lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Masterplumber76
Not Yet Wild

Default 08 yamaha Drive upgrade questions

My first cart will be here next week. It is a little slower than I would like. Especially beings the guys i golf with have faster carts(nothing outrageous). Plan on putting a 3" lift with 22 x 12 wheels and tires. The larger tires should make the cart a little faster or am i mistaken? I would like to get to around the 20 MPH mark. With that tires size what other upgrade would I have to make to get me to the 20 MPH mark.....of course if it would go a little faster I can always let of the accelerator a little bit.....easier to do that than complain about not enough speed....thanks i advance for any help...
Masterplumber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Masterplumber76
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 08 yamaha Drive upgrade questions

shoot......forgot about the one ? rule....of course it mainly about speed....dont want my first post ever to be deleted....lol.....hopefully this is within the rules of the site.....sorry if not.....im a newbie
Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
swampsat
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplumber76 View Post
My first cart will be here next week. It is a little slower than I would like. Especially beings the guys i golf with have faster carts(nothing outrageous). Plan on putting a 3" lift with 22 x 12 wheels and tires. The larger tires should make the cart a little faster or am i mistaken? I would like to get to around the 20 MPH mark. With that tires size what other upgrade would I have to make to get me to the 20 MPH mark.....of course if it would go a little faster I can always let of the accelerator a little bit.....easier to do that than complain about not enough speed....thanks i advance for any help...
you can do two things: Have your dealer put in a speed code kit which should be set to code: E Or take the OEM motor out and put a 4.3 motor in

Cost

Speed code: under $150.00
Motor $450.00 + labor
swampsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Masterplumber76
Not Yet Wild

so the plumquick motor swap is not a good option? I was looking at the 225.00 upgrade. dont know much about electric carts and what it would do as far as battery run time over the course of a day of golf.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
cre73
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Masterplumber,
If you decide to go the Plumquick route let me know how it goes, that is what I am considering but can't seem to find confirmation that this works well with stock controller.
cre73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Masterplumber76
Not Yet Wild

Have you talked with plumquick at all? I am going to call them first and see if they have any answers before I decide anything. Just going to use the cart for golf, but, Am going to do a 3" lift with 22" wheel kit and see where it goes from there. Remember....He who has the fastest cart never has a Bad lie.....
Old 04-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
cre73
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Haven't spoke with him yet. I would like someone else to do it first and get some type of confirmation. Plus hate to be without the cart for a week right now as I believe you have to remove and send your current motor in.
cre73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Any motor upgrade with a stock controller on a DRIVE will disappoint you, the stock controller is only rated 265 amps. i have been down this road, with only 265amps at your disposal you will be trading (loosing) torque to gain speed. with bigger diameter wheels, the lack of torque only gets worse.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Masterplumber76
Not Yet Wild

So the PQ "bandit" upgrade and larger tires wouldn't be worth it if I didn't change the controller? What controller would you suggest to go with those modifications? Not looking for land speed records....just want to get around the course a little faster......
Old 07-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The speed code option is the cheapest way to go...It gives you 19 mph without having to change anything...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha