even though there is good spark? any ideas?
Harlmolla001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Wont start, backfiring out of carb, 2 days in.

If it is pushing gas out of the carb, either your valve timing is off, or the engine is turning backwards. Did you accidentally hook the battery up backwards?
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Harlmolla001
Not Yet Wild

Update: 5 mins after my first post I had an idea. I adjusted the valves with the side cover off, and the end of the cam slightly hanging down(unsupported on that end). Then I bolted the side cover on, which lifted the end of the cam a slight bit higher and lifted the entire valve train, and jammed the valves down. So this was not allowing the valves to close fully. I loosened the valves, and it fired up and ran. Now I just need to get the carb dialed in. Anyone have a how to on carb adjusting cause I dont know what im doing.
Harlmolla001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

put air covers on

put clutch and flywheel on

adjust valves,

put valve cover on

drop motor in,

in that order
toadady is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha