lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
jkeisel
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default getting ready to start 36v to 48v conv????

Hello All,

I am a new guy and need some expert advice. I have looked all over for info on upgrading my 1987 cc cart from 36v to 48v. I have found lots of info, but i am still a little confused on what exactly i should purchase. I would like to know the best combination of batteries, controller, and other parts neccessary to do this, I have about $2000.00 to spend. I have installed a 6" jacks spindle lift (at yalls reccomendation) and 22" tires, i plan to use original motor for now.I want the cart to have decent speed, maybe 18-20 mph. I also want to be able to ride up hills without slowing to a crawl. I typically have my self and one passenger, and if possible want to be able to pull around a small trailer with a couple of hundred pounds on it without losing too much speed or power.Sorry for the long post just want yall to have all the info. I really appreciate all the info i've recieved so far and all that is to come.
jkeisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
jkeisel
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: getting ready to start 36v to 48v conv????

I forgot to mention a possible motor upgrade in the future, just in case this effects yalls advice on any of the parts. Thanks again for all the help, hopefully one day I will have some usefull information to pass on.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

jkeisel,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

There are lots of forum threads regarding this subject. Use the search function and you will have lots of information available.

IMHO, use an Alltrax AXE (programmable) controller of 400-650 amps. Use a Curtis PB-6 throttle box, and upgrade EVERY cable to 4 gauge welding cable. You will have to fabricate the throttle box linkage and the new cables. It isn't that difficult if you have the right tools and materials. Fabricating the linkage for the PB-6 is the most difficult, but there's lots of good information on this forum on how to do it.

Stick with the stock motor for now. It handles the 48V upgrade very well.

You will need to purchase new batteries and a battery charger, and also upgrade the solenoid to 48V. The stock F/R switch is pretty sturdy, but you may want to upgrade that also.

I upgraded the controller, solenoid, welding cables, and F/R switch on my cart and spent less than $800 for my conversion from resistor cart to solid state. However, I left my cart at 36V.

You will have an additional expense (a 48V charger) but they can be found new for around $275-$350.

I hope that this helps.
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Welcome to the forum!!!

I am in the process of the same conversion. I have a 1991 Club Car DS. I pulled out the V-glide and the resistor coils along with all the wiring. I fabbed up a mounting system for the PB-6 pot box (I will post picture in the next day or so for you), added an All Trax AXE 4865 650 amp programmable controller, Heavy Duty Curtis Allbright 400 amp solenoid as reccommended by All Trax, made all new custom 2 gauge welding cable battery cables, and re-wired the whole cart according to the All Trax diagram. I am currently running it on 36 volts until I can afford 6 new 8 volt batteries to go to 48 volt. I plan on a Jake's 6" spindle lift and 23" tires on 12" rims later, as well as a new D&D motor systems motor.

I purchased a 36/48 volt switchable charger from LVS Sales for around $250.00. If you would like I can give you the links to the parts places I used for the best prices. I did alot of research to find the lowest prices. I also have some very good links to wiring diagrams and info on this upgrade. this is my first cart build and it is going great. There are alot of very helpful people on this forum who can help you. They helped me alot and now I would like to pass along what I have learned. Let me know what you need and I will post it here for you.
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is link for the charger. It works great!!!

http://www.lvssales.com/index-Chargers.html

Here is the wiring diagram I used.

http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...6-wire-dia.pdf

This is a great document to read that explains alot about the upgrade you are planning.

http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...ns-Learned.pdf

Here is the best price I found for the PB-6 pot box.

http://store.kta-ev.com/curtispb-6potbox.aspx
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
jkeisel
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks a ton for all the info guys. If I decide to upgrade the motor later will a 650 amp controller be big enough? Also I notice impalass88 used a 650amp controller with a 400amp solenoid, does that mean he is limited to 400amp. I want to make sure I dont have to buy anything twice. It appears to me that All Trax is everyone's preffered controller, where is the best place to buy one from. Also What is the best 8 volt batt. on the market. Thanks again for all the info, this forum is the most helpful i've found. Thanks for the links impalass88 they have been very helpful I think Im starting to understand what Im about to try to do. Atleast a little...
Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
jkeisel
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I forgot one more question. What would be the ideal output amps of the new charger I will have to purchase. Thanks again to everyone for all the info.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
tgautreaux
Not Yet Wild

I just upgraded a 91 club car to 48v. Here's what I did. I bought an alltrax 4845 off of ebay for $210, a mjz 200 solenoid from evdrives ($60), new 4ga wires ($30), two blem 6v batteries from interstate battery ($100), two battery boxes from batteries plus ($20), and traded in my 36v charger for a 48v charger ($150). That's all I needed. My vglide and f/r switch works fine with this setup. I ran the cart for two hours solid last weekend up and down hills at the Tennessee v. Auburn game with no problems whatsoever. The 8 6v batteries give great runtime and the cart makes it up hills with 4 people and a cooler no problem. After talking with many people about the conversion, I was told that, because my cart was a solid state cart to begin with - no resistors - my f/r switch and vglide could handle the 48v conversion. Until I have a problem, that's what I'm doing.

Oh, and I've got a 6" lift and 23" tires!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart8.JPG (72.9 KB, 108 views)
tgautreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
tgautreaux
Not Yet Wild

Ps I mounted the battery boxes behind the seatbacks so I still can use the bagwell to play golf and to carry a cooler.
tgautreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalass88 View Post
Welcome to the forum!!!

I am in the process of the same conversion. I have a 1991 Club Car DS. I pulled out the V-glide and the resistor coils along with all the wiring. I fabbed up a mounting system for the PB-6 pot box (I will post picture in the next day or so for you), added an All Trax AXE 4865 650 amp programmable controller, Heavy Duty Curtis Allbright 400 amp solenoid as reccommended by All Trax, made all new custom 2 gauge welding cable battery cables, and re-wired the whole cart according to the All Trax diagram. I am currently running it on 36 volts until I can afford 6 new 8 volt batteries to go to 48 volt. I plan on a Jake's 6" spindle lift and 23" tires on 12" rims later, as well as a new D&D motor systems motor.

I purchased a 36/48 volt switchable charger from LVS Sales for around $250.00. If you would like I can give you the links to the parts places I used for the best prices. I did alto of research to find the lowest prices. I also have some very good links to wiring diagrams and info on this upgrade. this is my first cart build and it is going great. There are alto of very helpful people on this forum who can help you. They helped me alto and now I would like to pass along what I have learned. Let me know what you need and I will post it here for you.
Very Good advice , #2 grade welding cables is a bit overkill for normal service
, But why not if you have the cables.
The 650 Amp may also be overkill for now and the motor U have,
but when U upgrade to Plum Quick, D&D or EMP this thing should be awesome
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car