lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2020, 07:00 AM   #11
93yamslammer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Free G9, But a Busted Engine

Sounds like someone had a project going and got really discouraged about finishing it. Loaded it up and dumped it. But I am glad you are going to save it. I wish I could find a random G9 around here so I can have spare parts.
93yamslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2021, 07:38 PM   #12
Tyler_Veasey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Finally got this thing home to FL and decided to really look at it. Turns out the engine is in quite good shape, it was just unbolted and rattling around loose with all the accessories disconnected. Bolting the engine back to the mounts, replacing the broken exhaust studs and fixing a couple of broken wires and hooking up my club car battery I managed to spin the engine with the starter. Compression is 152psi which I’ll take all day long. I won’t be running it for a while till I get more of the wiring sorted and will need to replace the key switch since its housing is cracked and it appears someone hooked in some jumpers to bypass it. Also there are two red wires that I cannot decipher bundled in with the section of the harness running back to the voltage regulator and backup buzzer, the other end is just popped out of the harness between the battery and solenoid and cut. Maybe an aftermarket light? but I can’t find any mounts for anything like that.
Anyway, the engine spins and has compression, I’m 1/3 of the way to having it running in a basic sense. Spark is next then once I clean the carb I can give it fuel and the triangle is complete!
Tyler_Veasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:01 PM   #13
Tyler_Veasey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

This thing is turning into a Diamond in the rough. I replaced the broken key switch, fixed all the wiring and viola I had both the starter spinning with the accelerator pedal switch activated AND spark. So I hooked up the carb and throttle cable, ran a fuel line & funnel into the carb and with a little gas the engine started and ran great. The wife is convinced that it is now worth keeping. Now all I need to make it “safe” and drivable in the most basic sense is brake drums, the support bracket for the exhaust, and the bolts for the seat and bolsters. Oh yeah and proper lug nuts since I just screwed on some common M12 nuts on the junkyard wheels. Should probably get an air box, unless these can run with a cone filter? Anyone know?
Old 01-11-2021, 08:16 AM   #14
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Veasey View Post
This thing is turning into a Diamond in the rough. I replaced the broken key switch, fixed all the wiring and viola I had both the starter spinning with the accelerator pedal switch activated AND spark. So I hooked up the carb and throttle cable, ran a fuel line & funnel into the carb and with a little gas the engine started and ran great. The wife is convinced that it is now worth keeping. Now all I need to make it “safe” and drivable in the most basic sense is brake drums, the support bracket for the exhaust, and the bolts for the seat and bolsters. Oh yeah and proper lug nuts since I just screwed on some common M12 nuts on the junkyard wheels. Should probably get an air box, unless these can run with a cone filter? Anyone know?
You can run it with an aftermarket filter, it'll likely run a little bit lean and you might have to fiddle with the jets. I've found aftermarket "performance" filters to be all over the board with quality and flow. I always use K&N and UNI, they are good. Anything else is a crap shoot.

The Yamaha G2/G9 carts are absolute tanks! Nice job with getting it going.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:48 AM   #15
Tyler_Veasey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for that slonomo I’ve tuned many a carb on old Japanese two strokes, may have to break out the little screwdrivers again.
Also in addition to an air box I’m trying to find some of the oddball parts for this staring with the exhaust stay (see photo, item 5) I don’t relish the idea of the weight of muffler hanging on the two flange studs alone.
Anyone have a good source for vintage parts? Google has turned up nothing.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #16
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

If you cannot obtain one, you could possibly use a piece of flat bar and drill holes to suit!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:47 AM   #17
kenhouser
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

little high but here is one
https://www.ebay.com/i/383896426038?...QaAllBEALw_wcB

or some of that slotted angle iron at the big box stores
kenhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #18
Tyler_Veasey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yeah flat bar stock was my backup plan. Waiting till mid-morning to check on an old golf cart yard near me to see if they have any junk G9s.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:19 PM   #19
Tyler_Veasey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

This morning I was in my garage shuffling through a pile of random parts that I picked up out of the ditch where this cart was found, and sure enough I found the exhaust bracket, so that's one less thing I have to worry about. Still no airbox but I've got a foam filter sock from an old ATV that I never installed and I can hack together a cage to clamp to the carb, also I ordered a new set of brakes and drums since those had been stripped when I found it. Once those get here the cart will technically be in drivable condition. This of course assumes that the diaphragm fuel pump is in good shape and the ignition doesn't flame out when it heats up. Time will tell.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:35 AM   #20
Tyler_Veasey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Previous post was prescient apparently. Got a temporary air filter on the carb, changed oil in the engine and rear end and put the brakes back together with new parts, scavenged the battery out of my Club Car Carryall1 since the wife didn't like that cart anyway and I've been driving this thing with her and the dog pretty regularly. I have noticed however that on a long drive (20 minutes or more) if I come to a complete stop for whatever reason the engine will not restart until I let it cool down. Luckily the few times its happened we've managed to be pretty close to home by that point and since I've got passengers I haven't bothered to swing the seat open and check for fuel leaks at the pump and/or spark and its an easy push back to the garage but in each case the engine would start back up by the time we got home. Would be worthwhile to clean the fuel pump anyway.

BTW yes the engine is running lean with the temp filter, it pops occasionally on decelerations but nothing too bad. There is a cart junkyard not too far from here I haven't had a chance to visit but I'd be willing to bet I can score an airbag and hopefully a roof for this cart there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha