lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 99 TXT gas build, The DAWG! Jakes LT and 670 Predator

Ok, so, decision is made, big stuff ordered, motor has arrived, so I thought I would start a thread to document the build. Maybe someone in the future can get something out of it...maybe even me.

Starting with a stock 99 EZGO TXT with 295cc Robin that came with seized and broken rod.

While the plan was always to "BUILD IT", I tried to repair the motor first. No luck, crankshaft is shot. Had it running a couple times, but seized up both times shortly after assembly. Just couldn't get oil to the crankshaft journals. Enter, new in box, Predator 670.
Shipped fast even amid the RONA pandemic delivery delay issues for everything else. Jake's LT and front disk brakes ordered mid July direct from Jake's. No word yet on ETA. Vegas Carts v-twin kit on its way too...again, no ETA. High speed gears coming, 8:1 and should be here anyday.

Added oil, battery and gas tank, and verified engine runs. I will likely run it unloaded for a few hours for initial break in while I do the rear end work and body work. Only things I can do till other big parts arrive.
Still need wheels and tires. I want to go up to 26 or 27 with 14" wheels. How tall can I go on a standard Jake's LT?
All the wheels I like are out of stock, so gonna wait. Maybe something I like will pop up in a combo. Funny, cant seem to find 25" cart tire combos with 14" rims anywhere...seems odd. Either 25s with 12s, or 23s with 14s. If I am gonna buy em separate...might as well go bigger.

Anyway...its a start and where I am. Lets see how long it takes to get the parts. Any guesses on which will show up first? the VC or Jake's stuff?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200705_121350.jpg (287.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200826_163832.jpg (244.8 KB, 0 views)
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 TXT gas build, The DAWG! Jakes LT and 670 Predator

It all can be done, I did my cart this way and took a better part of a year to put it all together. I found my tires on eBay 25" x 14", had to search for them.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, so first...I am an idiot. Use the sticky on body removal in detail. Don't get ahead of yourself. The two rivets in front of the rear wheel on the passenger side should be knocked off with a chisel. A drill can reach the gas tank and you will be scurrying around trying to find something to catch a full tank of gas in.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, so after dealing with the gas tank mishap...Dawg is naked and engine removed. Email today, VC shipment will be here in two days...so that question is answered. Looks like this weekend it gets cleaned up and engine installed...might even get the body work started, prepped for paint.

As a side note, I posted a pic of the old Robin 295, the new Predator 670, and a Predator 212 all side by side for size comparison. That Predator is big.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200827_181305.jpg (166.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200827_191110.jpg (190.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200827_201733.jpg (161.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, 8:1 gears came in, and I pulled the transaxle and installed them. Haven't closed the case yet, or put them in the cart, but the gears are installed. I took photos along the way. Ya'll think its worth starting a thread for EZGO TXT high speed gear install, uploading the photos and a description of the process, or is there enough out there and it isn't necessary?
Old 08-29-2020, 09:11 PM   #6
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
Well, 8:1 gears came in, and I pulled the transaxle and installed them. Haven't closed the case yet, or put them in the cart, but the gears are installed. I took photos along the way. Ya'll think its worth starting a thread for EZGO TXT high speed gear install, uploading the photos and a description of the process, or is there enough out there and it isn't necessary?
I think an install thread with detailed pics would be great .
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:53 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
That Predator is big.
Well, the 670 is 670cc....The stock engine is what? 295cc? More than twice the size, but it will be 3x the power.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:54 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mule View Post
I think an install thread with detailed pics would be great .
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:52 AM   #9
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the photos...just need to get them moved over to the computer, and then get some time to write it up. Later this week hopefully. Is there a way to move the photos within the text? I think I have tried it before, but they end up at the end.

Got the Vegas Carts kit in from FedEx yesterday(Sunday delivery, imagine that), so the motor will be going in first...just got the rear end fitted back to the cart last night. Seems like a lot of rotational play in the rear end. Nothing changed in the differential, just the drive gears. Didn't take anything apart below the drive gear set...is there normally a lot of play? Axle is in with the ring clip, so there is no lateral movement, just rotational play.

Also, they say you can't put the twin kit in without a lift. My lift is still another month out, for sure, so I am going to try and install it on the unlifted cart, and see where my clearance (or lack there of) is. Might have to make some lift blocks for the time being, but we will see.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:29 AM   #10
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

JPonLKN; you post pics within the text.

After going under 'manage attachments' and uploading your images, you can paste them within the body of your write up by clicking on the paperclip icon in the top toolbar and selecting which uploaded image you want to add.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO