lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #1
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Default 2005 EZGO PDS Upgrade Question

I have a 2005 EZGO PDS. Not looking to spend the money yet on the controller upgrade, but wondering if upgrading the cables to 2 or 4 gauge and replacing the solenoid to 200 amp would be worth it as a starting point. Would I even notice the difference? Cart goes around 19 or 20 with 2 adults and 2 kids and has 22 inch tires.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2005 EZGO PDS Upgrade Question

Welcome to BGW

No - the controller is limiting both speed and torque not the solenoid and cables. PS if you buy a control at Carts Unlimited you get the HD 200a solenoid for darn near nothing
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by impaper View Post
I have a 2005 EZGO PDS. Not looking to spend the money yet on the controller upgrade, but wondering if upgrading the cables to 2 or 4 gauge and replacing the solenoid to 200 amp would be worth it as a starting point. Would I even notice the difference? Cart goes around 19 or 20 with 2 adults and 2 kids and has 22 inch tires.
It depends on how bad the cables and solenoid contacts are.

My first upgrade was going to 2Ga cables (all ten of them) and while my OEM cables were only three years old and looked in good condition to a trained eye, I got a slight (seat of the pants) increase in low end torque. With stock height tires I was already hitting the stock controller's max RPM, so there was no increase in speed until I upgraded the controller.

A stock PDS controller limits the motor to about 4400 RPM, and if your tires are truly 22" tall, the cart ought to max out upwards of 22MPH on level pavement. Mathematically, it would be 23.1 MPH, but you're losing a bit over 18% of the motor's torque due to the increased tire height, so your stock motor won't reach the controller's RPM limit.

The controller and solenoid tend to be replaced at the same time, but upgrading the high current cables would be a good starting point.

Also, the coil in most solenoids is voltage specific, so if you have plans to increase the pack voltage at some point in the future, get a solenoid that will work from 36V up to 48V so you don't have to replace it when you change battery pack voltage.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
gwh1bass
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Check the cables first. My stock 06 PDS had a few cables getting hot. Replaced then "ALL" with Scotty's 2 gauge cables. Now nothing hardly gets warm.

Now to find time to install the XCT 500 controller I have!!!
gwh1bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #5
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice
Old 10-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

I saw something about an upgrade to 42v somewhere on this site but now can't find it. Can I add in the 7th 6v battery and replace the charger with a 42v without any other modifications? What impact would that have on speed and torque?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The stock controller and solenoid are 36v. They may last a while on higher voltage but failure will follow.
You need a 36-48 volt control to run higher voltage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO