lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #21
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Default Re: North Carolina Laws

I ride mine all around the house, sometimes 25-30 mile trips. I do live in the country but I do cross a 4 lane highway to get liquid necessities and smokes. I've been passed by sherrifs and troopers and all they do is wave, then I pull the beer out from under my shirt after they've passed.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #22
MtHollyMan
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Our city attorney constantly says: "you know you're going to be the first councilman to ever be arrested while in office right?" I just nod my head and say... "Probably"
MtHollyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #23
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

FWIW here is what I did.

First, I went to my DMV here in Norcross, a busy suburb of Atlanta. I told them "I understand the laws have changed and I am here to license my golf cart". She had several questions such as "Do you have a VIN? (No)" and "How fast is your cart (10 mph)". After some conferncing with her supervisor, she returned with a prinout and stated that I did not need to get a license for my cart, but I did have to abide by these (new) laws. The print out stated lights, horn, mirror, seat belts, Slow moving vehicle badge, posted speed limit 25 mph or less, amber beacon, daylight hours only, no passengers under 6 years old and must have a valid Ga drivers license. I dont have it in font of me, but I think thats it. So, I noted on this printout who I spoke to and what she told me. I keep this in a notebook in the cart at all times.

Secondly, I got on my computer and wrote to the city manager of the city I live in, Norcross. After much forwarding around I had an email form a Norcross police person stating that the use of my cart was OK, as long as I abided by the laws of Gwinnett county (my county). He also stated that according to my address, I was outside of Norcross' city limits and I would need to contact Gwinnett county for use in my subdivision.

I looked up the Gwinnett couny website abd sent several emails out and 2 people returned my email. One said that they were the wrong dept and that they didnt know where to direct me. One was a nice guy who said that according to state law, Golf carts are legal and that according to my email (I stated that I intended to use my cart in the subdivision) my cart "Would be allowed". This was a police officer who signed the email with his name and badge number.

So, I took all this correspondence and punched 3 holes in it all with a paper punch and have kept it always with me in my cart to prove that I have "done the best I could" to understand and abide by the law. I have never been ticketed. I just wave at cops and they wave back. If i do get ticketed, I could put up a good defense stating that I had done my very best to understand and adhere to the law.

The reason not much attention is paid to golf cart laws is that nobody (in Georgia anyway) makes any tax revenue from them. Hope this long winded comment helps!
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #24
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHollyMan View Post
Our city attorney constantly says: "you know you're going to be the first councilman to ever be arrested while in office right?" I just nod my head and say... "Probably"

You go to the office at night?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #25
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Here is a link that might help you out. This is a Club Car exec writing about Georgias new laws re Golf Carts:

http://www.clubcar.com/documents/pre...eetDriving.pdf

I bet this guy knows the laws in your state. Write him a letter, or give him a call. Cant hurt. I bet he can at least tell you where to go.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #26
KTKelly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Simple really....

To be street legal in NC the cart MUST have a VIN and all the other requirements listed elsewhere in this thread, so the cart can have a registration and tags (just like your car) issued.

In some locals (some of the beach towns), it's not necessary to have a "street legal" cart, while in others it is.

You need to check with your local city, town, county or what not.

I have a place on Oak Island, NC and out there the city does require "street legal" with tags, insurance, etc, etc, UNLESS the driver has a legal handicap placard.
KTKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #27
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I know this thread hasn't been touched in a while, but I'm hoping someone can provide me with a couple of answers or suggestions.

First of all I would like to apologize in advance for this lengthy post. I have been trying to get my town of Lenoir, NC, to create a golf cart ordinance so that I can use one of my carts on the streets. So far I have had no luck as they decided to take the issue “under advisement” which means they are not going to do anything. Therefore, I am hoping someone can help me with a couple of questions regarding operating an LSV on city streets in North Carolina.

1. Can a licensed and insured LSV be used in any NC town or does the town need to adopt an LSV ordinance? In other words, could I use an LSV in my town even if the council has not created any kind of ordinance for carts or LSVs?

2. I have a CC Precedent with most of the required safety equipment (lights, seat belts, horn, turn signals, brake lights, etc.) but it does NOT have a 17-digit VIN. I also have a CC “Humdinger" with all of the safety equipment AND a 17-digit VIN, but some of the digits are worn off from the VIN sticker. Since Ultra Carts - the manufacturer of the Humdinger - is no longer in business, I have no way of contacting them to see if I can get the complete VIN. Could either of these vehicles be made into a street-legal LSV, and if so, which one would be easier?

Any information, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated!
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #28
KTKelly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Most any cart can be made into a street legal LSV. I know there are a few companies that are authorized to make the changes and issue a title. I think most are located near the coast though so it doesn't really help you.

Maybe check with some of the cart sellers near you and see if they can do it and not charge an arm and a leg since your cart still has part of the vin attached.

Even though state laws does allow for street legal LSV's, usually the towns will have the own regulations.

Southport, NC allows equipped carts without tags Oak Island NC. requires a vin, tags and insurance (with the exception of those with a handicap placard).

Requirements:

VIN, head lights, tail lights, turn signals, brake lights, horn, wiper (manual), DOT windshield, rear view mirrors (in and out), and seat belts.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #29
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr3 View Post
I know this thread hasn't been touched in a while, but I'm hoping someone can provide me with a couple of answers or suggestions.

First of all I would like to apologize in advance for this lengthy post. I have been trying to get my town of Lenoir, NC, to create a golf cart ordinance so that I can use one of my carts on the streets. So far I have had no luck as they decided to take the issue “under advisement” which means they are not going to do anything. Therefore, I am hoping someone can help me with a couple of questions regarding operating an LSV on city streets in North Carolina.

1. Can a licensed and insured LSV be used in any NC town or does the town need to adopt an LSV ordinance? In other words, could I use an LSV in my town even if the council has not created any kind of ordinance for carts or LSVs?

2. I have a CC Precedent with most of the required safety equipment (lights, seat belts, horn, turn signals, brake lights, etc.) but it does NOT have a 17-digit VIN. I also have a CC “Humdinger" with all of the safety equipment AND a 17-digit VIN, but some of the digits are worn off from the VIN sticker. Since Ultra Carts - the manufacturer of the Humdinger - is no longer in business, I have no way of contacting them to see if I can get the complete VIN. Could either of these vehicles be made into a street-legal LSV, and if so, which one would be easier?

Any information, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

So what you are saying is NC allows for LSV. The best thing to do in my opinion is to get your cart registered as an LSV. Get your tag, insurance, etc and then follow state law. Carry a copy of NC statute with you and show the police if they give any issue. You must make sure you follow state LSV law as far as what roads you can drive on MPH wise and what road you can cross but not drive on MPH wise. As far as the two carts since you cannot get the MCO for the humdinger because they are out of business either cart would be about the same effort to license. However, if NC is like FL we need to show a bill of sale to register our carts and if the street legal items are not listed on the bill of sale you need to produce receipts for each item and pay tax on them. Of course like everything, there are ways to beat this but this might not be relevant in NC.

Just an additional bit of insight regarding your state law question(**This is not legal advice**) Remember a state constitution is the highest legal authority in a state. The state enacts statutes based on your state constitution and that applies to all NC citizens. Then individual counties and municipalities enact laws which are usually ordinances but this ordinance power is given to them via a grant by your state constitution. Those ordinances or local laws apply to everyone in that municipality or county and not outside of that. Whatever ordinance or local law that is passed cannot be broader than whatever is granted to them by state constitution. Now one caveat is that a local law can be more strict than a state law but not less strict. So in your case with LSV laws technically they most likely could not ban them just in your city or municipality, etc. but they could make a more strict law. A very common example of a more strict requirement is LSVs being legal in a state but your local county or municipality requires LSV owners to not only license their cart per state laws but also pay an additional fee and obtain a sticker once a year from your local city office. Sorry for the legal lesson I can’t help it because it's my line of work and I love practicing and teaching the law.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:58 PM   #30
KTKelly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post

So in your case with LSV laws technically they most likely could not ban them just in your city or municipality, etc. but they could make a more strict law. A very common example of a more strict requirement is LSVs being legal in a state but your local county or municipality requires LSV owners to not only license their cart per state laws but also pay an additional fee and obtain a sticker once a year from your local city office. .
Actually the state law covers this, and allows the municipalities to do their own thing.

Yes, they can ban them entirely. Ban them from specific roads, etc. etc.

They cannot however require any extra fees or stickers over and above the typical annual inspection just like any other licensed vehicle.

At the beach town I am in you can have a non legal cart if you have a handicap placard, while the next town over requires only that the cart have the required equipment (no one is checking though).

Honestly, the local police don't bother anyone with a cart, as long as they are not on the higher speed limit areas or driving on the sidewalks or shoulders.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!