lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Workhorse and MPT...I have my work cut out for me

First of these ugly beasts to get working is the MPT. I'm guessing it is the 800 model as it is a short wheel base. I can't determine the year of mfg...the tag has been removed from the dash. If it helps, it has a pre-MCI motor as identified by the cast iron exhaust header, but it is older than 2001.5, as the steering box is on the axle, and has the single arm gear change switch. I'm guessing 2002/2003.

I got a functional starter/generator installed, tried hooking up the solenoid. Initially, it wouldn't start on pedal press. I had key on, pedal pressed, and jumped the solenoid and the motor turned over. It wouldn't quit turning over after letting up on the pedal, and turning off the key. During testing, I usually leave the positive terminal on the battery loose enough that I can twist it down tight on the tapered post, and can twist it off if needed, which is how I stopped the starter. I'm guessing the solenoid is getting stuck in the closed position when energized, and releases when it loses power as when the battery is reconnected, the solenoid is no longer energized. I have one red wire not connected and has no place to go, so not sure what it is yet. The red wire that goes to the reverse switch and buzzer is connected and functions, so it isn't that one. I found a few wiring diagrams for EZGO workhorse and TXT's but they don't seem to match up.

Anyone have a wiring diagram?

Once we get this thing turning over correctly, we can deal with the reported issue...backfiring out of carb, won't run.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2020, 08:08 PM   #12
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, doing a bit of research on these machines. The Workhorse is a 1200 GLX, 2003 model. The MPT has a missing data tag, but is at least a 2004, as that is when EZGO changed from "Workhorse" to "MPT", Multi-Purpose Truck. They made both 800 and 1200 series Gas models, and a 1000 series electric model. Mine appears to be the 800 series gas model.

The workhorse is missing the engine, starter generator, and who knows what else. Brakes and rear end work...frame appears solid, but i haven't pulled the floor up yet. A little rust on the bottom of the steel box. No lift, but it has the lift mounts. I suspect this will end up being my machine in the end...and it will get an electric actuator to lift the bed, so if anyone has recommendations on them, please, share. Thanks. I am guessing this was an MCI machine originally. I have both MCI and Pre-MCI engines available to put in it...I need to know if the electronics off the engine are different.

The MPT has a Pre-MCI engine in it...I have to believe it was an MCI machine originally. I have no way of knowing if they changed the electronics over from the original MCI set up to the Pre-MCI set up, if there even is a difference. Anyone know? Other than the coil, and exhaust, what else changed?
Old 10-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Watching this one! If you decide to go with the mci engine you will need the correct ignition parts, coil, exhaust etc to go with it.
Hey Cart,
or anyone that knows,
Do you know if there is anything in the machine, away from the engine that is dedicated to either MCI, or pre-MCI? I have read on a separate blog that you can't put a Pre-MCI motor in an MCI machine without a new wiring harness. I think the "mechanic" that worked on my 800 series MPT put a Pre-MCI motor a cart that originally had an MCI motor. While I can't tell the age of the machine, Its a guess based on age as they started using the MPT moniker in 2004, and they started using MCI motors in 2003. Since mine is labeled MPT, it should be 2004 or newer and an MCI machine. It definitely has a Pre-MCI motor in it now. What needs to change in the cart for the Pre-MCI ignition set up to work right. I think that might be the problem they were having with it.
20201028_102458.jpg

20201028_102453.jpg
Old 10-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #14
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

You have mci wiring and ignition components. I reckon that's your problem. You need to either change to mci engine, or change the engine loom and igniter to pre mci to make this work. I am not sure, but I think the coils may be different too. The ignition and other parts were changed to meet emmission regs but the regs changed again soon after and robin failed to comply. I believe this is the reason that ezgo went kawasaki!

Your ignition system basically does not work well with the pre mci flywheel timing as far as I recall.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #15
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

The MCI coil will work but you need the connector to plug it in or make you one. I have tried a MCI coil on the Pre-Mci engine and it will work fine. I got one on one of my carts now. I just wanted to make sure they work. I use this cart everyday and no issues.

I would use the pre mci pulser if you can fine one. Good luck on that one. Also like Cartmaster said you got to use the Pre-Mci ignitor. They still sell them at Country Cat but are over $200. Worth every penny. Stop you from throwing things if you get the OEM and not those cheap ones.

A wiring harness would be nice but you could make one yourself.

In 2018 I converted a 2004 workhorse that came with the MCI engine to the Pre Mci engine and my wife uses it all the time.

Even though those MCI engines start quicker on cold starts I don't like the oiling system that was used on the MCI's. The MCI cart I bought also had a hole in the block and I had a good 350 Pre Mci engine. Love it.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #16
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That is what I was wondering...and makes perfect sense to the symptoms (backfiring through the carb) that they reported. Something causes the timing of fire to be out of wack. Do you know what component off the motor would cause the timing to be off? If everything on the engine is pre-mci, flywheel, pulsar, ignitor, and coil, the firing timing should be controlled on the engine, correct? Does it receive any signal from inside the cart wiring harness? See that black box in the photo above.

The coils are different between MCI and Pre-MCI, different shape entirely, and the coil on this engine is a Pre-MCI coil, matches exactly with my older TXT coil. I have an MCI coil on one of the spare engines. I'm not looking at it now, but I think wire colors changed as well. I also found that the flywheel changed and the pre-MCI flywheel has a keyway, while the MCI flywheel does not. I am pretty sure the engine was re-built correctly as a pre-MCI engine with correct flywheel, pulsar, ignitor, and coil; however, nothing was done to the MCI cart wiring. Not sure what that black box is with all the wires going into are in my last post...the solenoid behind is simply a switch, so it shouldn't matter.

I have a pre-mci wire loom from my pre-MCI TXT that I converted to the 670 big block that is available, but was hoping to use that for the workhorse project if I needed it. Only have one MCI engine and I think both carts originally had MCI engines in them. Looks like I will be doing the engine swap and putting the MCI engine in this MPT and rewiring the workhorse when I put this motor in it.

How can i tell if the wiring loom is Pre-MCI or MCI? What are the tell tale signs?
Old 10-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #17
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Trig,
Looks like you were responding at the same time I was...didn't see your post.
It looks like I have an MCI ignitor in this cart and that is the problem, assuming that is the black box down by the solenoid. Good thing is, I have one that works...bad thing is that I only have one. Need to swap in the MCI engine. It is complete, so should work. Won't take too long to do. Just nuts and bolts, right? lol.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #18
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Yes, that black box is the igniter.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #19
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Yes, that black box is the igniter.
Thanks for the response Cart...that is exactly what I needed to hear. Now just need to get done with work and get the rain to quit.

Doing a bit of research on the difference between the MCI and Pre-MCI ignitors, and checking the workhorse, I have a pre-MCI ignitor on the Workhorse...and one from my old TXT...the latter of which I know is good, so I can use it in the MPT, and test the other one for use in the workhosre. Things are coming together...
Old 10-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #20
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In the US, what are ya'll doing with your old gas? I have been accumulating nasty old gas, varnish smelling stuff...some used to clean some stuff and has oil in it. I hate to just dump it...gotta take it at least an hour to the closest place I know will take it. That's a long way for no return on it. Is there any safe use for it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO