lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
hertge
Not Yet Wild

Default starting issue

Bought a used 2005 club car precedent. The day I bought it was cold and was slow to start, thought just needed choked. I still has trouble getting started even when its warmed up. The starter/gen isn't wanting to turn. Once it gets going starts and runs fine. Starter is slow and when I feather the throttle it starter kicks in. Anything I can test or replace would be helpful. Thanks
hertge is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: starting issue

Start by checking the battery.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
hertge
Not Yet Wild

Not the battery I don't think. Sometimes it starts right up, no real pattern sometimes starts and sometimes when I feather the throttle and sometimes takes several minutes. Would that be the micro switch?? When it doesn't start the start/gen motor is not turning. I'll put the booster pack on the battery just to make sure its not the battery.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

My cousin's 2001 Club Car had a similar issue a few weeks ago. Are you 100% sure the S/G isn't spinning? A loose belt (the skinny belt) can cause your issue. Unless you really get your head in there and watch the pulley, it can be hard to tell.

On ours, the small S/G belt was loose. We tightened it up and it ran great after that.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
hertge
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I'll check that.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
zombiehunter
Not Yet Wild

Mine sounds similar. I have a new S/G belt to go on but just charged my battery fully. I get 13.2v across the posts...is that enough?
zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertge View Post
Bought a used 2005 club car precedent. The day I bought it was cold and was slow to start, thought just needed choked. I still has trouble getting started even when its warmed up. The starter/gen isn't wanting to turn. Once it gets going starts and runs fine. Starter is slow and when I feather the throttle it starter kicks in. Anything I can test or replace would be helpful. Thanks
Could be ground issue. You can test it with a jumper cable. Connect one end to the ground terminal on the endcap of the starter/generator (has a ground strap to the frame rail above). Connect the other end to the (-) terminal of the battery. Try starting it like that & see if that cures the slow starter.

Zombiehunter: A 12 volt starting battery is fully charged at 12.6 volts at rest.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
zombiehunter
Not Yet Wild

hrmmm...it'll start right up if hooked to a battery tender or fresh. I think my lights might be more than that lil baby battery can handle. I might just pull it out and have AutoZone or wherever test it.

Why do I think a 6v should be 7.2 and a 12v 14.4v any thoughts? I could have sworn I read that somewhere reputable.
zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Charging system for a 12 volt should be 14.4 (aprox) when the engine is running, not the battery by itself.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #10
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Normal auto charge voltage is 13.8, golf cart charge voltage is higher because of all the start, stop start takes more out of a battery than start and run for an hour or so.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car