lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
lv125403
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 Marathon 2 cycle weak up hills

I just replaced the clutch on my cart, but it is still weak up hills. The clutch was def bad because the bushings were worn out and it made a terrible racket. I was hoping changing it would let it move to a lower ratio faster and help it on the hills. Does anyone know how wide and how long the belt is supposed to be? The belt seems awful loose on the pulleys and if I am thinking properly, a longer belt would result in a higher gear ratio. I bought it from a 3rd party and have no way of asking the previous owner if he was sure the belt is original. BTW, my new clutch don't look like I can shim the spring. Thanks
lv125403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 Marathon 2 cycle weak up hills

The belt should be loose at idle/not running. What does the belt measure? Also, have you jacked up the cart and watched the operation of both clutches?
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

Whitch clutch did you replace? drive ( on the motor) or driven clutch(on the rear end)? My 87 have a weak spring in the driven clutch. The belt would go down the clutch and would not come back up to the top when slowing down until I stoped. I took the clutch apart and streched the spring and shimed it. Now I can go almost any ware I want to go.
sharse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
lv125403
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the drive clutch, sorry I didn't specify. I have watched the clutches at work. I actually drove it up a hill with the seat removed so I could watch. When I started up the hill, the driven clutch went to almost its absolute largest diameter. I did measure the belt, and if they are measured by outside circumference, mine seems to be approx. 1 inch too long at 46 inches. I checked to make sure my exhaust isn't clogged and tested the compression. It read 120 psi, which sounds good but I'm not sure what the specs are, do any of you? Could a belt being 1 inch too long make a drastic difference? I talked to a Golf cart shop who often deals in the older model 2 stroke ez go carts and he claims if they are running right, he could pull a car around with one. I have never been stumped by anything that runs on gas and has wheels before, but this problem is kicking my butt.
lv125403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

maybe I'm barking up a tree. However ,have you tried backing up a hill to see if you have the same problem. My cart is an 88 and it is faster and has more power in reverse. I have read that this is caused by the crankshaft seals going bad and they will seal better in reverse. Not saying this is your problem, but just something to check out. Actually if everything is working right a shorter belt will help, but some guys don't like them, my cart tends to creep when starting with it more than it should.
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The belt size is 45"L x 1 3/16"W. IIRC they were around $40 new.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Vavoomskill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'd grab a new belt to start Then you might look in to shimming the driven clutch spring or replacing it if you can find one...
Vavoomskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO