lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #21
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Any New Ideas On Locking The Seat?

Agreed this can be a tough crowd.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #22
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang99x View Post
So let me see if I have this about right. I did all the work to find a solution to a problem that no one else seems to have ever done, and because I didn't give you the schematics or a video disclosing what I used or how I used it you think it's crap. Awesome. You must be the best business people in the world.

However seeing as I don't plan on pursuing it any further, for the rest of you who didn't talk about how crappy it was, PM and I'll show you what you need and how to do it. Just remember that if someone is intent on stealing something, there is no sure fire way to fully lock down a cart made of plastic. The method I used was simple and relatively inexpensive. I think you'd be better off with a battery disconnect switch like those used on race cars that are keyed.
1. I have no idea if you found a "solution" or not. Your said solution may cost $5,000 for one cart. How do I know? And if it's such a great idea, then why not patent it and license it? Or....maybe not so great?

2. See #1 for reasons why not to pursue.

3. I called it crappy. I don't want the plans even if you send me money with them.

4. I'm not the best business person in the world, but I did retire at 49. How 'bout you?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #23
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi Stang. PM sent. I like the idea of deterring a thief without having another hole drilled in the body of the cart. I know it's not thief proof, but a thief deterrent. And that's exactly what I am hoping to achieve.

I like to put the cart in Tow mode and pull the key and put in neutral when I stop, but anybody who knows carts can undo these things. So I need something else.

The neutral thing already saved my cart once... It was in my front yard of all things! I left the key in the cup holder, went inside for 5 minutes for a soda. Came out and the cart had been rolled a few feet and the key was in the ignition... Whomever it was couldn't drive it so they tried pushing and evidently gave up. Must have seen me pull up otherwise I would imagine I would have seen them when I came back outside.

Now, every time, key out and with me, neutral and tow mode.

Thanks!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #24
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Nothing is thief proof. I park my cart during the week in a public parking lot at a marina with about 40 other carts. My thinking is if you make your cart more thief proof they are going to another cart that is easier prey.

And I do not want an electric lock. What do you do if it fails locked? Already been down that road with electric pickup truck tailgate locks.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #25
stang99x
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
1. I have no idea if you found a "solution" or not. Your said solution may cost $5,000 for one cart. How do I know? And if it's such a great idea, then why not patent it and license it? Or....maybe not so great?

2. See #1 for reasons why not to pursue.

3. I called it crappy. I don't want the plans even if you send me money with them.

4. I'm not the best business person in the world, but I did retire at 49. How 'bout you?
People like you are the very reason innovation doesn't occur on public forums. For all I know, or care for that matter, your retirement at 49 was perhaps better known as "Unemployment." Again, I don't care. If you don't like it, then keep your opinion to yourself and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj

Hi Stang. PM sent. I like the idea of deterring a thief without having another hole drilled in the body of the cart. I know it's not thief proof, but a thief deterrent. And that's exactly what I am hoping to achieve.

I like to put the cart in Tow mode and pull the key and put in neutral when I stop, but anybody who knows carts can undo these things. So I need something else.

The neutral thing already saved my cart once... It was in my front yard of all things! I left the key in the cup holder, went inside for 5 minutes for a soda. Came out and the cart had been rolled a few feet and the key was in the ignition... Whomever it was couldn't drive it so they tried pushing and evidently gave up. Must have seen me pull up otherwise I would imagine I would have seen them when I came back outside.

Now, every time, key out and with me, neutral and tow mode.

Thanks!
Heya Bronson. Unfortunately for every innovation created to deter theft, there are two more to make it easier. Creating a locking seat does add another layer of protection to what you already do and does create more time for someone to be seen trying to drive off in your cart. I would suggest spending the few bucks to get and install an ignition that doesn't use the factory key. That in itself will stop most of the idiots who want to joyride as they expect all EZGO's will use the factory key (which most all do) You could even use any ignition you wanted that has a simple two or four pole style (depending on if you cart's ignition has the headlight function or not)
I'll send you a PM with the method I used to make the locking seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet
Nothing is thief proof. I park my cart during the week in a public parking lot at a marina with about 40 other carts. My thinking is if you make your cart more thief proof they are going to another cart that is easier prey.

And I do not want an electric lock. What do you do if it fails locked? Already been down that road with electric pickup truck tailgate locks.
No nothing is theft proof. As I said above, for every innovation in theft protection there are two more to circumvent it. However if you don't care for electrical failures, perhaps you shouldn't drive an electric cart. They fail to, as I make an easy living repairing them. If we all tried to avoid electric solutions because they "might" fail, we'd be sitting in the dark (or around a candle) reading books. Now, I don't have anything against books or candles for that matter, however I like lights and computers enough that I use electricity daily.
stang99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #26
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey DaveTM, I'm just a turd hustler from central MS, but good news, I'm only 48. So, I may still be able to make it by 49. Wish me luck.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #27
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

I started this thread seeking technical information. Could we please get this thread back on topic instead of being a testosterone filled pissing contest?
Old 06-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #28
stang99x
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I started this thread seeking technical information. Could we please get this thread back on topic instead of being a testosterone filled pissing contest?
All of the people that I know that made an attempt used electrical functions. If you want a mechanical solution, perhaps you should look on youtube. There are several video's on there with mechanical locks. One of them makes the knob that moves the locks look like a choke pull. But being mechanical only, it has to be actuated by you and thus it has to be accessible to you (or anyone else who can see it) which kinda negates the point of it to begin with.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #29
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang99x View Post
All of the people that I know that made an attempt used electrical functions. If you want a mechanical solution, perhaps you should look on youtube. There are several video's on there with mechanical locks. One of them makes the knob that moves the locks look like a choke pull. But being mechanical only, it has to be actuated by you and thus it has to be accessible to you (or anyone else who can see it) which kinda negates the point of it to begin with.
I have seen the vids that you have mentioned. So why can you make a lockable manually actuated lock?
Old 06-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #30
stang99x
Gone Wild

Well, to be manually actuated you have to be able to actuate it. This means there has to be something physical that you push, pull or in some way move to lock or unlock. If you have someone that really wants your cart, chances are he's watched you drive it. If he see's you doing something each time you get in it, he's going to know where you are doing it. If it is electrical and you just push a remote button, no one is the wiser. Perhaps you should look into adding a series of toggle switches that have to be on and off in a certain order to allow the ignition on.....if you follow what I mean. I had a friend do that in his Camaro years ago as he was afraid of theft
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO