lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Obee
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Questions on Carb Screws

I have an 1987 EZ-GO cart that is down on power. Feels like a fuel issue although pulling out the choke only makes it worse. Fuel pump is pumping a nice full stream of fuel and I have checked all lines and installed clamps where PO had wire ties.

Been reading other post via the search and have not found out what I wan to know about the screw with the "red" circle around it. [URL=http://img847.imageshack.us/i/222ms.jpg/]

I had this out to check it and the holes were clear but is the hole suppose to go all the way through the top of the screw? Mine doesn't or is plugged tighter than a fat ladies sock. This is the main question for now that I would like to know.

The screw with the "green outline" I turned in and seated then backed it out 2 1/2 turns for now.

Compression is 120+ and had the muffler apart at flange and separated with no change. Shot carb cleaner by the rear crank seal and no change. Don't know quite where to spray for the front one?

Changed and gapped plug, checked plug wire and cleaned both ends.

Regards, Jeff
Obee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Questions on Carb Screws

Check accelerator cable. Could be loose or broken.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The "screw" in red is your slow runing nozzle. The hole in the top goes nowhere. If you remove it you should see two orifices running across the nozzle. These might need cleaning. The screw in green is the slow running bypass screw and 2 1/2 turns out is a good place to start.

Before you get too caught up with seals and so on the next logical step is to clean the main jet and the main nozzle. Have you done this? Do you want to? Would you like some instructions? Just shout out.

BTW you have a missing spring on your throttle cable you need to correct that as it ensures that the throttle closes completely and prevents backfires as well as enabling the governor to work.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Box; 07-16-2011 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: info
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Here's a diagram with ALL the jets that often require cleaning, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to start by pulling the carb and removing/cleaning all of these - at the very least you'll be going into the troubleshooting process with ALL your carb bases covered

BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Obee
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank You so much for the pic!

Will I need a rebuild kit for the carb or will it come apart and not need any gaskets/o-rings for the jet cleaning? Yes, I would appreciate any info/tips on cleaning the carb if it is any different than an automotive carb.

I am completely new to 2 strokes and have no clue how they operate. I however am very mechanically inclined as I work on the 4 stroke engines in the automotive segment so I am completely comfortable with doing any work on this cart that it may need. Just need to understand how they work.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Regards, Jeff
Old 07-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Jeff,
Here is a nice article on the two stroke operation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_stroke
As you are clearly au fait with engines in general there is no need to take small steps here, so remove the carburetor using a 10mm open ended wrench. Turn it upside down and remove the nut that holds the bowl on (#12 above). This is actually the main jet so you will need to clean the orifices very well. Remove the float (#6)and the little needle valve(#14). looking up into the chamber you will see another brass screw (#9). This is the main nozzle, remove it and make sure that it is very clean. With a q tip and some cleaner clean the seat of the needle valve. Now ensure that the inner chamber and the float bowl and clean and you may just let them soak overnight and re- assemble. Turning the carburetor over remove the slow running nozzle (#15, your one in red) and give that a clean and you are done.
When you put the accelerator cable back on first find a ball point pen with a click button and remove the spring. Thread the cable through the carburetor arm, thread the spring on the cable and then place the screw clamp on the cable. Compress the spring by about a third of its length and tighten the screw clamp. Now when you release the throttle the butterfly will be tight shut with the pressure of the spring and your governor will work.
I note from your picture that it apears you still have the oil pump connected. In the fullness of time you may want to ditch that but we can save that plan for another day.
Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Obee
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave!

I have the oil pump disabled and mix my oil. I just left everything there and put a ball bearing in the hoses to block them off. This is one of the first mods I learned when I joined this site and found it in a search.

Thank you for pointing out the spring deal on the throttle, I haven't had any problems with it yet but will do the mod.

Will post back in a couple days about the carb cleaning good or bad.

Regards, Jeff
Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Obee
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Took carb off, didn't seem dirty or any holes plugged but sprayed them good and blew them out. The float seemed a lil' high so I lowered the level a lil' and it runs better now. Not as good as when I first got it but decent.

Only have 4 more weeks of golf left before son goes back to college so I will be happy if it runs like this till then. This fall/winter it needs some paint and a seat plus some other lil' things redone.

Thank You for your help, it is appreciated!

Regards, Jeff
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO