lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
joshdelisle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 96 EZGO Electric wont Go at all - got nothing

I just acquired a 1996 ezgo freedom txt (not sure I even said that right). I replaced the batteries hoping for the best and i got nothing. When I turn the key on, the battery gauge doesn't light up. With the key on the solenoid doesn't click when I press the pedal. I figured the ignition switch may be bad, so I attempted to hotwire the cart by mating two of the terminals on the ignition. The battery gauge illuminated (full) and the reverse alarm came on. I was hoping I would get some movement when I pressed the pedal, thus concluding I would have to change the ignition switch and Nuthin....The guy who gave me the cart said it just stopped working one day. Have I already wasted too much money on a 1996 cart by buying the batteries? Should I stop now? Can anyone point me in the right direction before I call a professional and pay an arm and a leg.... Thanks, Josh
joshdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: 96 EZGO Electric wont Go at all - got nothing

Welcome to BGW and the fun!
We need to know what type of cart it is- does it have a controller or resistor coils?
Does the cart charge when you plug in the charger?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

CONGRATS on the ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
Garcia8051
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just convert it to gas. I picked up a 99 EZGO TXT , hoping to have it run electric but once i wired up battery's,got a set of keys, i got Nothin. No movement so i just started my conversion immediately. Tore off the electric motor, controller. Then Bought a 6.5 Predator engine from Harbor Freight for 99$. Ordered 13 tooth #40 sprocket,13/16 adapter off surplus center and Used a motorcycle chain. it runs real good. plenty power for offroad, which is where il be using. Only about a 250 $ conversion
Garcia8051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You might have found the only thing you needed was to bypass the reed switch, but you're a gasser now, so ya gotta post your results there.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
joshdelisle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies!
The cart has a controller and charges fine. The batteries are brand new (i just bought them). I charged them once they were installed, I was told to do so by the battery guy.
-Josh
joshdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Josh, to get the most bang for your buck ...... you should read everything in the link below.....

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Tutorial.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

96 EZ is a TXT. Concentrate your efforts on the solenoid activation circuit. The solenoid should make an audible click when you step on the gas.
The activation circuit is highlighted in red below. (assuming series drive? )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Series solenoid activation diagram.jpg (107.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
bash11
Not Yet Wild

Maybe the pedal switch is either bad not actuating when the pedal is pushed. You can check with an ohmmeter, but make sure all the batteries are disconnected before you do so.
bash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

did the solenoid ever click when you pressed the pedal after you bypassed the key switch. if not it could me in the solenoid or it could be in the little red wire that runs from the charger port. make sure that is still hooked up if im not mistaken that should run to your tow switch where the controller is. a few simple steps to try and eliminate before you get to in depth with it. hope fully some more will chime in and help with this also.

Also there is a way to test the solenoid before you go out and just buy a new one. you can jump it by having two wires one coming from the positive battery (first battery) and one coming from the negative Battery (last Battery). make sure you touch the wire coming from the pos to the little prong on the solenoid that is in the front that has the red wires on it and the neg to the other one right beside it with the black wires. if it clicks then odds of it being a solenoid is slim.
cfstokes55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO