lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2021, 07:23 AM   #1
Bcobb1223
Not Yet Wild

Default Lithium Swap Advise on Size of Battery Pack

Morning everyone! Been lurking in the background for quite some time but now needing some advice on going back with lead batteries or make the lithium swap. Main advice comes in form of what my setup is and what I’ll need? It’s a 2000 Club Car DS, 48v, 4 seater, 6” GTW lift, 12”x20” All Terrains, Alltrax DCX500 controller, D&D high torque motor, only accessories are head/tail lights and possibly light bar. Is it worth putting lithium’s in an older cart and what size will I need with amps? Terrain is mainly flat roads and if off-road it will be trails with minimal “off-roading” just getting me to my deer stand and out of the woods.

Will I be fine with 60ah-72ah lithium setup? Not looking for 30+ miles per charge but also not trying to spend more on a pack than I did the entire rebuild…

Thank in advance for all the help before and after this post!
Bcobb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Lithium Swap Advise on Size of Battery Pack

You want more capacity than that - and you probably want more max amps than a small pack will give you. I would go for at least 100 AH, 120 would be better.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Agree with Volt, at least 100, more is better. Cost more but should last 15 years if you buy new.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

My 72 Ah actually provides about 52 Ah usable accounting for the initial 10% dropoff and a 20% remaining SOC for safe minimum operation.

With my setup I get a nominal 1.45 Ah per mile on flat roads, speeds varying from 12 to 24 mph, documented distances between 8 and 26 miles per ride.

52Ah divided by 1.45 in my case equals 35 mile range. This is the mileage that I expected to get and has been confirmed by 15 actual rides. I charge after every ride that is more than a mile.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:39 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d have to agree with volt ampere. You won’t be happy with 60aH with those upgrades. My cart is stock with just a speed magnet and I do get 25-30 miles on a charge with my 60aH pack. But a 500A controller and high torque motor is more than twice the load of a stock cart, probably more on a heavy pull up a hill or accelerating full pedal from a stop.

That said, the difference between lithium and lead acid is no comparison. Get a bigger 120aH pack and you’ll never own a cart with lead acid batteries again. The lithium will last twice as long as a set of regular batteries offsetting some of the initial cost, but the fact that there’s literally zero maintenance, watering, etc makes up for the rest of the cost. Just get in and drive, charge it back up when it’s convenient for you instead of making sure anytime it’s parked for the night, it’s on charge never straying far from an outlet.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:07 AM   #6
Bcobb1223
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all for the responses and suggestions. You’ve twisted my arm and made me spend more money, you’re all animals! Currently looking at the Evolution 110 and it just so happens my local dealer has a pallet arriving tomorrow in south MS.

Any further suggestions on if I should go with Evolution?
Bcobb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #7
Murby
Gone Wild

88 AH of usable battery capacity is what comes in a 48 volt golf cart utilizing six 8volt batteries.
While the storage might vary a bit, I think it probably doesn't matter if its eight 6volt bats or six of the 8volt.

You need at least that much to equal what the lead acid gives you.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car