lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Removing a Precedent steering wheel!

OK, I have read the threds but all seem to be for a DS. Is there anything different on removing a precedent wheel? I got mine off my 95 DS in about 20 seconds but can't get my 08 Precedent wheel to budge! Didn't want to get too aggressive before I know if there is something else than the bolt in the center of the wheel.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
1BDPRECEDENT
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Removing a Precedent steering wheel!

Good luck!!! Yes it is just the bolt that holds it on, it fought me for about two hours. I tried letting it soak with penetrating oil and that didn't work. With no good way to pt a pulled on it I tried beating it from the backside with a hammer, that didn't work either. So I took my dremel and cut one holes through the back of the wheel in quick I put the jaws of my pulled through. As I tightened the puller it started to collapse the plastic under the jaws and it still wasn't budging. In desperation I started to beat the shaft on the puller with my hammer while it had tension and after a dozen good blows it popped loose.
1BDPRECEDENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
yellj
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Having workers with many stubborn Jeep parts a BFH and PB Blaster do wonders. However, spraying it 15 mins before you need to do the work does nothing, sparay liberally for a day or two before, nothing will break the rust in minutes. Hasn't failed me yet.
yellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
skymast
Not Yet Wild

i just had this done on my cart. its a two person job.

remove the score card holder

Unscrew the bolt on the steering column about 3/4 of the way.

have the strongest person sit in the seat and apply pressure / pull on the steering wheel.

have the other person whack bolt (hard) head on with a good sized hammer or short handle sledge while the person is pulling

person pulling the steering wheel needs to watch out, it comes off fast!
skymast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

I use my knees under the steering wheel with feet pressing on dash applying pressure under wheel after loosening nut a few turns and whack the nut with a dead blow hammer (so not to damage bolt/shaft threads) . . . usually pops loose . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cool, used the knees and hammer method (I was alone with no helpers) and came off in about 5 wacks! I just wanted to align my steering wheel so it would be streight! This precedent setup doesn't allow for wheel alignment like the old DS wheels. Got it streighter but will wait until I get my lift on to get it right!

Thanks for the help!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Cool, used the knees and hammer method (I was alone with no helpers) and came off in about 5 wacks! I just wanted to align my steering wheel so it would be streight! This precedent setup doesn't allow for wheel alignment like the old DS wheels. Got it streighter but will wait until I get my lift on to get it right!

Thanks for the help!
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post

Thanks for the help!
Did you apply some anti seize when you reinstalled the wheel?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Ha, I had a similar post a few weeks ago. Pulled and pulled on the thing and it wouldn't even get loose, much less come off. Took a breather, came in and posted and read some things on here, went back out and tapped the hammer a couple times and it came right off.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Wish I would have seen all the struggles earlier....... all you need is a hammer... Take the bolt out, re-thread it about 5-6 threads by hand, whack the bolt with a hammer, usually only 5-6 times, and the wheel will pop loose. The vibration from the hammer against the bolt will break the bond of the wheel against the column shaft. Once it's loose just remove the bolt and pull off the wheel. It's WAYYYY easier than a DS because there's no splines for it to seize to. Lots of DS cars require a steering wheel puller (BLAH) Precedent cars are EASY as long as you know how to work on them, and this is one of those examples of simplicity!
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car