lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
vwstreetrod
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger Hums...Does Not Charge

I have a '02 TXT 36v stock controller and motor, lifted cart. Batteries 2 months old. Did new battery break in per Scotty B's instructions. Everything worked great. Charged every time to about 38-39 volts per Scotty B's digital SOC meter.

Now the charger hums but it does not show any voltage going to the batteries. Each battery is down to 6.1 volts and it won't change. The SOC
does not increase while the charger is on.

Is there a fuse in the charging circuit that might have blown or does it sound like the charger is gone? I can't see the meter in the charger, only hear it.
Thanks, Cliff
vwstreetrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger Hums...Does Not Charge

Welcome to BGW!

Which charger do you have?

If I understand you correctly, you can hear the transformer hum, but the needle on the ammeter stays at zero and the battery pack voltage does not increase when on charge.

Possible problems causing those symptoms:
1. Blown fuse at the battery end of one of the wire coming from the cart's charge receptacle. Not present in all carts.
2. Blown fuse or circuit breaker in the charger's DC output circuit. Not present in all chargers.
3. The diodes in charger are blown.
4. Broken/disconnected wire in charging loop.
5. Bad connection in charging loop.
6. Open secondary in transformer.

Probably some others, but need to know which charger to be more specific.

If you have a 12V car battery charger, it might be a good idea to charge those relatively new 6V batteries in pairs so the don't sit around partially discharged while waiting for the 36V charger to be fixed.

You don't have to disconnect the cables, just put the 12V charger across two of them, Here's a drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Wiring - TXT and Medalist -12V charger.JPG (36.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
Cjopga09
Not Yet Wild

I'm sorry I'm sort of new to this...
Can you maybe put any of this in English?
I am trying to find all of these fuses and diodes and don't know where to locate them....
I've been trouble shooting and have he same issue humming but no charging... I have and old ezgo and an old charger in which sat for A few months and then started this problem.
Cjopga09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It is in English.

To help you troubleshoot, I need to know which cart and which charger you have.

There are pictures on the linked EZGO website that show the majority of their different carts produced from about 1976 to present. If you can find the serial number on your cart, entering it on the website ought to identify the body style and year.
https://shop.ezgo.com/customer-servi...ialNumber.html

More importantly, I need to know the make/model of the charger.
You say it is old and it hums, so it is likely to be one of the chargers in the attached pictures, or a variant thereof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manual Charger - Black Face.JPG (42.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PW charger - Faceplate.JPG (447.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo (2).JPG (126.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg TC III.jpg (236.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150325_112111563.jpg (302.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If your having trouble with Johnnie's explanation you may want to go to a cart shop instead of DIY. You need some electrical knowledge before attempting some of this stuff

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had the same problem with my powerwise charger a while ago. It was a bad capacitor in the charger. (JohnnieB’s 2nd picture)

It would hum, but the capacitor was bad so the transformer wasn’t getting started.

Club Car DS Driver’s Club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
I had the same problem with my powerwise charger a while ago. It was a bad capacitor in the charger. (JohnnieB’s 2nd picture)

It would hum, but the capacitor was bad so the transformer wasn’t getting started.
FWIW: It is a ferroresonant transformer with a capacitor connected across a dedicated winding to boost the output voltage of the center tapped secondary.

Foe a 36V charger the secondary voltage is about 60VAC without the capacitor and about 90VAC with it (if the µF value of the capacitor is correct). The secondary is center tapped, so each diode in the full wave rectifier has 1/2 the secondary voltage applied to it.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
FWIW: It is a ferroresonant transformer with a capacitor connected across a dedicated winding to boost the output voltage of the center tapped secondary.

Foe a 36V charger the secondary voltage is about 60VAC without the capacitor and about 90VAC with it (if the µF value of the capacitor is correct). The secondary is center tapped, so each diode in the full wave rectifier has 1/2 the secondary voltage applied to it.
Now you're really talking a different language Johnnie! [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Tags
down to 36.1 volts, new batteries
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO