lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
NoMoreTime
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 DCS cart with new issue

I have not started any diagnostics yet as we just returned from a camping trip, but thought maybe someone could point me in the right direction. The cart started doing something strange. While driving along the cart suddenly brakes to a stop, or partial stop. But not a mechanical brake, it's an electrical type stop, like a re-gen cart would do. Sometimes the cart would go again right away, other times we had to wait a few minutes before the cart would move. We turned the key on/off, changed the FNR lever back and forth, turned the tow/run switch on/off, and nothing happend. It seemed like we just had to wait a few minutes. When it did move again it ran fine with no problems. Then it could be ten feet or a quarter mile, and it would do it again. The last day as we tried to get it loaded in my truck, it did it 3 times in 30 feet. I did not verify this yet, but I seem to think that I did not hear the solenoid click when it was experiencing this issue. I'm going to look thru wiring prints ect., but in the meantime any thoughts would be appreciated. By the way, this is a bone stock 36 volt system.

Thanks
NoMoreTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 DCS cart with new issue

The controller is shot. It has been going into thermal cutback until it cools. Once cooled to a certain temperature it will run again, problem is this cutback is reached quicker each time until eventually it does not come back...

Upgrade to pkg 505DCS for more torque and speed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
NoMoreTime
Not Yet Wild

That's what I was afraid of. Would carrying 2 extra people around the campground for a long time cause this? This package you mention, is this something you sell? What's included and cost? And at some point I'd like to add larger wheels/tires, not huge just maybe 1 step up from stock. Would this package be good for that as well. I do not care about making it faster. Thanks
Old 05-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, stock golf carts are designed for golf, drive a little, wait drive a little more. Carrying 4 adults over long distances is the exact opposite of what it was designed for.

Scottyb recommended his 505DCS kit but if you plan on using the rear seat a lot I would recommend going to the 606DCS kit as it would handle the load better than the 400 amp controller.

I have a 96 DSC and when my controller went out I went with the 505 kit which I LOVE but if I had it to do over again I would go for the 500amp controller. Better to have it an not need it than to need it an not have it.
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
NoMoreTime
Not Yet Wild

OK, sounds good, thanks.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We don't recommend you use the 500a control with the stock DCS or PDS motor. Pkg 606 does work very well with the aftermarket motors.

Pkg 505 is all you need for more torque and speed. - Still wanting more? Run the stock motor on 42v

See our speed control pkg selection here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My bad I was thinking that with the extra weight with the rear seat you needed the 500amp. Good to know that I don't have to worry about my 400amp controller then
Old 05-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
NoMoreTime
Not Yet Wild

Just a follow up. Many thanks to Scotty as I got the new controller from him and things are working great. I was suprised at the noticable increase in speed and torque. Thanks again Scotty for the help.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreTime View Post
Just a follow up. Many thanks to Scotty as I got the new controller from him and things are working great. I was suprised at the noticable increase in speed and torque. Thanks again Scotty for the help.
Its fun isn't it? I love mine, and can't wait until I go to 48v!
Old 05-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
NoMoreTime
Not Yet Wild

Sure is,, but now I need to look into tires/suspension. The cart seems to bounce more then it should. Think i'll start with a new set of shocks and try a different set of rear tires. They are basicly lawn tractor tires someone put on there and they have very soft sidewalls which I think gives a "squishy" ride and I'm sure they are not made to go this fast.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO