lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
ryantracy
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 EZ-GO Electric/Battery connections

Recently purchased a 36v 99 ez-go. Replaced the batteries and got them all chained together but when it comes to the final connection I'm running into issues. The main question is, can you somehow tell which wires coming out of the control box (solenoid?) go to + and - battery terminals? They are not colored and look identical.

I've tried both combinations, but one of them spits out pretty large sparks (left a burn mark on terminal) and the other combination produces zero power. I am nervous to try connecting again in the fear that I will damage something or hurt myself. I've read that the sparking is normal but just want to know if there's a way to verify I am hooking up the correct wire to the battery array.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I got her looking how I wanted but now I'd love to be able to drive her. Thanks in advance!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cartbefore.jpg (25.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart1.jpg (23.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart2.jpg (21.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart3.jpg (20.2 KB, 0 views)
ryantracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
bbbdale
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1999 EZ-GO Electric/Battery connections

See if this sticky explains what you are trying to accomplish.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=1536
bbbdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:50 PM   #3
ryantracy
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for that. In all the diagrams i've looked at I've not seen anything that calls out which wire goes where. (i.e. "wire closes to battery pack" or "wire on passenger side", etc.). That probably doesn't exist officially but was hoping someone has faced this before and/or knows how to identify which wire is + and which is -.

I'm also a noob and not super knowledgable on electrical, so I may be making a big assumption that it matters or not.

Thanks again!
Old 09-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #4
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

When I first got my cart, all I knew was that any thing electrical has to have positive going in and negative going back....You just have to follow the wires, sometimes it helps to put "red" highlites along positive wires to keep up with your particular carts wiring. Cart that old, you also have to watch for wires that someone has replaced a green wire with an orange or black wire over the years. Mine was a mess, but I finally figured it all out (after days of confusion). One thing it did for me was I am a lot more knowledgeable about my cart. I also found some things on it ( and fixed) that would have caused me problems later. Hang in there and keep asking questions. Remember, there are no "dumb questions" here. Everyone has (or have had) to learn about the things. Any problems you have, someone else will have or has had the same problem, that's what makes this place so great.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
ryantracy
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Bama Brad. It's definitely been a learning experience. I've done ok thus far but the sparking concerns me a little (okay, a lot). Part of me wants to just force myself to make that connection but I've never been much of a welder. lol. That and I really don't want to blow up the cart after all this hard work!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO