lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
landcruzn
Not Yet Wild

Default Positive ground on frame

Trying to install a amp and speakers on my 96 48 volt regen and when the amp touches the frame is this common or uncommon
landcruzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
mnslawn1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Positive ground on frame

It's not going to be anything I believe unless your ground from the battery is attached to the frame. Your best bet is to attach the ground to the ground on the battery. I know mine is 36volt and I have mine hooked to 2 of my 6volt batteries to equal my 12volts required to power it up.

Hope this helps !!!
mnslawn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
landcruzn
Not Yet Wild

Well when i take a volt meter to the neg side battery and touch the frame it shows like 53to volts
Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Hoof Hearted
Gone Wild

If you tap into the battery pack at any positive terminal then ground to the frame you will have full voltage. If you tap into one battery and back to that same battery for ground you will get that voltage (6, 8 or 12 whichever batteries you have).

Get yourself a voltage reducer or install an extra 12 volt battery, seperate, just for your accessories.
Hoof Hearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Don't use the frame to ground anything!!!!
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GatorClub View Post
Don't use the frame to ground anything!!!!
. . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
landcruzn
Not Yet Wild

I wasnt using the frame for nothing other than mountinf the amp to it but when the amp body touches the frame sparks go everywhere
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruzn View Post
I wasnt using the frame for nothing other than mountinf the amp to it but when the amp body touches the frame sparks go everywhere
First you need to figure out why you've got current on your frame. It's normal to see some with the ammeter as far as voltage goes, but not full pack voltage. However, as far as amps go it shouldn't have enough amps to light up the smallest of light bulbs. Your amp is shooting sparks because the case of the amp works as a ground, i'm sure along with the main black wire that's hooked to the NEG post on the amp as well. There's amperage to your frame from another post somewhere and that's causing a short. Hook your multimeter positive lead up to the main positive post, and the negative to the frame and start unplugging stuff until the voltage disappears. This will help you locate your issue. I had this problem yesterday on a Carryall1 IQ. Voltage was getting into the frame from a windshield wiper motor bolted to a cab and grounded via the base of the wiper motor. 50.2Volts to frame. The wire harness was completely melted because someone tried to put a keyswitch in it and dropped the wire on the frame creating a direct short. It's bad news and it MUST be fixed. It's also not a bad idea to isolate your amp and mount it somewhere other than the frame if possible.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In some cases I have seen wet top batteries ground to the frame due to over filling.
If your battery tops are wet this may be the cause? But, there is usually not much amperage associated with this type of short.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

lANDCRUZN,

I kinda have the same problem but mine leak is coming from my Bandit motor through the rear end to the frame, the winding are going out on the Bandit, It's not the Bandits fault My controller and tires are to big for the bandit. I will just upgrade the motor once I burn it up.

Steve
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car