lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Widest Tire Width that will fit on Stock Wheels (Rims)

2003 EZGO TXT PDS. I'm focused on speed mods, mostly street driven. I just ordered a 2" Lift Kit in order to be able to fit a slightly larger diameter (22") tire. It looks like 22" tires are availible that will fit the stock rim diameter (8"), but they are 10" wide. From what I understand the stock rims are 7" wide.

1.) Will 10" wide tires fit correctly and ride okay on 7" wide rims?

2.) Will the stock rim (no offset) and a 2" lift allow enough clearance in the wheel well while turning, etc. to avoid rubbing once mounted to the golf cart?

3.) What is the widest tire that people have been installing on stock rims with or without a lift?

Thanks for your help.
turblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: Widest Tire Width that will fit on Stock Wheels (Rims)

running a 22" on the 2" lift is pushing it

you can run those tires on your rims but they will rub the rear leaf springs on teh rear and rub the frt leaf springs while turning. you either need an offset wheel or a spacer.

also be prepared to buy a controller in the future. stock controller and tall tires dont like each other too much.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post
running a 22" on the 2" lift is pushing it
Really? I was told in a different thread that I could fit a 20" tire with no lift at all and a 22" tire with a 2" lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The lift in the kit you showed was 2" between the wheel hubs and the body, the bigger tire size (when mounted on the hub) is split 50/50 above and below the hub. A 4" taller tire gets 2" closer to the body.
I guess I will have to do some testing once the cart is lifted to see how much clearance there is when weight/vertical force is applied. From there I'll have to decide on tire size and see if it needs to be lifted more.

Thanks for the reply on tire width and the controller. I plan on doing a 48v Conversion with an Alltrax for sure before the tire upgrade. Looks like I will also be getting an offset wheel & tire combo as well.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
turblown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Just an update... I bought the EZGO Mid Rise 2" Lift Kit which includes Front and Rear HD Leaf Springs, Rear Shocks and shackle plates. I also bought new Front Shocks, new Shock Bushings and new Leaf Spring Bushings which were not included in the kit. With the current special going on it was about $215 shipped for everything. Overall I am happy with the kit, especially after seeing my old leaking shocks and old leaf springs with loose straps. After some initial measurements (even with weight added) it looks like a 22" tire should fit fine for street and dirt path use but may start to rub on bigger bumps and off road use.

I did find that the stock tires (8.5" wide) on stock rims (4+4) only have about 0.5" of horizontal clearance between the front tire to tie rod and rear tire to rear leaf spring. So if I want to go wider, whatever tires I buy will have to be mounted to an offset wheel or used with stock wheels and spacers. The tires I mentioned earlier ( 22X10-8 ) will only work on the stock wheels with a 1"' spacer or an offset (3+5) wheel. Either method results in a 0.75" horizontal clearance.

The research continues...
Old 12-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

IMO if you are buying tires I would go for a 10" wheel/rim. You will have more tire options and I have seen 10" tires cheaper than the 8" tires. Also going with a 10" you can get offset so you dont have to buy spacers. 10" rims run about 25 bucks apiece for the offset ones.

22" tires for a 8" rim are becoming harder to get not to mention you are limited on tread pattern. I say within the next few years tall tires for a 8" rim
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO