lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Marathon steering rack

Hello, does anyone know why E-Z-GO made the tie rod end of the steering rack unserviceable? My tie rod is welded on the threads. My manual suggests that if the tie rod or ball joint need replaced then I need to replace the entire Rack and Rod assembly. I'm thinking I can grind off the weld, replace the tie rod, and re tack it but before I do... what might have been the reason for this weld originally ? Thanks...
iaefebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon steering rack

i never saw one welded, it sounds like a fast repair was done somewere down the line.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzamaker View Post
i never saw one welded, it sounds like a fast repair was done somewere down the line.
Well, This is the only cart I ever worked on so I am not sure what is normal. All the manuals I've looked at show the rack and rod as a assembly. PN# 15407-g1
the tie rod is not listed as a separate item. I just thought the tack weld was the way they prevented removal. The manual say's the tie rod end has to be replaced as a unit.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

its been a while but i'm pretty sure you can cut the weld and screw a new one on.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

OK I think I know the logic behind the tie rod end. It appears to me without removing the old one that the OAL of the threaded end is somewhat shorter than a normal tie rod end. There are fewer threads engaged than usual. With the possibility of separation much quicker? or because it is a modified part...E-Z-go put a tack weld on. Now with a modified standard part there is no longer a part number. Any thoughts out there?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
OK I think I know the logic behind the tie rod end. It appears to me without removing the old one that the OAL of the threaded end is somewhat shorter than a normal tie rod end. There are fewer threads engaged than usual. With the possibility of separation much quicker? or because it is a modified part...E-Z-go put a tack weld on. Now with a modified standard part there is no longer a part number. Any thoughts out there?
it May be the standard right thread tie tod end, you can buy the ends! at one of the sponsers or e-bay ,etc.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks Pizzamaker, I have a couple extra tie rod ends so that is not an issue. I was curious about the engineering thought behind the non replaceable end. I can't imagine why E-Z-GO would recommend replacing the entire rack. This was over 30 years ago when they designed this. I think at that time they more interested about service on the cart and not selling after market parts. I don't really need to replace the tie rod end but since I have my cart down to bear bones and had the extra tie rod end I would replace it. I will take some pics and post Sunday. I may or may not just tear it apart out of curiosity. Thanks again for your help. Jim
Old 06-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
gaston
Gone Wild

on the beginning there were no regulations nor good engineering on these carts, they were trying to make them cheap, affordable or whatever it could hit big markets, even today you see poor engineering in some of the golf car parts... I have 2 marathon and just checked and both are heavily welded too
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Marathon steering rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
on the beginning there were no regulations nor good engineering on these carts, they were trying to make them cheap, affordable or whatever it could hit big markets, even today you see poor engineering in some of the golf car parts... I have 2 marathon and just checked and both are heavily welded too
gaston Thanks for checking this out for me. A heavily welded spot weld is exactly what I have. I thought that this might be normal but was not sure. Thanks for looking.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
gaston
Gone Wild

you welcome, I learn also!
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO